Forum Member

Default Fire I Certificate

Connecticut is an OSHA State... the Fire I certifies you to the NFPA 1001 Standard. If Connecticut does not adopt NFPA as "law" than is it required to have a Fire I certificate to enter a burning building?

From the research I did the ONLY written law that I have found comes from OSHA... requirements regarding specific training and records of training (ladders, S&R, ventilation, SCBA, ICS, emergency driving, pumping, hose). But nothing in Connecticut's Statutes or CONN-OSHA regulations specifically says "Thou Shall Have a Fire I Certificate."

However - since NFPA is a nationally recognized standard than it could potentially be used in a court of law as an industry standard.....

I'm certainly not questioning the importance of a Fire I class or the validity of a certificate, but some other comments would be appreciated.

Turk II

IACOJ Agitator

Fire I isn't required by law.

But there are only a handful of departments in the State that do no require their members to get Fire I.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What is required

I see in Connecticut that Firefighter 1 is not required but I would like to know what is required by the state of Connecticut to began structural firefighting. Thanks

IACOJ Agitator

What is required? Anything that is required by OSHA such as SCBA training, fit testing, yadda yadda. Look over www.osha.gov for different regulations. Respiratory Protection is 1910.134. The Fire Brigade regulation is 1910.156 and there are a bunch of other areas that come into play.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What's Required

To assure that we are 'above' and 'covered' by all the standards and laws, and whatever someone else comes up with in the future, we have established the following:

Firefighter I - Assist on the firegrond, Exterior operations, interior operations only if have had 24hrs of annual structural ff training, and under the direction of FF2 or greater.

Basicly, FF1's assist, they cannot lead an interior operation.

Having the Firefighter I certificate is the quickest, easiest way to show you've me the OSHA requirements.

Shafer, while CT does not directly require FFI, it is the accepted practice of the majority of fire departments to require it. If you have become certified as a FFI, you have met the minimum regulatory requirements for an interior firefighter.

There is no one simple place the major regulations on the fire service are found.

Things include:
    -- Worker's Comp baseline physical, by State Statute.
    -- Current physical & Spirometry, by OSHA Respirator regulations.
    -- Be over 18 to use respirators, work from heights, or use power cutting equipment. 16 & 17 y/o may do exterior work. By Child Labor Laws
    -- Blood Borne & Air Borne Pathogens training, by OSHA regulations
    -- Haz-Mat Awareness, by OSHA & EPA regulations.
    -- Annual refresher training for respirators, pathogens, and haz-mat.

Thread Information