MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter charged with arson

Firefighter charged with arson for church fire, 3 others

FORT COLLINS (AP) - A 19-year-old volunteer firefighter charged with setting the fire that destroyed the 123-year-old Virginia Dale Community Church on fire also faces charges in three other blazes.

Austin Gene Mayo, of Livermore, was being held Saturday on a $500,000 bond at the Larimer County Detention Center. He was charged with two counts of first-degree arson for the fires at the church, and a fire at the Livermore Community Hall.

Mayo is also facing a felony second-degree arson charge and a misdemeanor second-degree arson charge for the torching of a haystack and a grass fire. The fires occurred between Nov. 10 and Nov. 18.

Mayo had worked as a volunteer firefighter in Livermore for 1 1/2 years.

His parents attended his court hearing Friday, were visibly shaken and offered a statement.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of the Virginia Dale Church. We are understandably concerned about our 19-year-old son, who has never been in trouble," said attorney George Blau, who read the statement.

Mayo is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing Jan. 6.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Oh man. I hope he wasn't an Atheist. The good thing is that it was 123 years old and if it was insured they can probably build a great new modern church in its place. At least the congregation can take some comfort that it was all part of their god's plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Cellblock776
    Oh man. I hope he wasn't an Atheist. The good thing is that it was 123 years old and if it was insured they can probably build a great new modern church in its place. At least the congregation can take some comfort that it was all part of their god's plan.
    Are you insane? It doesn't make any difference how old the building is. Did you ever stop to think that this may be an historical building? Is that a "good thing"? Honest to God, some people absolutely astound me.

FIGJAM

Firefighter charged with arson for church fire, 3 others
    Surprise, surprise!!

Seriously though, regardless of the building, this is a big problem.

I've just finished reading the book about the Fire Investigator, John Orr. WOW! What an eye opener....

I mean, this guy was meant to serve and protect the citizens, not set fires!
    Luke

Thread Information