Question explorer firefighters

Hi
    I was wondering how much are explorer alowed to do firefighter and ems wise in your dept.?

Huh?
    Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

ok what are fire explorers not allowed to do when there is a fire call or a ems call.

Well, generally, we do a good amount of work except the actual fighting of the fire. Cordone off the scene, pull equipment from the truck, and very importantly, change SCBA's. We help with the clean up work, and help return full bottles to the truck. We do not respond to EMS calls, because we would be in the way. There is more then enough help at rescue calls, and those personal are more highly trained.

-Tim
    Last edited by Explorer129; 12-18-2003 at 09:02 AM.
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Forum Member

we (as explorers in highland twp. mich.) are allowed to go on any run we get as long as it is in curfew. on medical scenes we get out the clip board, med box, o2, and any other stuff we might need, the only thing we can't do is have dirrect pt care. on a fire we change scba's pull the hose off the truck, get ladder, pike poles, hand lights,we can protect other structures with a hose line, and on grass fiers we can be on a nozzle and put it out, and ther stuff like that. off the truck. on PIA's we set up lighting, get out the jaws (if needed), get cribbing, and any other stuff we might need. when we get back from the scene we help put the truck back in service. we add medicla supplys to the med box, refill the o2, clean the equipment we use, wash the truck, and other normal stuff. we can go on rescue situiations too. i've been on the only trench rescue the deparment has had in its history.
    Last edited by Moose2028; 12-18-2003 at 11:46 AM.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Smile

thanks guys for your replys. my explorer post gets to do allot more then your posts do but then we train all the time we are etts that stands for emergancy trauma tech and we are doing firefighter training in march the reason i asked you guy what your post can do is because the guy at the fire dept dont know what we can or can not do we dont have a cerfew which kind of stinks because we get to respond to all calls but then i live in a small towen in alaska. thanks for your replys
    amanda explorer post 307

Forum Member

Wow?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

why the question mark?

Well, i'm pretty sure thats against the BSA's regulations, that is if your are sanctioned by the BSA.
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Forum Member

Well as for firefighting we can do pretty much everything except for interior firefighing. And since my Fire Dept. doesn't do EMS I dont have an answer for that.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

We donít go on runs. The departmentís SOPs say we may be used when the spouseís auxiliary is activated for rehab. Sounds good in theory, but there is no auxiliary.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

We can run both Fire and EMS calls.

As for fire we can do anything that doesn't directly involve using an SCBA. We can ride the rigs, come down for calls backs, Over haul/Salvage, Rehab, use handlines for outside/exterior work(i.e. brush fires, Surround and Drowned),hit the hydrant,pull lines off the rig, set up ladders, Help the investigators, Fill SCBA's, Set up scene lighting,I can't think anything else.

As for EMS we are limited because most of the explorers aren't trained more than CPR or First Responder and aren't 18. Well we can bring the AED, o2, and jump bag in and then the immediate leave(unless 18 and an IL state EMT-B,and the same goes for an auto extrication.

My explorers can do most anything on the fire ground except for interior attack, EMS they can do anything we ask them todo including patient care under direction. MCI's (anything over 1 pt.) they can do direct pt. care under their first responder status (scope of practice).

I allow them to do just about anything thats safe
    Tell me I forget,Show me I remember, Involve me and I understand.

Trauma44004
    EMT-B/Fire Fighter/Explorer Program Director

Plymouth Twp. Fire Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org
    Plymouth Twp. Fire/EMS Explorers
    http://www.ptfdexplorers.org

Thread Information