Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: METZ Aerials.

Little Island off the coast of Massachusetts

Question METZ Aerials.

I am a member of a department which is looking at replacing our aerial. We now have a 75 foot LTI, which was a good truck when purchased 17 years ago but now doesn't stand up to our use. We have recently had a demonstartion by the METZ aerial company. Does anyone out there have a METZ or know of any good or bad stories associated with the METZ.

Thanks for your input.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down

NFDBOB

Forum Member

I am not to fond of them personaly because of the lack of compartment space cause by the design of the aerial on every one that I have seen .

Forum Member

A company near me, Spring Valley Hook & Ladder Co. # 1 recently took delivery of a Metz. Apparantly they have been doing good with the new truck. I will try to find out more.

http://hometown.aol.com/hillhook/

Default 1 cents...

Like the poster above, by just looking at their
    pictures, doesnt look like anything special and
    lacks compartment space.

I rather spent a little extra for something good
    now vs. big $$$ sown the line...Bou

Little Island off the coast of Massachusetts

Cool METZ AERIALS

I agree that compartment space can be an issue with these trucks, but we live in a community which has very narrow streets, tight turns and need for extended reach access. METZ seems to have the best of all these worlds so far, but you can never tell. No one elses specs so far have had as good a turning radius, or as short a wheel base!!

Looking for more input if anyone has any, but thanks so far..

MembersZone Subscriber

Im kinda curious about the 175 foot aerial they have, especially since its only on an apparatus 33 feet long. Just a rough estimate but that seems like an awful lot of flys which means it would be very tight up on the tip. But hey it is supposed to have an elevator to take you up.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

IMO buy something made in America. We did, and that's coming from a Canadian. We have a 75' E-ONE, ya I know the E-one bashers will probably have a hayday, but it was made in the United States America and thats good enough for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

k1500chevy97/CALFFBOU, NFD has a very unique response district that would make the advantages of a Metz easily outweigh the lack of compartment space.

NFD, I think with proper layout of equipment and some innovative thinking, a Metz would serve you quite well, as you are looking for additional reach over your 75'. Are you guys looking for a full quint rating?

Go to http://www.firestation24.com/ for the Kennett Fire Company, Kennett Square, PA

They not only have one but I think one of their chief officers sells them also.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Watched one operate at the NE Chief's show.In the time it would take to set the jacks on any of the big three,the Metz was jacked and extended a 100'.Like any of the European stuff it takes a little getting used to.No ground ladders is an issue but I'm not sure a clever body builder couldn't fix that.I'm going to look at them a bit closer this year as the time available for me to view the show will be doubled.T.C.

I've heard that they do not come with a water pipe, you have to lay a line. Also the tip load is not as great as some other buckets including AerialScopes.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

I've heard that they do not come with a water pipe, you have to lay a line. Also the tip load is not as great as some other buckets including AerialScopes.
    Per http://www.metz-apparatus.com :

Pre-Piped Waterways are available.
    The removable "Rescue Basket" capacity is 600 Lbs.
    Base Ladder Section can be used as a crane with an 8,800 Lbs lifting capability - a hydraulic winch/crane hook assembly can be added also.
    No mention of a "Tip Load" rating is given.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

600 Lbs...

http://www.metz-apparatus.com/features.html

About 3/4 of the way down, just above the rescue basket, I think.

-H

Default European engineering

If anyone has ever traveled through Europe, you will see these aerials all over working flawlessly in some really tight spaces. As for quality, who wouldn't expect excellent quality and engineering from a Mercedes, Porsche or Audi? It is almost expected. As of for "buy American"...the chassis is a Spartan or HME...besides do you know any vehicle that is 100% American anymore. Chevy man should know better, my Avalanche and Suburban are both from Mexico. Adios!

Our department had a Metz ladder untill two years ago and the one we had was really reliable.

But the thing I liked the most was that you got it up and running so fast...

The new ladder we have now ( not a Metz )
    works fine but doesn´t come close to our
    " old " Metz when it comes to the operating
    speed.
    Fredrik

Firefighter

Lulea firedep. Sweden

My understanding is that Metz mounts the ladders at their factory -- since the U.S. isn't big into Mercedes & Volvo chassis under their trucks -- the chassis from the U.S. is shipped to Austria, then shipped back with the ladder mounted. And that accounts for some of the extra cost and lead time.

A few years back they came in pushing $200,000 higher than the lowest bid (Smeal) and about $150,000 more than Pierce and AmLaf and Seagraves bids were for us. 10% price differences we can negotiate...40% and we're not in the same ballpark.

Nice, compact aerials. You're not going to find tip loads that high on 100' aerials on single rear axles coming out of U.S. manufacturers. Tip is 600#, not sure if that's dry or wet.

Somebody mentioned the 175' with Elevator -- AmLaf/LTI makes though in the U.S., too...for the overseas market!

I am a lieutenant in Spring Valley. Our Metz has been in service for about 6 months. We had some problems with the radio system interfering with the computers, but that was easily fixed. It is a compact design, which works well with our tight streets. We are a busy volunteer company, running about 1000 fire calls a year with about 12 to 20 structure fires per year.

We built ours on a Spartan cab and chassis. The cab and chassis were built here, shipped to Germany to have the ladder put on, then shipped back to General Safety in Minnesota to have the body finished. The company went to both Germany and Minnesota on inspection trips.

The ladder now comes with a pre-piped top fly, but we do have to run a line from the discharge to the end of the top fly, which takes a minute. A fully pre-piped waterway is available, I believe Avon, CT has one ( www.avonvfd.org ).
    Ours is a single axle, 35' long with a 1250 pump and 200 gal. water tank.
    It is very easy to operate, and sets up faster than anything around.

I saw the 175' at the factory in Germany, it was impressive!

If you want more info, contact me at fflynn17@firehousemail.com

edited to add: Our price was about $750,000
    and that we have the NFPA required 115' of ground ladders on board.
    Last edited by fflynn17; 01-02-2004 at 06:09 PM.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Thread Information