View Poll Results: Would you consider trunk tunneling?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

14 93.33%
  • No!

0 0%
  • An absurd idea

0 0%
  • Too involved & time consuming!

1 6.67%
    Forum Member

Lightbulb Trunk tunneling???

Allow me to ask...

Has anyone tunneled through the trunk to reach a trapped patient? If so, were they removed through this opening?

Forum Member

Never had to do it, played around with it during a drill though. It's nice to keep all your options in your mind as you never know what you might have to do sometime.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I'm with Bones - I've never done it, but you could run into a situation where it's your best shot - or at least a good "plan b". Never say Never to any option that can be done safely.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

A neighboring dept to me had two tractor trailers sandwich a mid-size sedan(seemed one of the rigs changed lanes without seeing the car- OUCH!)

Anyway, I know as soon as Rescue101 reads this he will say one of the rigs should have been moved out of the way with a H/D Tow but they chose to go it alone and used the tunnel through the trunk successfully. They actually took the whole car apart... sort of like the new suv(the Envoy I think) with the sliding rear roof.

In either case it worked and the victim is alive to tell about it. We have never done it with the exception of training and hope to keep it that way, but it's always good to plan for the worst!

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

Thumbs up any more info?

Sounds like a good approach to the situation on their behalf. Any pictures, video available? Any specifics on the vehicle, problems, etc?

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

We teach tunneling techniques to our recruits in one of their extrication class's,using hack-saws, reciprocating saws, hydraulic cutters,etc... we have had roll-overs where the vehicles top has been crushed and they end up in ditches where the only option is to tunnel through the rear of the vehicle into the passenger compartment.It happens so be prepared!

HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR
    RESCUE 1

Thread Information