MembersZone Subscriber

Default Special Operations

I am writing an article for our quarterly magazine "Backdraft". I was wondering if anybody knew when "Special Operations" was first used in the fire service? Thanks for your input.
    AJ

Forum Member

What do you mean by "special operations"? Such as a specialty unit like a rescue company? If so, Rescue 1 FDNY is the first/oldest rescue co. in the country. I believe they were formed around 1900 or 1901 but I may be off a little.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

The Cincinnati Fire Dept. had three salvage companies that were somewhat seperate of the fire department. They went to fires as salvage and overhaul guys. They also supplemented firefighters working the fire. One died from a fall through a skylight, another died while rescuing firefighters from poisonous gas fumes. They were formed in 1886 and I think they were around until the 60's.

They also have Squad 52, which was formed in 1913 as Engine 52 then reorganized as Life Saving Squad 52. If you go to the Squad 52 feature page, you can see some examples of the first SCBA to be used. Some of those are on display the fire museum.

Here's a link the CFD's history page:

CFD History Page
    Last edited by engine1321; 12-08-2003 at 04:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input. I am looking for when "Special Operations" was first used as a term to describe these different units.
    AJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The answer to that is uncertain. Each city had it's own term for specialized units. I think special ops is a relatively new term to be introduced. Not calling them that doesn't make them any less of a specialized unit.

As someone who has written articles before, I think an easier approach to write from would be the diversity and history of specialized units and terms used to describe them (ie FDNY Rescue 1 as opposed to CFD Squad 52). In my opnion, that would give you a broader area to discuss as well as compare.

Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess would be the use of the word special operations in the fire service came around during the 60's or 70's due to the Vietnam war and the use of special forces/operations. Once again just a guess, but it may be worth a look.

Bobby

FDNY Rescue 1 was organized in 1915, well, thats what my shirt says...

Thread Information