Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IFSAC vs NFPA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default IFSAC vs NFPA

i am currently in sc and wanting to volunteer for a fire department. they require all IFSAC training and i don't have any. however i do have a decent amount of NFPA courses. does anyone know why the two dont go hand in hand and what the big deal is between the two. also is there anywhere i can get my NFPA classes switched to a IFSAC accredited certificate?? thanks in advance if you can help

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not quite sure on answer to that one. You can email someone who might know at IFSAC

Since you are in SC, contact the SC Fire Academy about reciprocity regarding your certifications....some you can test out on.
    www.scfa.sc.us should be the web site
    what part of SC are you trying to volunteer in?
    "where is my second due?"
    I.A.C.O.J. 2003

NFPA sets the standards.

IFSAC and/or NBFSPQ (www.theproboard) accredit that the training you took meets the NFPA standards.

In my case, I've never paid the $20 or so to get the paperwork, but I could to get the IFSAC and/or NBFSPQ recognition my certifications.

IFSAC & NBFSPQ exist so the states using them can recognize each other's training certifications without a big hassle, rather than 50 state certification administrators tracking what the other 50 state certification administrators are doing and whether they feel those other states do as good of a job as they do teaching to the NFPA standards.

Being the fire service, where Chiefs are constantly engaged in both dick measuring contests and ****ing in each other's cornflakes, usually at the same time, we couldn't come up with one body to do it. So some states do IFSAC, some NBFSPQ, some (like mine) both, and some do none. Federalism at it's finest. Makes you wonder if we could ever come up with something like a "Lime Green Card" equivelant to wildland firefighting's "Red Card" to credential structural guy's major current certifications.

Like was mentioned above, check with the SC Fire Academy.

You can also check with the Chief of the Dept you are trying to volunteer with, as he can accept any training he feels meets their standards.

MembersZone Subscriber

well i have checked with the sc fire academy and i was told that since my out of state certs are not pro board that i can not recieve reciprocity i have also talked with a lot of officers for the department and the department will only take IFSAC. dont really know what to do here i think i may end up just having to take classes over again which really doesnt bother me i just think its stupid when i am already trained and could be out there helping fight fires but i have to go sit through more classes. also i almost forgot i am in horry county in sc.
    Last edited by resqrngr; 12-10-2003 at 03:35 PM.

S.C. is an OSHA state..which means that all you have to have to become an "interior qualified firefighter" is the 1152 OSHA firefighter class..or as I like to call it "the SC everything you need to know to get you and your partner killed class"
    Thank God the SCFA has adopted IFTSA certifications and many fire departments in the state have adopted IFSTA FF 1 as minimum qualification for firefighters.
    It is unfortunate that your training will not meet SC or your department standards
    "where is my second due?"
    I.A.C.O.J. 2003

Default NFPA,IFSAC, Pro Board

Basically put the NFPA writes the songs that the whole world sings. IFSAC and PRO BOARD are private entities that make money certifying our training. The NFPA 1001 that you take in SC most likely came out of the same IFSTA ESSENTIALS book I took mine out of. However NY paid to have there basic Courses reviewed and they pay a yearly fee to maintain them. They are the same courses; they come out of the same manuals. Itís just that some states donít pay to have there courses certified. Its all comes down to money. Try this link it may help you out. www.fireemsrescue.com/fireedu.html
    ďJust when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better IdiotĒ

Thread Information