Thread: Nfpa- Scba

  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    50

    Question Nfpa- Scba

    I am curious. On the new NFPA compliant SCBA what options are included. I know that intergarted pass device is but is there anything else.
    Thanks
    This is My Opinion and not of anyone elses!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I beleive the heads up displays are also needed. Thats lights inside your mask to tell you how much air you have.....

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    scbaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    65

    Default

    NFPA 2002 requires an additional air warning, which is generally a Heads up display of some sort. They also reqire the integrated PASS, and the Universal RIT connector.
    Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by scbaguy
    NFPA 2002 requires an additional air warning, which is generally a Heads up display of some sort. They also reqire the integrated PASS, and the Universal RIT connector.
    The NFPA 2002 Edition added requirements for HUD (and low battery status for Heads Up Display) and the universal RIT connector but not an integrated PASS. The additions to the editions are listed in the "origin and development of NFPA 1981" section of the standard.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    245

    Default

    NFPA, to my knowledge, does not require SCBA to have an intergrated PASS device.

    However, NFPA 1982, 1998 edition requires PASS devices to be passively activated. The only third party manufacturer meeting this standard is the Super Pass II by Grace Industries.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by SFDchief
    NFPA, to my knowledge, does not require SCBA to have an intergrated PASS device.

    However, NFPA 1982, 1998 edition requires PASS devices to be passively activated. The only third party manufacturer meeting this standard is the Super Pass II by Grace Industries.
    NFPA 1981 does not require PASS devices.

    NFPA 1982, Grace is the only TRIRD party. However, most manufactures have their own pass systems and I don't believe certify their SCBA's with the Grace system, which would void certification if it was added.

  7. #7
    Protective Economist
    Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Originally posted by firedesign


    NFPA 1981 does not require PASS devices.

    NFPA 1982, Grace is the only TRIRD party. However, most manufactures have their own pass systems and I don't believe certify their SCBA's with the Grace system, which would void certification if it was added.
    I believe that if an SCBA is approved without a PASS, as many versions may be, adding a PASS would not void that approval. NIOSH approval changes only if you alter the fit, form or function of the unit. Adding a 3rd party PASS to an SCBA that is NIOSH approved without one probably would not meet the alteration criteria.

    Removing a manufacturer's PASS to add a 3rd party PASS probably would void the NIOSH approval and the NFPA certification.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by firemanjb


    I believe that if an SCBA is approved without a PASS, as many versions may be, adding a PASS would not void that approval. NIOSH approval changes only if you alter the fit, form or function of the unit. Adding a 3rd party PASS to an SCBA that is NIOSH approved without one probably would not meet the alteration criteria.

    Removing a manufacturer's PASS to add a 3rd party PASS probably would void the NIOSH approval and the NFPA certification.
    Adding a stand alone PASS would not void NIOSH approval. Adding a integrated activation device for a stand alone pass would not void NIOSH approval if the MANUFACTURE of the SCBA has it as an approved accessory.

    Sorry for deviating from the original topic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register