Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: speedlays

Forum Member

Default speedlays

Gentlemen. Try as I might I have not been able to find any pictures of a speedlay close-up. This is for a new pumper. How do the speedlays connect? They on a swivel or what? And how do you pack them? I have never seen one up close but am interested and are they any better than a regular crosslay?

Forum Member

Ive always thought speedlays and crooslays are the same thing . Someone set me straight

MembersZone Subscriber

Crosslays or maddydale have the discharge swivel on the bottom of the bed, and are above the panel or a compartment.
    A speedlay is usually mounted low, on some rigs it is under a top mounted pump panel. The discharge is often at the top of the bed. Some have trays that come out to make loading the hose more convenient.

We load 50' of hose flat then 150' goes in a pack, in two tiers 75' per tier on edge with a loop in the middle of the 150' at both ends. The bundle is secured with the velcro straps that are on the pack.

The entire unit can also be used as a standpipe pack. To deploy as a regular line we pull the bundle till the 50' of hose is off. then drop the pack, open the velcro, and grab the loop that faces away from the building. Walk away from the building 75'. You now have all the hose flaked out in the shape of a long "U". It plays out very well and never ends up a tangled mess. Even if charged by accident while still bundled all we do is open the velcro and the line flakes out.

Forum Member

Ok here are some pics of our current loads .
    We have 50 ft down and 100 up preconnected with an extra 150 ft unconnected for extension in the bed as well .
    The discharge is on a swivel that goes from side to side .

From the pics it looks like there is more yellow curbside line than there is green streetside line but they are both the same length .
    Last edited by k1500chevy97; 12-13-2003 at 06:50 PM.

and that my friend is a damn fine looking speedlay ! K .........you got some great lookin loads there ............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Heres a couple more pics . These two are showing the plumbing on both the speedlays

WOW!!!!
    I've never seen hose that pretty. It looks like it's never even been used.
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    Some have trays that come out to make loading the hose more convenient.

If you can figure out how to repack those easily, let us know. All 3 of the new engines have them and they are a PAIN to repack and reload. They are great to remove and use but are none to fun come time to take up.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Originally posted by codeblue81
    WOW!!!!
    I've never seen hose that pretty. It looks like it's never even been used.

Naaa its been used before . Actually seen a lot of regular use since this rig was put into service a couple months ago
    See .

Forum Member

Thank you for the replies so far. I checked out Fort Garry trucks and they seem to favour speedlays under the crew cab seats. Does a setup like this have the connection near one side or the other so you can reach it. Or if you have a side mount pump panel as well. I can see in the above pictures that the connection is in the center yet can be reached. Also, any advantages to this system or sheer personal preference?

It's Mattydale And technically "mattydale" is a particular way to pack a crosslay...although we like many just call any crosslay a matty. Named after the Mattydale Fire Company on Long Island where the method originated.

The prominent feature of a Mattydale (which is how we usually pack) is the first layer of hose is looped down to the running boards. You then pack the rest of the line back-and-forth, tuck the nozzle in the middle, and flip the loops over the top. When you pull it, you grab the loops, pull them out, and as you go back the rest of the hose slides out. The advantage is the hose comes off either side of the truck equally well. Also has the advantage of being "omni directional" -- once the hose is on the ground you can go to the side or front or back with equal ease. You grab the nozzle in the middle and start stretching it out. Disadvantage is you can get one hell of a mess if you don't stretch/flake it out before charging the line.

The other department in town has speedlays on their first out, and while I've only pulled them twice "in combat" they seemed to go pretty slick, too.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CdnFyreGuy
    Does a setup like this have the connection near one side or the other so you can reach it. Or if you have a side mount pump panel as well. I can see in the above pictures that the connection is in the center yet can be reached. Also, any advantages to this system or sheer personal preference?
    I really like our new setup mainly because of the lower height and because the crosslay (ugghhh i mean speedlay ) is easy to load with the top mount

Im not sure about others but we have another hme truck built by central ctates that has a top mount pump with crosslays on top of it . on this one the way our dept packs them you have to step up on the board of the truck to grab it . And the discharge for one of the crosslays is in the middle of the bed making for not to easy connection of the first line but the other is close to the side its not all that difficult .
    Heres a couple pics (damn i love pics ) lol

Last edited by k1500chevy97; 12-15-2003 at 12:47 PM.

