1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mcaldwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Panorama, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,022

    Default Warning issued after child dies in idling car

    Warning issued after child dies in idling car
    Last Updated Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:52:34
    MONTREAL - Police and health workers are warning car owners to be vigilant after an 18-month-old Montreal girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning while she sat in her father's parked car as he shovelled out the vehicle.

    At a news conference Wednesday, Dr. Dominic Chalut said that three other local children were affected by carbon monoxide exposure in similar circumstances on Monday, the most he's ever seen in a single day.

    A three-year-old had to be placed in a hyperbaric chamber to recover, and seven-month-old twins were also examined for exposure.

    Chalut urged parents not to put children in a running vehicle while they shovel.

    "All parents, I think, should be aware of the potential dangers our children face when left in cars," he said.

    A snowbank blocking the car's tailpipe is being blamed for Monday's fatality.

    Eric Deslauriers, 29, had placed his daughter Annabelle in the back seat of his car, and then turned the vehicle on to warm it up as he shovelled around it.

    About 10 or 15 minutes later, he opened the car door to get back inside and discovered his daughter unconscious in the back seat. A passerby tried to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but it was too late to save the child.

    Police spokesperson Olivier Lapointe said the blocked tailpipe caused carbon monoxide to leak into the 14-year-old vehicle. Its exhaust system appeared to have had a number of holes, making the leak worse, he said.

    Dr. Ron Olivenstein, a specialist at the Montreal Chest Institute, says carbon monoxide poisoning cuts off the blood's oxygen supply, and can happen very quickly in a confined space such as a car.

    He says it is a particular threat for young children, who may not be able to tell anyone there is a problem. Since their bodies are so small, carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal within minutes.

    The death was the city's second fatality this year involving a baby left in a car.

    In July, a Montreal-area father was charged with second-degree murder in the death of his 23-month-old daughter, who suffered heat stroke after spending the day in her father's car while he went to work. He had forgotten to drop her off at her day-care centre.


    Written by CBC News Online staff




    I would have thought that the public had a better awareness of this type of hazard by now, but apparently not. The last pragraph is actually the most disturbing. How in the hell do you "forget" your child in the car?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

    IACOJ

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    RspctFrmCalgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
    Posts
    6,329

    Default

    I heard about this poor baby girl on the radio today.

    And I said the same thing you did when I read that last paragraph ... forgotten???
    September 11th - Never Forget

    I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

    Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

    RAY WAS HERE FIRST

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I had recently seen a show on TV where they were interviewing a man and his wife for the same kind of scenario. Normally, his wife would take the son to daycare each morning on the way to work however this one morning, she was running late and asked her husband to take their son to day care instead. He went on to work and forgot about his son until one of his co-workers came in and starting yelling at him. That is when he remembered his son was still in his car seat. The car was rated at approxmately 120 degree farenheit and the baby had been there for over 3 hours. I noticed the previous story was a little girl in Montreal but this family was from the United States.

    So not only has one family made such a tragic and careless mistake, another one did the same! Not only can we ask how this happens 'once' but how does this happen 'twice'!

  4. #4
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I had recently seen a show on TV where they were interviewing a man and his wife for the same kind of scenario. Normally, his wife would take the son to daycare each morning on the way to work however this one morning, she was running late and asked her husband to take their son to day care instead. He went on to work and forgot about his son until one of his co-workers came in and starting yelling at him. That is when he remembered his son was still in his car seat. The car was rated at approxmately 120 degree farenheit and the baby had been there for over 3 hours. I noticed the previous story was a little girl in Montreal but this family was from the United States.

    So not only has one family made such a tragic and careless mistake, another one did the same! Not only can we ask how this happens 'once' but how does this happen 'twice'!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register