MembersZone Subscriber

Default Earthquake hit - Virginia ??

Reported by CNN.com
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/....ap/index.html

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Residents from North Carolina to Maryland were shaken Tuesday by a moderate earthquake that caused minor damage along the East Coast.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 4.5, was centered about 28 miles west of Richmond. There were numerous reports from people who felt the quake in three states and the District of Columbia.

Virginia's Department of Emergency Management received some reports of minor damage, mainly from areas west of the epicenter, said Robert Spieldenner, director of public affairs. He said the damage mostly amounted to items falling off walls.

It could take a few days before any structural damage appears, he said.

Geological Survey spokeswoman Carolyn Bell said there were no immediate reports of damage in other areas.

Irene Newton, who lives in Columbia, just outside Richmond, felt the quake at her home.

"I was sitting at the organ playing 'Oh Holy Night' and all of a sudden I thought, 'Oh no, the furnace is blowing up,"' she said of the rumbling. "And then it kept going and I thought the chimney was falling off the house. ... It was scary, I'm telling you."

Newton said she felt at least one aftershock, but the whole episode did nothing more than move some items around on her shelves.

The quake occurred at 3:59 p.m. EST and was shallow, at about 3 miles below the Earth's surface.

Danny Stenga of Hagerstown, Maryland, about 170 miles northwest of Richmond, said he felt the quake shortly after 4 p.m. in his two-story brick house.

"At first, I though a car or truck was playing its stereo really loud."

While quakes are more common in the West they do occur in Eastern states from time to time.

The largest quake in Virginia history took place in Giles County in 1897. It was felt from Georgia to Pennsylvania, some older brick houses were cracked and bricks were thrown from chimneys in the area from Pulaski to Roanoke.

On February 21, 1774, a strong earthquake was felt over much of Virginia and southward into North Carolina. Many houses were moved partly off their foundations at Petersburg and Blandford.

More recently, parts of southwestern Virginia were shaken in 1959.

We were actually toned out to man all stations and check for dammage although the felt effects here were a very minor.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

There was a 2.4 or something like that here last year. Everyone was just like "What the (@&* was that??" Some people thought it was an explosion.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information