I gotta admit he takes some darn good pics of a department that looks high and tight !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Angry Height of the speedlay???

Good Morning All,

We too use speedlays on our 2000 E-One. Since putting this truck into service we have gone to a triple lay in the speedlay beds. I have to agree it gets the load out to the tray in a hurry but I find our problem with them is the overall height of the speed lay. We pack 250 ft. of 1 3/4" and place the nozzle at the top of the load. Any idea on how we might do this differently.

The driving force for the triple lay was to get the entire load out of the tray with limited man power. No I find myself worrying (as an Engineer at times) to getting the Engine into pump and getting back to the speedlays so I can hand them down to my interior crew.

Only other down fall is Triple Lays are a pain in the A** putting back together. You need an entire Engine Company to repack the load.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    GB

All of our crosslays are 200' 1 3/4" line. They are all above the pump panel and go either way off the truck. We do simple back and forth folding with the nozzle ending up on top. 2nd and 3rd row from bottom have loops on each side about 2' long. When pulling, you grab the loops and pull till the hose reaches near the side step board, you then grab the rest of the hose pack in the middle, as you pull the rest of the pack out of the trough, you turn and walk away from the truck. You now have most of the hose pack inverted on your shoulder. As you walk away, the bottom fold gets pulled out of the trough and the rest of the pack is pulled off your shoulder. The nozzle will be on the bottom of the pack now, right on your shoulder. This way, you don't have any "spaghetti" back at the truck and your extra hose is with you. Once you get to the entrance of the building, you can spread what's left on your shoulders so it's right by the entrance and not back at the truck. As for repacking it, nothing is simpler and faster than the simple back and forth folds.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

we do it exactly as bones does it.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you can figure out how to repack those easily, let us know. All 3 of the new engines have them and they are a PAIN to repack and reload. They are great to remove and use but are none to fun come time to take up.
    I've found ours are pretty simple to use. We have 2 with 200' of 1.75". Triple pack won't work so we had to go to flat with loops. We've deployed and repacked probably about 100 times in the past few months, and we've never used more than two people and had the hose repacked in about 2 minutes or less. They're a whole lot easier than the triple packs on the other engines' crosslays on top of the pump panel.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are speaking of the actual type of hose load, the Triple Load (AKA: California Skid, Skid, California Triple Layer, Speed Lay, etc.) I urge you to look at your territory before using it in real life on the rigs. The official Houston Fire Department crosslay load is this one. It works great if you have the space from the rig and the building to walk straight away from the rig and have the entire bed emptied (1/3 of the length of the line). This allows the other 2/3 to play out next to the first 1/3 and be nicely flaked for advancing. If you cannot drop the whole bed (1/3 of the total line length) on the ground before you get to the building its gonna be a problem. In our territory at work we have numerous (actually hundreds) of 2 and 3 story garden apartment buildings in our Box Alarm territory. On more than one occasion we have wound up with the rig within 20' of the staircase for a 2nd or 3rd floor fire. In this limited space the Speed Lay turned out to be a pain in the butt because we didn't have enough space to get the entire bed on the ground before we made a turn on the staircase landing. Now make 2 more turns and you have this 200' preconnect strung out and in knots with the couplings hanging at every turn and on every step and you see our problems. We went back to the good old fashioned flat load with a loop at the end of the first section and the beginning of the last section. Even with the rig within 20' of the staircase, this load allows us to make the stretch easier and make the turns easier while still advancing the line to the upper floors rapidly. This is possible because the first line man pulls the load and advances the entire load to the base of the stair case. He drops it and continues up with the nozzle and a handfull of hose. The plug man then feeds the line up the stairs behind him. After the intial stretch, the Officer calls for water and the plug man work his way up pulling additional slack until making the fire floor. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

We pack our trays with a few feet of hose hanging over the side of the tray. Once we finish the flat lay the tail is hooked up to the discharge on the top of the compartment. So far it hasn't caused any problem when pulling the line.
    Dalmatian90, thanks for the spelling correction and history

Thread Information