Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default To refurb or not to refurb?

I would like to hear from others that have had a lead pumper/engine refurbished. Is it worth it?

My department is in the process of deciding whether or not to refurbish two of our lead pumpers.

They are both 1991 Pierce Lance pumpers. We have received a bid, but we have heard some bad stories about refurbs not lasting more than 5-8 years. Both would remain our lead units, so it's important that they last much longer.

Thanks for any input.

Biggest problem we see with refurbs is parts availability. Once a vehicle gets over 10-15 years old it becomes increasingly difficult to obtain replacement parts.A lot centers on what the vehicle platform is and exactly what you hope to accomplish with the refurb.The number of runs and the terrain you operate in should also be qualifying factors.T.C.

It depends on several factors-this question has several variables.

1. probably the biggest question is how good is your chassis? can you have the frame inspected and checked for cracks/fatigue?
    2. How much has to be done? Is it a pump replacement/ body replacement or is it engine/tranny/wiring/pump/body?
    3. A good overhaul of engine/tranny should get you at least 80% of your original service life. Your 1991 pierces are almost 13 years old so 8 years from a refurb does sound reasonable.

It's always a cost/benefit ratio.

Why not?

If you decide to trade in 1991 some else will pickem up referb them, Sell the an Run them for the next 15 years.

If they are Old Tired and worn out. Loose em. but were talking 91's here, still lots of life in them.

I agree with what the others have said also. They really need to be gone over, and even with the rebuild there will still be 13 year old parts on them that are eventualy going to need to be replaced. So your Maint and upkeep costs will still be somewhat in place, but lower than they would be.

Again It really depends on the current condition of the units. I know some citys with a 5 and 7 year cycle on the pumpers and they're bagged when they are done.

Thread Information