Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default here, study this...

In my department, you get issued an IFSTA Vol. 4 Student package that includes the IFSTA Manual and the student review booklets for each chapter. Throughout the year Theory classes are held on different subjects.

While the IFSTA series is good at given most people the basics, etc, does anyone issue something more department specific to their equipment?

For example, the PPE and SCBA Chapters deal with a variety of equipment, but as we all know, each FD has different equipment on their trucks; some that isn't covered in the IFSTA chapters. While the IFSTA manual shows good details on a number of SCBA units, our MSAs were manufactured after the IFSTA Vol. 4 was printed, so they are not shown (do you see what I am getting at here?)

While the IFSTA books give a good overview of things, it doesn't tell you that you have to turn the ON switch ON, open the fuel valve on the back side of the tank, and set the engine to choke before pulling on the cord to start the generator on Engine One.(and most generators and engines, while the overall concept is the same, have different locations for everything).

What I am thinking about doing, is making up a manual that is specific to our FD and its equipment. Things like starting and operating procedures for generators, portables pumps, etc, to compliment the lessons in the student package.

I was thinking about either a book, or a CD. Both have their pros and cons. A book would be easy for most people to flip though, while a CD would mean that you would have to have a computer (yes, some people out there don't have one). However, a CD would mean that I could put short video clips and sounds. Also a CD would be less expesive to produce vs printing a few copies of the book. But, on a CD, it would have to be in a format that everyone could open. A book could also be placed next to an object (like a generator) for better referencing.....

Ideas? Pointers? Thoughts?
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Do 'em on paper. Keep a back-up on CD, but people like paper better, and you can always look at it quick during a drill when you're stepping people through stuff.

And the proper name for these is (drum roll) Standard Operating Procedure 'cause you pretty much always don an SCBA the same way and start up a PPV the same way. They're standard procedures to operate your equipment.

We've got SOG's, but they more operational than equipment specific.... For example, the Respiratory Protection Program outlines the two standard ways of donning an SCBA (over the head and coat method), but unless you know what your doing you are most likeing going to get lost in the full page of step by step instructions. That, and it is VERY DRY (I know, I wrote the entire program two years ago).

It is one thing to say, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step 4, etc.

I was thinking more a visual aid training book.

But to actually have it outlined as well as illustrated, would help a lot of new people... for example, when it says to turn the fuel valve on, it could have a picture of where the fuel valve is located (since each one of the generators is in a slightly different spot), etc.

No, this would not take the place of actually putting the gear on and taking it off, but it would supplement the hands on training if individuals could study the basic steps, know were the straps are placed, their basic movements and have an overall better idea of what to expect before actually starting the donning and doffing drill.
    Last edited by firefighter26; 12-16-2003 at 07:08 PM.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

We have IFSTA, OFM and Department training manuals. We do have a chapter on our specific SCBA, how the pass works, how to test all components etc. Our bunkers came with their own manuals. Almost anything that we get equipment wise comes with training notes.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

If you do the printed manual, you can always supplement the information with a CD or DVD of short video clips and/or pictures that demonstrate the procedure step by step. Just get one of those plastic CD sleeves punched for a three-ring binder to keep it all together.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information