Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Illinois loses a great statesman!

Former Illinois U.S. senator and Lt. governor Paul Simon passed away after undergoing heart surgery.
    Paul Simon was one of those rare politicians who could bridge the aisle to the other party. Though a staunch Democrat, he supported legislation that was for the good of the people and not a particular political party.
    He was a man of impeccable integrity and unquestionable devotion to his home state of Illinois.
    He will be sadly missed.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Right on Chief R.

He was savvy enough to know when it was time to get out. He appeared on Saturday Night Live with the "other" Paul Simon. He was a good sport and a nice man. We need more politicians from BOTH sides of the aisle to emulate him..Not necessarily his policies, but his principals and his integrity and compassion for his fellow man.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I heard a story about Paul Simon last night while riding a school bus back home from the Catholic Daughter's Christmas Party. (my wife made me do it). One of the ladies said they had a party one night at their house which was right along Rt. 51. It apparently was a big party with a bonfire outside. A car drove up and Mr. Simon and 2 of his aides got out and introduced himself. He told them that this looked like a place where all the problems of So. IL were being solved and he wanted to know what they thought. He talked to everybody, even went inside and talked to the people that were playing cards in the basement. That's how I'll remember him. A guy that cared about the well being of his constituents. Southern Illinois, all of Illinois and the US will miss him.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Yes..We have lost a great statesman. He was one of the most honest and caring politicians I have ever met.

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Though a staunch Democrat, he supported legislation that was for the good of the people and not a particular political party.
    Thats what made him such a great Senator. Qualities you don't find in many politicions today!
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Paul Simon will be laid to rest today.
    Thoughts and prayers....
    Thoughts and prayers.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information