MembersZone Subscriber

Default BREAKING NEWS--Toronto Building Collapse

A theatre being demolished in downtown Toronto collapsed at about 1030hrs this AM. Adjacent buildings were damaged, including a private school. It is believed that 5 children from the school are trapped in the wreckage, and possibly some of the demolition workers.
    Toronto Fire Service has a 3rd alarm response on the scene.
    Further information when available

Forum Member

I've been listening to some of the reports on CHUM, let's hope this one has a happy ending. Keep us posted as you hear things please Ralph.

Forum Member

This is the first I have heard of it. I will keep the radio tuned to see if I can catch any info. Thank you for the update. Hope everyone comes out of this.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey NJ!

Check the archives. didn't the same thing happen in Jersey City about five yearsago...historic theater under construction collapsed on the building next door?

I found this on the JCFD website:
    On January 19, 1998, fire companies responded to a reported explosion and collapse at 2844 JFK Blvd. which was the old State Theater. Units arrived on the scene at 1417 hrs. and found a building collapse trapping 9 people in debris. All victims were extricated safely with minor injuries.
    If I remember correctly, this theater was also under demo and collapsed when wall supports removed. There were probably lessons learned here that were repeated up in Toronto.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 12-08-2003 at 03:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

According to CITY TV, one person is dead, between 1 and 3 people are trapped in the rubble and 5 people have been taken to hospital. According to a witness they were cutting some beams when the wall collapsed and fell onto the school next door.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

The latest information is, one adult dead, 14 people taken to hospital with a variety of injuries. There is one person known to be trapped, apparently they have visual contact with him. They are using search dogs and thermal image cameras to search the buildings, and the dogs have pointed out to areas of interest. The scene is described as being quite precarious.
    Still photos from the scene can be seen at this link.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...8-017/page.asp

:wow:

Did you read this on the link from Ralph:

The face of coverage of disasters like the Uptown Theatre collapse has changed forever. CityPulse viewers equipped with digital cameras, cell phones and e-mail sometimes all on one device - have sent us pictures of what they saw of the scene.

To see a close-up of them, click on the thumbnails below.

Which brings to mind this immediate question:

Has anyone here yet used a cellphone to send a pic to the ER of an auto accident or similiar scene??? Yes, I know we can take Polaroids, or in my dept's case we've sent a disk from our camera with jpegs on it. But this could be one step further.

Wonder about the application of this technology to give better information to State haz-mat teams, etc.

There's some neat remote-monitoring out there -- one I recall is Montgomery County, MD with it's traffic cams http://www.dpwt.com/jpgcap/130.html for instance. I hear some of the stations will check the website before leaving quarters to get a visual of the severity, etc of the incident.

Wonder when the was (or will be, but probably was) the first time a 911 dispatcher had a caller ask them if they could send a photo of what's happening!

For that matter, "Yes, hmm, a car on fire on the interstate? Could you send me a photo...hold on, ok got it, yeah ma'm, that would be an overheated radiator."

Oh well, enough rambling...just something about the immediacy of those non-media taken photos piqued my curiousity.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Toronto theatre collapses, one dead
    Last Updated Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:47:46
    TORONTO - One man was killed on Monday when a downtown Toronto theatre collapsed onto a neighbouring private school Monday. By late afternoon, one person was still missing.

Emergency crews in Toronto were digging through the rubble to free the person, Toronto Fire Chief Bill Stewart said. He said the condition of the person is unknown.

At least 14 people, including children and some demolition workers at the theatre, were taken to hospitals, mostly with minor injuries.

Stewart said a 10-year-old child had been taken to Sick Children's hospital. He had been on the second storey, but was found "below the second floor level," Steward said.

A wall of the Uptown Theatre, which was in the process of being demolished, fell onto the neighbouring Yorkville English Academy. Some of the injured were students at the academy, a school that teaches English as a second language.

Emergency crews are moving rubble by hand, and police search dogs have twice gone through the building looking for survivors.

Uptown Theatre after collapse
    (CBC News Online photo)

"It's going to be very painstaking, it's going to take an enormous amount of time," said Stewart.

