Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Phenix Helmet Questions

I should have started with this topic from the start, please diregaurd the Dual Purpose Helmet thread.

I am researching the Phenix helmets trying to find out which model is best suited to dual purpose use for both wildfire and structure fire.

This seems to be a common practice in California, and I am interested in the experiences and recomendations from Caifornia firefighters.

Is there much differnece between the different 1500 series helmets (G, F, CA)?

Which helmet does the California departments use? Is it always the CA?

We dont need the earflaps as we would be useing the hotshield ultrshrouds we already have.

Just how hot are these helmets?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

i have only used phenix helmets. all i can say about them is that i absolutely love them. in my area of southern california, we get a good mix of calls that require structure helmets (tc, structure, refuse, etc...) and wildland helmets... i have the heavier structure one, that i believe you are thinking of and a lighter one that i use for wildland. pretty much the same thing except the wildland is lighter and the shroud has velcro that can attach together so there really is no bare skin exposed where as the structure one has a simple ear/neck protector that doesn't close and doesn't wrap all the way around the face.

i love my phenix helmets and feel very confident and safe in them. i would recommend them.

the only diffence that i can really tell between F, G, and CA is that the 1550f has a face piece, the 1550g has goggles, and the 1550ca doesn't have either.

i've only seen phenix helmets used with the exception of a department.

i've never used any other helmet, so i wouldn't be too reliable to compare it to others, but in my experience, they are very comfortable and aren't hot.

again, i love them and would recommend them.

Califfbou....................w here are you ..........this has got you written all over it !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thanks for the input. I have not heard to many negatives on Phenix helmets, at least not from the more Western guys that have more wildfire use out of them.

I am sure that a heavier Leather/traditional helmet would provided a higher level of protection in a structure fire. But, if a lighter helmet, like a Phenix, can fuction in both of the fire worlds I have to contend with, wildfire and structure, then IMO it is a good trade off. Afterall, the Phenix still has to pass OSHA and NFPA guidlines and standards, so they must provided a reasonable level of structure protection.

In any case, they would provided a MUCH higher level of protection then your run of the mill wildfire hard hat.

My only concern is heat stress, but from what MEBRVCDF and others say that is not that big of an problem.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Now I am wondering about the Phenix wildland helmet.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=942

It says it is a 1500 series helmet as well, just like the CA, F, and G.

Here is the Phenix section from the fre store.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm?cID=944

Is the only difference between these helmets in the accesories? They are all stated to have the impact cap and the same protection.

If so, I tink I would want to go with the goggle equiped model, leave off the ear protection, and then we will add our own ustra shrouds.

Default I am your man...

Been using the Phenix Fire helmets since mid-80s. Great
    helmet for structure and wildland. (Never was intended
    for wildland but it just worked out that way.)

Anyways- Phenix helmets EXCEED NPFA outlines as well as
    Cal-OSHA.

To answer your question, the main difference are the
    accessories. (That I know of) You can call Phenix Tech.
    TOLL-FREE and they will tune you up.

You can also see their website at-
    www.phenixfirehelmets.com

-Bou

my phenix wildland has a wider, more round brim and weighs less that my phenix structure helmet.

Default Some Phenix Helmet action pictures...

Check out some Phenix Fire helmets in action.

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/mai...?page=itf.html
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-13-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Default Huh?

Originally posted by MEBRVCDF
    my phenix wildland has a wider, more round brim and weighs less that my phenix structure helmet.
    As far as I know...all of the plastic Phenix helmets
    are the same. No wider brim, etc.

So bro, what did you find or buy???

Default Check out...

The cover of the December issue of Firehoue.
    There is an LA County FF on the cover wearing
    the Phenix 1500...Bou

Thread Information