Forum Member

Default Wich company build the most reliable truck?

I would like to have your opinion about trucks. Wich truck do you think is the most reliable? We have "PIERCE" trucks in my departement and we are quite pleased with them. But maybe there is a better brand. We are planning to buy a haz mat unit. Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Eric Savard
    Lieutenant for the Quebec City F.D.
    Canada

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh boy here we go again.

This should be interesting.

(ducks to break out bunker gear, kevlar vest and kevlar helmet.)

Eric it is nothing against you but every time someone ask that question it tends to get well, very interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by District821; 12-15-2003 at 10:15 AM.

Forum Member

Can we have your opinion about that?

Forum Member

Well Eric, if you follow this forum you will know that there are posters loyal to one brand or another. The E-ONE loyalists will bring up "proof" that a Pierce will not last. The Pierce guys will counter that and "show" that KME builds a less than perfect truck and the ALF contingent will say what they have to say to prove they are not going out of business. I hope that you get honest unbiased information, but I also pray for World Peace.
    As for me, I personally believe that the major builders do honestly try to build the best that they can. Everyone one of them has had a vehicle they wish that they would have done better, but that happens. I have had experience with several manufacturers and I believe that Pierce has the best engineering and quality and if I was buying that is the first place I would look. But note, that is my opinion and I'm sure others will follow. Good luck!

Forum Member

Default T

I've never weighed in on one of these 'who builds the best" debates so i will take a stab at it by saying this. It doesn't exist. I think at one time or another they all have their problems. They will all eventually break down. I am not an expert on apparatus but i firmly believe that it is how they are spec'd and the service they recieve.

MembersZone Subscriber

Eric the department I started out on and now write specs for in Oklahoma uses nothing but E-One trucks including all of their brush trucks and light rescues /squads. As with all apparatus manufacturers you end up getting some better than others even in the same order. Having said that we have never had any of those units have a major problem (engine, transmission, chassis, pump or tank.). On the minor problem end they have had the whole range of problems from switches that fail after a week or less to compartment door gas props that fail (either just lost pressure or broke the mounting tab loose).

Probably the worst failure any of those trucks has ever had was one of the engines had an air brake line to the left rear brake rubbing against a bolt because the line was not secured properly. The end result was the line failed on the way back to the station from a call causing the truck to lose all air pressure and set the spring brakes.

To me when you talk about the major players who makes the truck is secondary to the dealer / service center you will be working with. When the engine went down due to the brake line the dealer had a service tech out to the truck, made an emergency repair and had the truck back in service within 45 minutes. They also got the bracket that was missing from Ocala and installed it at our station while the unit was never out of service all in less than 24 hours.

Having said all that I am rewriting the specs to be more open and E-One will have to compete for the next round and may lose due to the fact that we are very picky about the very minor details and worry that it is an indication of underlying problems at the factory. The last two trucks the department received have had the striping be misaligned by as much as ½ inch where it crosses on to doors and paint that has far more flaws in it that ever before.

Forum Member

You ask "Who builds the best truck"? The answer is You or the people who write the spec for the truck. It all starts on your homework and the time to research , specify and verify what you want and how you want it done.If you slap together a truck in a month you will certainly miss some details. As for the manufactures, all of them make a good unit.

dazed and confused

Originally posted by colfireman
    You ask "Who builds the best truck"? The answer is You or the people who write the spec for the truck. It all starts on your homework and the time to research , specify and verify what you want and how you want it done.If you slap together a truck in a month you will certainly miss some details. As for the manufactures, all of them make a good unit.
    Amen!
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Everybody builds reliable trucks

Don't get into it's a Chevy-vs Ford vs Cadillac vs Yugo comparison, because it's not.

It's a Case-IH vs John Deere vs Ford-New Holland vs Agco-Allis. They are all reliable pieces of equipment. Your product satisfaction will have as much to do with the dealer as the Brand.

Forum Member

I agree. Spec exactly what you want and expect. Performance specs in areas where brand or system are not important to you. eg truck must be capable of full pump and roll with a pump water flow of 100 gpm at 150 psi at 3 mph with out use of a breaking system.

And when you choose your contract stick to your spec. accept nothing less.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Aww come on folks...let's do battle here for the young feller.

Who built the most reliable fire truck? MACK!!

God I wish they still built the CF. We have one that was built in 1974 and runs like brand new. It just passed it's annual pump test, quite a disappointment, the engine rpm's were 20 higher than when the truck was brand new 30 years ago.

Unashamedly a Mack fan....But since I can't get that any more make mine Seagrave.

Just having fun folks...

FyredUp

Forum Member

En Francaise por Eric

Il y a beaucoup de fabricants d'appareil de feu. Une partie de les sont renommés, tel que Superior, E-One, Pierce, Seagrave, KME, Smeal, Sutphen et Ferrara. Il y a les aussi petits fabricants d'appareil de feu que l'approvisionnement aux besoins d'appareil d'une région particulière.

Chaque camion de feu a construit (si c'est une coutume ou un châssis commercial) est une somme de ses parties, avec ces parties venant des fabricants différents, comme les moteurs de Cummins, Caterpillar ou Détroit Diesel, les transmissions de Allison ou Eaton, les axes de Dana, Rockwell ou Spicer, les pompes de Waterous, hare ou Darley, etc. Il tout dépend ce qu'est spécifié et pour ce qu'utilise.

Un camion est seul aussi bon que les spécifications qui ont été écrit!

There are many manufacturers of fire apparatus. Some of them are well known, such as Superior, E-One, Pierce, Seagrave, KME, Smeal, Sutphen and Ferrara. There are also any small fire apparatus manufacturers that cater to the apparatus needs of a particular region.

Each fire truck built (whether it be a custom or commercial chassis) is a sum of its parts, with those parts coming from different manufacturers, such as engines from Cummins, Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel, transmissions from Allison or Eaton, axles from Dana, Rockwell or Spicer, pumps from Waterous, Hale or Darley, etc. It all depends what is specified and for what purpose.

A truck is only as good as the specifications that were written!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Who built the most reliable fire truck? MACK!!

God I wish they still built the CF
    I'll second this vote.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

A 1916 to 1931 AHRENS-FOX... cause I own one!

Forum Member

3501,you do like to stir the pot,don't you?First one needs to identify what the vehicle is to do for the community.Then draw up the proper spec package to accomplish that ideal.And build it to be servicable for at least 20 years.That oughta keep you out of mischief for a few minutes,Hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue101 - I don't know if its stirring the pot or not.

We're looking at a rescue pumper with more emphasis on rescue, and emphasis on it performing in my territory. If the daytime average crew I get outside of ambulance help is 3 people for a crash, do I need to worry about a 6-10 man cab? Or do I get a smaller, more manueverable cab? Does is need a 1500 gpm or larger pump for what it's doing?

As stated before, everyone gives you the same choices
    Engines - Cummins, Cat, Detroit, Benz
    Tranny - Allison
    Generators - Onan, Harrison, Amps
    sirens, light bars - federal, whelen, etc
    pumps - Hale, Darley, Waterous
    Foam systems, FoamPro or equivalent

What you're left with is the cab/chassis/tank/body. Still a lot of area for something to go wrong, but as I've stated, Everyone makes good trucks. It's rare to hear of a bad truck. I've burnt up several 500 minute phone cards talking to departments with trucks similar to what we want. I hear maybe 5% complaints.

MembersZone Subscriber

If buffalo only still built rigs now they built one mean fire truck!!

Forum Member

Got one.'39 Diamond T Buffalo,500 gpm gear pump all original.I'm probably 1 of two people left on the Dept. that can properly run it.T.C.

Thread Information