Thread: rescue tools

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Default rescue tools

I expect to get a lot of differing opinions on this question, but what kind of rescue tools do you guys use and are there any bad points on your spreaders, cutters, power units, etc. that we should know about. We're about to take the plunge and so far are looking at centaur, genesis and amkus.
    Anybody with an opinion?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack:
    You're looking at three very good manufacturers there.
    We narrowed our's down to Genesis and Amkus. We tried them both out on two days worth of cars and trucks.
    We purchased Genesis. Get ahold of Big Ed Orlin and ask for a demo. He'll bring the tools and then watch you and your guys do everything imaginable. That's what he did with us. If he was nervous about the abuse we caused to his tools, he sure didn't show it.
    What swung it was the fully portable, combo spreader/cutter with rechargeable battery pack. This little tool is dynamite in a small package. For those times you can't carry your stuff down a steep incline.
    Price was also factor. Genesis was less by hundreds.
    Our other set of tools that we have is a set of Vikings. Forerunner to Amkus/Lukas before the nasty break up.
    That's right; we have two complete sets of extrication equipment. After all, we live near an interstate. Can't have too much equipment.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What kind of tool

We got new tools about 10 months ago.We got about 15 cars from junk yard and had all the vendors come in with there tools, and we cut up the cars with all the differant models. We liked Holmatro the best ,and we have had no problems yet. We also use to have Amkus and they where good but didn't have as much power as the Holmatro.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a HURST MAVERICK Combo tool on our rig it is ok for most extrications but have found that if it requires substantial force your better off with a dedicated cutter or spreader here are the specs

Spreading force 13,000 lbs (57.8 kN)
    Pulling force 8,100lbs (36 kN)
    Cutting force 60,000 lbs (266.9 kN)
    Opening distance 16 inches (406 mm)
    Cutter Opening 9 inches (229 mm)
    Weight (with fluid & connectors) 38 lbs

Forum Member

Have you looked at TNT tools Jack.
    We do not have any hyd. tools and rely on two of our MA departments for rescue. We are trained to use both departments tools so they can respond with minimal manpower if needed.
    One department has an older set of Hurst tools. They work fine but are heavy and dislike the toxic oil used in the system.

Our other department purchased a new set of TNT tools about a year ago. They are a supper set of tools to run. They have been very happy with the tools and the service behind them. They run mineral oil in their system for safety, not sure what other manufactures run now.
    They do not care what you cut with their cutters, the blades are guaranteed for life.

They did a lot of hands on comparisons before they purchased and this was what they purchased. Maybe CACFPD will see this and help with more details.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Jack, as CR said,well we have 3 complete sets. the old (about 16years)viking,we like these alot never had any problems thats why we looked at amkus,good tools. a must have(for a backup) is the gensis combi, I know most combi's suck but for a battery powered tool this ones great for most jobs. now if its power you want(and i'll put money up to anyone who wants to challenge)the top of the line gensis has it.It is heavy but the only time you hear it is during training.Remenber there is no subtistute for power. Big Ed, our salesman said "try to tearum up" we did and couldn't. one other tip, make sure all your salesman know your trying different Mfg.

Forum Member

Good Morning fellas................thanks for letting me weigh in here! About 2 years ago we replaced our archaic cutter/spreader tool i.e.-the Kinnman Tool with a set of full on Genesis tools.What swung us this way was a couple of things, power, portability, price and also (this was a really good idea our Chief did) it is the same kind of tools our closest MA department uses, so when working along with them if some has a tool failure or is short-handed, or you need a second set of tools, everyone can use everything...........I just think that is good thinking, and may be something you want to consider as well Jack.

PS-kept the Kinnman as a back up tool on an engine, but if iis bad , we are just calling the MA, we also have an MVA auto aid with them as well for extrications.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Lots of good info on rescue tools. I think everyone agrees that the newer generation of tool have lots of improvement over the older origional tools. Sounds like compatibility and serviceability are two of the main points to consider. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the above mentioned tools.

BTW Jack
    Saw the picture of the new truck in the Towers newsletter. Very Sharp!
    Is this going to be a rescue pumper?
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

An ancient set of Spreaders and Cutters(bought in the 1970's) and one fairly new combo tool. We also have a really nice set of air chisels and Hurst Rams.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, we're down to Centaur and Genesis. We should be trying out the Genesis in the next week or so and then make the decision. Thanks for all the replys. I'll let you know what we decided on.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Chalk up another vote for the Genesis. We have had great success with them and no problems (other than people putting mixed gas in the power unit. OUCH!!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, we're down to Centaur and Genesis. We should be trying out the Genesis in the next week or so and then make the decision. Thanks for all the replys. I'll let you know what we decided on.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Talking

hey '77.........who gave you permission to be sneakin in here ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I got my VISA stamped by Toll Booth Willie!!

Actually, I didn't pay attention to which forum I was in. I just look at the "Todays Topics". It's much easier that way!

MembersZone Subscriber

ANOTHER intruder! hey, this is my thread and if you don't want to talk about rescue tools, shoo, go away, get out of here.
    By the way, Merry Christmas to you guys in Ohio, too.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack:
    I just caught GeorgeWendtCFI over in the Arizona thread. I guess people want to travel during the holiday seasons!
    Hey; I see you got Genesis from American Rescue Technology = ART coming in for a demo.
    I hope that they are bringing the T-Rex! This one is truly a beast. I don't think that there is anything that it can't do.
    Make the right choice, my friend. It's stuff you'll have for a very long time and it's equipment that you don't want to have to worry about.
    Take care.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information