Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Contracted fire department

I am a subcontractor for a company that potentally may have assets behind a fireline in the future. We are considering buying a couple of firetrucks and maning them with seasoned redcarded firefighters.
    If the assets of the company do get behind the firelines can my firefighters move back and forth behind the firelines? I know if they are there they can stay but can they leave and get back in? What are the rules about this and can someone refer me to the regulations? I just need to know how this would work with the incident commanders.

Also if someone could help me with what a good wage would be for employed and freelance wildland firefighters. What is the going day rate for fire trucks.I need to get facts and figures before I can put this together.

Thanks,
    Roger

We contract through the DNRC (Dept of Natural Resources and Conservation) We ran a Strike Team in our area that worked with local state and fed resources. You mentioned the pay issue which is going to become a problem in the summer of 2004. The current going rate for a 310-1 certified Engine Boss (ie. FF2, FF1, S-290, S-230 and S-231, and ICT 5 Task Books) is that the going rate for the private contractors is $350.00 per day. When a fire dept. contracts with the State, in our case Montana, the hourly rate for a 310-1 Engine Boss is $12.50 plus overtime. It is expected that due to the policy changes of the USFS this year we will see an increase to $400.00 + per day coming from the privates. The fire dept receives between $800 and $1,500 per day dependent upon the Type of Engine or Water Tender on the fire. We have already lost 1 310-1 EB and I would expect to loose 1 if not 2 more before the summer is out. We are currently looking at matching the average private wage to keep our certified in the dept.

The U.S. is broken into I believe 8 zones so you will have to check with your zone and simply contact some of the local privates to find out what the going rate is. Once we are assigned we work up to 14 hour days (except for Initial Attack which is generally extended into the next work day with a manadatory 8 hours off) and 14 day cycles with 1 day off. At the end of that 14 day assignment the Division Supervisor will make the call to either recommend keeping you on for another assignment or release you. This does not mean that you have to head back to your respective station you can report to Operations and ask to be re-assigned to another fire. Once you are in the system and on the road it is much easier to recieve assignments. "do get behind the firelines can my firefighters move back and forth behind the firelines"...Divisions are geographically designated and do not move around but Groups do move around the fireline. I am attempting to interpret your use of the word of "firelines" as different fires and re-assignment and also single assignment using Groups and Divisions as identifiers.

Good Luck in your endeavor and take the time to get your firefighters as much enhanced education and practical fire experience as possible. The use of task books developed through the DNRC is highly recommended to track individual firefighters. I will also give you an example of what our average Engine Boss qualifications are:

ICT 4 (Incident Commander Type)
    S-290, S-230, S-231 Certified (Engine Boss, Crew Boss)
    S-212 Sawyer B Certified
    FFT 1 and FFT 2
    approximately 3 to 4 years wildland fire experience

Take Care and God Bless

Thread Information