Forum Member

Default How many DJ rounds are their

How manu Dear John round's are their any way? Does anybody know and is it over for the DJ's????????

Forum Member

Default 1 to 3

I received this from our State Fire Service dated 9/29/2003

Fire Act Grant - Denial Letters Round 1 of 3

The FY 2003 Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program, administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) United States Fire Administration (USFA), received an overwhelmingly positive response from fire departments across the nation. More than 20,000 fire departments submitted applications totaling $2.2 billion in requested federal funds.

FEMA began announcing FY 2003 AFG awards in June and will continue to announce FY 2003 awards until all funds available for competitive grants are awarded. At the current pace, all awards will be completed in the spring of 2004.

In spite of the fact that this program received record funding levels this year, not all grant requests will receive awards. FEMA currently projects that over 9,000 fire departments will receive awards for FY 2003. In recognition of the planning needs of departments, FEMA wants to ensure that all application decisions are issued to departments in a timely manner.

Beginning the week of September 29, 2003, FEMA/USFA will send a personal notification via e-mail from USFA Administrator R. David Paulison to over 5,000 departments stating that the grant program will not be able to fund their application this year. As the award decisions continue, FEMA will issue two to three additional rounds of denials.

Hope this helps, we too are still waiting.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Now I'm trying to remember and having no luck at it. I know first round went out to those that weren't peer reviewed, and there have been 2 since then correct? That and by my speculation ont he number of awards and how many total DJs went out it would appear that there would be one more round of DJs to go. Sound right to anyone else?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DJs

The first round went out around Oct. 1st. That's the round that didn't make it to peer review. The second round went out in early Nov. and the third round went out around Thanksgiving.

At least that's what I remember in reading these posts.

The worst part is in not knowing. I for one don't trust my ISP. I have had E-Mails lost in the past.

I sent FEMA a note through the mail center to see if any DJ letter would be copied in there. Their reply was that everything would be copied in the mail center. The problem is, not even the answer to that question was sent or copied into the mail center. So are we still in the running??

I guess I'll know for sure when it's over.

You'd think the "Grant status" page could at least tell you the status of your grant. I already know when I submitted it!

Forum Member

Question Next Round of DJ's

Does anyone have an update on DJ's? Has anymore gone out yet or when they may go out? Also any new totals of money available against number of departments left?

Forum Member

NO ONE KNOWS?

Question

How can the last DJ go out before the last dollar is awarded and accepted? What happens if the last department to get an award for some reason can not accept it? Wouldn't you keep the first alternate open just in case this happens?

Shouldn't we expect at least some DJ's until the bitter end?

Exclamation

Hopefully I can end some confusion. I e-mailed the USFA on 12/12/03 and asked the question in reference to Dear John Rounds, they responded to me in an e-mail stating 2 Dear John Rounds have been issued... the 3rd is yet to come...

Still Waiting...

Good luck to all, Happy Holidays

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They don't count the round at the end of September for those that didn't make it to peer review as a round of Dear John's since they technically never made it into the game to be considered. Just semantics on their part saying that you can't be rejected if you weren't able to be accepted. Details.

Thread Information