MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default O.m.g.!!!! What Were They Thinking?????

To use an escavator for this operation?????

Worker Accidentally Decapitated in Rescue

Dec 16, 2003 7:30 am US/Eastern

(1010 WINS) (NEW YORK) A construction worker was decapitated when co-workers tried to dig him out of a collapsed ditch with an excavating machine, officials said.

The 39-year-old man, whose name was not released, became trapped in the ditch Monday afternoon at the intersection of Taylor Street and DeGroot Place on Staten Island. Colleagues tried to free him and another trapped worker with a backhoe, accidentally severing the first man's head.

Workers had dug the 16-foot trench as a part of project to connect houses on Staten Island to a sewer line. Its walls collapsed after the two men went inside.

It had not yet been determined whether the man died because of the decapitation or when the trench's walls collapsed, said Paul Iannizzotto, a fire department spokesman.

The other worker, a 66-year-old man whose name was not released, was rescued after firefighters arrived at the scene and was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital with minor injuries, police said.

The Formica Construction Co. of Staten Island had been given a permit to dig the trench, according to Ilyse Fink, a spokeswoman for the city's building department. She said the company would be issued at least one violation, for failing to properly reinforce the trench's walls.

(© MMIII Infinity Broadcasting Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

OSHA Field Day Begins!

That's what happens when you have untrained people attempting rescues. They are operating solely on adrenaline and emotion and not on skill and knowledge. I just hope the guy was dead from the collapse.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

they must suffer from H.U.A.S. (Head Up ***** Syndrome). who was in charge there?? a three year old would probally know better.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

What Were They Thinking?????
    Quite Simply - they weren't. They did what 99.5% of people would do - they panicked and the only thought they had was dig - and to dig they used what they always used.

That is why we - the professional - trained responders are drilled over and over and over until it's in our head's to override the natural panic impulse. When we are faced with the SHTF situations, we revert back to our training. That is why propper training and regular practice are so important.

My heart goes out to the co-workers as they will have many demons to live with from that day on.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by N2DFire
    My heart goes out to the co-workers as they will have many demons to live with from that day on.
    Yes, they will and it will be a long time before those demons "go to bed". I wish them well and I hope their road to recovery is not too bumpy.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Ouch!! That'll leave a mark.......

Forum Member

The coworkers of the deceased were relying on instinct and adrenaline, as was previously posted. From my training in trench rescue ops, more than likely the deceased was already dead (suffocated fromn the weight of the dirt).

I hope that Formica Construction has contacted a pshrink to deal with the potential PTSD this accident will cause.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

no matter how you look it at it ..............what a mess..........I cringe at the thought !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AGREE WITH CAPTAIN_G

The ones i've experienced if they are buried above their chest they've suffocated before you can get to them.

Default Poor Soul

Poor bastard I feel for his family. What a god awful way to go.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Thread Information