MembersZone Subscriber

Default TIC Amendment help

When i did the grant i asked for 10 grand, it turns out that the whole kit and kaboodle is slightly higher but under 12 grand, i asked for a amendment and FEMA said no, that's it NO with no explanation. Anybody else get denied a request like this?
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, but not surprising. I'm assuming you asked for an amendment to get more money. Won't ever happen. You don't need an amendment to purchase the camera you want. You just have to pony up the difference yourself.

Now a hint from Cousin Brian: if your grant was not just for the TIC, but other equipment, try and get a lower price on the other equipment to free up more money to make up the difference. In other words, if you applied for 1000' of 5" LDH, and you find a lower price, as long as you still buy 1000' of 5" LDH, they should let you spend the leftover money to put towards the camera since you could technically spend it on more hose, nozzles, fire prevention, whatever. They're just not going to give you more that what was awarded.

Stay safe, and congrats.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sneaky

Very sneaky UNCLE BRIAN, but my camera guy already took care of that, i didn't know he also sold 5" hose......... Thanks Anyway..
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Wasn't trying to be sneaky. Plenty of people have done that over the past 3 years. Overestimate the cost of equipment and then realize there's money left over. You can either buy more of what you asked for, or get approval for something else.

Uncle nothing, I ain't even hit the 30 y/o mark yet.

Forum Member

Default TIC $$$

Brian would it be a good idea to ammend our application down to the $12000 mark for a TIC? It was quoted to us for $17900 with remote view. Now we can get it cheaper, possibly w/o the remote view. It would bring our request down almost $6000, and with things coming down to the end, it might be the break point.

In otherwords should we ammend it down before being asked?

Thanks

Stay Safe!!

Mike

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you haven't been asked the magic questions or gotten the 1199 link, then making the suggestion won't help sway the decision to award or not award. There is no amending before the award, so they will just tell you to wait and see anyway. If you've already gotten that stuff, then they will tell you shortly that the limit is $12K, at which time you can ask for the amendment to buy the lesser expensive version. Which will leave you money for adding other stuff to the pot.

Forum Member

When FEMA ask you to accept a reduced amount ( 12k ) they also reduce the total award. No extra money
    Stay Safe

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, not if you still buy the same unit, no. But if the one you applied for was $16K, they said you're only getting $12K, you can ask for approval to go buy Brand X for $6K because you don't have the other $4K, and then get approval to buy something else within the category that was part of the original application. Assuming that you didn't just apply for the TIC, which is possible. In that case, other FFing equipment is open.

Thread Information