Officials have put in place a no-fly zone within two kilometres of the scene. Fantino said that would help some of the equipment searchers are using to listen for survivors.

The school was one of several nearby buildings damaged in the collapse at about 10:35 a.m. ET.

Fire and rescue crews rushed to the scene near the busy Yonge-Bloor intersection, and closed Bloor Street between Yonge and Bay streets.

Tow trucks took parked cars away from the area to make room for emergency vehicles, and workers shut down gas in the area. The collapse did not affect subway lines under the structure.

The theatre was built in 1920, and served as a venue for movies and live shows.

Written by CBC News Online staff

H e a d l i n e s : C a n a d a
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    :wow:

Did you read this on the link from Ralph:

The face of coverage of disasters like the Uptown Theatre collapse has changed forever. CityPulse viewers equipped with digital cameras, cell phones and e-mail sometimes all on one device - have sent us pictures of what they saw of the scene.

To see a close-up of them, click on the thumbnails below.

Which brings to mind this immediate question:

Has anyone here yet used a cellphone to send a pic to the ER of an auto accident or similiar scene??? Yes, I know we can take Polaroids, or in my dept's case we've sent a disk from our camera with jpegs on it. But this could be one step further.

Wonder about the application of this technology to give better information to State haz-mat teams, etc.

There's some neat remote-monitoring out there -- one I recall is Montgomery County, MD with it's traffic cams http://www.dpwt.com/jpgcap/130.html for instance. I hear some of the stations will check the website before leaving quarters to get a visual of the severity, etc of the incident.

Wonder when the was (or will be, but probably was) the first time a 911 dispatcher had a caller ask them if they could send a photo of what's happening!

For that matter, "Yes, hmm, a car on fire on the interstate? Could you send me a photo...hold on, ok got it, yeah ma'm, that would be an overheated radiator."

Oh well, enough rambling...just something about the immediacy of those non-media taken photos piqued my curiousity.
    Quick lesson again from the Professor:

The proliferation of this type of media is exactly why it is more important than ever to establish a hard perimeter quickly. You do not want unauthorize d people sending photos of your scene. It may have injured or dead victims. It may be a crime scene. Establish the preimeter and keep them out.

I almost put that in Perfesser!

It brings up operational security issues -- we've all scene on Real TV and such shows the nuts telecast chases bring out, i.e. people waving, running in the streets, etc 'cause they know the cops are chasing someone down their street.

Now take a media that you don't have firm links to to even ask that they refrain from broadcasting. It brings up potential issues both from the well-meaning and from the not-so-well-meaning who are watching for moments of oppurtonity.

Then again...you know they'll be a day we'll be sitting here monday morning quarterbacking some incident in real time...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Final Update

The Toronto Fire Service states they have completed their search and there are no more victims in the building. There was only one fatality, and adult male, and 14 injuries. The Ministry of Labour has begun an investigation, and there will likely be a coroner's inquest. My congratulations to Toronto Fire, Toronto EMS, and Toronto Police for a job well done.

Note to George Wendt: A perimeter was set up by Toronto Police, but the building is in the heart of downtown and it is surrounded by many tall office and apartment buildings, which would have been impossible to clear. The pictures you saw appear, to me at least, to have been taken from those buildings, not by rubberneckers interfering with the scene. Your original point is well taken, you don't need the media and amateur photographers getting in the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Note to George Wendt: A perimeter was set up by Toronto Police, but the building is in the heart of downtown and it is surrounded by many tall office and apartment buildings, which would have been impossible to clear. The pictures you saw appear, to me at least, to have been taken from those buildings, not by rubberneckers interfering with the scene. Your original point is well taken, you don't need the media and amateur photographers getting in the way.
    Please don't get me wrong. I was not talking about this specific incident. I agree with your assessment of these photos. There was a teaching opportunity here that I was emphasizing.

If I'm not arguiing, I'm teaching

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Establish the preimeter and keep them out.

Aww..... No buffing in George's district?? *pout*

Kidding........

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CollegeBuff

Aww..... No buffing in George's district?? *pout*

Kidding........
    Not true. I love buffs. I have obtained some very useful and professional photos from them.

But rules are rules. Buff outside the perimeter.

Thread Information