MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional Fire Training Centers

My department is looking into contructing a regional fire training facility. I am trying to locate other departments that have designed and constructed their own training facility and may be able to give me some idea of what the cost would be to build such a facility. We are looking at having a training tower, smoke maze, forcible entry building, confined space rescue area, LP gas fire fighting area, a building for classrooms, etc.

Thanks,

Tom Standish
    Sioux City Fire Department

Protective Economist

Default Re: Regional Fire Training Centers

Originally posted by tstandish
    My department is looking into contructing a regional fire training facility. I am trying to locate other departments that have designed and constructed their own training facility and may be able to give me some idea of what the cost would be to build such a facility. We are looking at having a training tower, smoke maze, forcible entry building, confined space rescue area, LP gas fire fighting area, a building for classrooms, etc.
    Cherry Valley Fire Protection District, outside Rockford, IL, built a center. They became a regional training area for IL Fire Service Institute, which I think helped cover the cost. By being a regional training location, I think they also talked themselves into a FIRE Act grant for new SCBAs. I don't have the phone number, but you can call 815-555-1212 and ask for the non-emergency number. Craig Wilt is the chief. Or, try www.yellowpages.com.

I also serve on an NFPA committee with an engineer who designs these types of places. Email me if you want his name and email.

jonathan_bastian@bullard.com
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Early Adopter

Default Re: Re: Regional Fire Training Centers

Originally posted by firemanjb
    [B]I don't have the phone number, but you can call 815-555-1212 and ask for the non-emergency number.
    This summer, I visited some friends near Rockford that live in the Cherry Valley FPD. When we got to town, my friends commented at the amount of training that seems to go on there. I meant to stop by their station, but we never got the chance. However, I guess their being a regional training center explains the level of activity at their training center.

Cherry Valley is on the Web at cvfpd.com. The number to their station #1 is (815) 332-5382.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Where Do You Want To Go today?.......

Question is: MONEY? Answer is: Got plenty, call an architect. Got little, be creative. 1. Tower - build one by setting 4 large, long, utility poles in the ground for the 4 corners. Any Carpenter with framing experience can build a couple of decks on the poles, to simulate several stories in a building. You might be able to get your local Electric utility to build it for you. 2. Confined Space Props? talk to your firms that deal in parts/build grain elevators and bins. Lotta good stuff in those corrugated steel structures, and, also check with any contractor who builds stormwater management systems. They may donate large diameter concrete pipe, vaults, etc. 3. WITH PROPER MODIFICATIONS, steel shipping containers can be used for burn rooms. School systems or dealers in office trailers may be the source of a couple of classrooms. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination (my imagination is unlimited). THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Parting shot. Establish a good relationship with all the associations that represent Contractors and builders. More and more, they NEED (Read: mandated by OSHA) training in confined space, workplace safety, First Aid, and many, many, more. Get them to buy into your program, and you get help to build your training area. Down the road, reasonable fees for training will generate a revenue stream to help maintain the training operation. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Protective Economist

Default Re: Where Do You Want To Go today?.......

Originally posted by hwoods
    Question is: MONEY? Answer is: Got plenty, call an architect. Got little, be creative. 1. Tower - build one by setting 4 large, long, utility poles in the ground for the 4 corners. Any Carpenter with framing experience can build a couple of decks on the poles, to simulate several stories in a building. You might be able to get your local Electric utility to build it for you. 2. Confined Space Props? talk to your firms that deal in parts/build grain elevators and bins. Lotta good stuff in those corrugated steel structures, and, also check with any contractor who builds stormwater management systems. They may donate large diameter concrete pipe, vaults, etc. 3. WITH PROPER MODIFICATIONS, steel shipping containers can be used for burn rooms...
    While firefighters are always reknowned for their creativity, designing your own live fire facility creates tremendous liability and risk. Fire departments should try to follow NFPA 1402 (GUIDE on building fire training centers) and NFPA 1403 (STANDARD on live fire training). While they do not always carry the weight of law, they may be good shields if something tragic occurs.

Remember Lairdsville.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default YUP!..............

JB is correct, this is not like putting a picnic table together. Please note that I said "WITH PROPER MODIFICATIONS". This type of thing can be done, safely, and in compliance with appropriate standards. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Smile Youre in luck...

Lucky you- The Orange County Fire Authority is
    currently constructing a Reg. Fire Training
    Center. The progress is simplyu AWESOME! They
    have an automotive garage, fire prevention,
    dispatch, etc.

They have a pretty nice web site showing
    pictures, etc. I am sure you can call them and
    they always share information. Their # is-
    714 744-0400. Here is your link-

http://www.ocfa.org/docs/rfotc.htm
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-18-2003 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information