Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Sirens / Audible Warning Devices

Hi Guys,

My brigade (dept) is currently looking at different types of audible warning devices for our appliances. In the last five years or so this country is tending to slide towards electronic sirens (wailers)and bull horns. What do you guys think? Any recommendations? We use at the minute air-operated two tone horns which as a driver I like, but I do also like the impressive bull horn which came from you guys!

Ideas / Suggestions If you would gents.

Andy
    Merseyside, United Kingdom

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if your "appliances" have a 12 volt electrical system or not.

If so, a popular combination (especially in PA/MD/DC) is a mechanical Federal Q and an electronic Powercall.

This combination seems to complement each other well. I'm sure it would definitely get attention over there where it's not common.

Click on Squad 1 on this page to hear what it sounds like: http://www.dcfd.com/runclips.htm

I haven't heard one yet but I am told the newer electronic Q sounds very similar to the mechanical one and doesn't require nearly as much juice.

There's only one...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Air Horns......................... .......

Nothing gets attention like Air Horns. I've long been a fan of the Grover 1501 Stuttertone, which, over the years, probably graced the cabs of more of America's fire apparatus than any other. My personal favorite is the Nathan 5 Chime Locomotive Horn. That sucker clears traffic like nothing else. On sirens, I've seen and heard most of them, and I like the OLD powercall, but NOT the "yelp" tone, rather the "wail" tone that sounds like a 1920s era hand crank siren.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I'm going to agree with ThNozzleman. There is nothing like the sound of a Federal Signal Q. We have the Q and electronic sirens on 3 of our apparatus and the Q is much louder than the electronics.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Forum Member

We use the Q as well. Along with the stuttertones. IMO it's the only way to go.

Default 2 cents...

My department uses both...Federal Q and electronics.
    In California, you are required to have some sort
    of "public address" (PA) system so an electronic
    fits the bill.

By far, the best electronic is the Touchmaster series
    made by Unitrol. You may have seen/heard them used on
    COPS in So. Cal. and in the state of Washington.
    Check them out here-
    http://www.unitrol.com/products/index_touchmaster.html

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-21-2003 at 06:33 PM.

I have found that most electronic warning devices are not loud enough to warn drivers appropriately. Modern cars are so insulated and sound proof that you couldn't hear a nuclear detonation outside your car.

If you do go electric, at least put dual 100 Watt sirens on the rig or a single 200 watt siren unit.

In either event, air horns are a necessity. They also go to increased when going into intersections.

And I actually agree with the Nozzleman (People in Hell just got some Ice Water ) that the Federal Q siren should be on every fire apparatus out there. Just make sure that your alternator can support the amperage used by them.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Some brand of electronic (we use Federal PA 300's) with the "Q" and Grover's (I think they now call them "emergency horns" not "stutter")is the ONLLY way to go. If you have a small apparatus that wont handle the full size "Q" the electronic "Q" works well.

On a side note, the best electronic I've heard is the SVP 441 Magnum. It's the only "true" dual electronic on the market. It's dual 100watt siren amps in one control head which sends a seperate 100 watt signal to each speaker (must have two for it to work) and you can run dual wail, yelp or phaser, yelp and wail, wail and phaser, or yelp and phaser. It also has hi-lo that we never use, air horn and PA. We have have one on our reserve engine along with a "Q" and twin Grover's. Set it on yelp and phaser, wind up the "Q" and stomp on the horns, talk about some noise!!!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave1983; 12-22-2003 at 03:36 PM.

While we're on the topic of Qs.... anybody have any good sound clips? I love the sound, but the clip i have is too short. I can't watch the videos on the page that WTFD10 posted a link too. Also, anybody have a sound clip of a jake brake? (3 best sounds in the world are a jake brake, Q, and Air Horn)

Default Re: Air Horns......................... .......

Originally posted by hwoods
    My personal favorite is the Nathan 5 Chime Locomotive Horn. That sucker clears traffic like nothing else.

Good Lord, What'd ya do? Hijack a Locomotive? What kinda air supply do ya need to supply that?!

Default Here is your link...

Want a cool sound bite and video with a
    grinder, airhorns and brakes? Here ya go-

Modem link-
    mms://audio.firedispatch.com/SCF012430004Modem.wmv

Cable/DSL link-
    mms://audio.firedispatch.com/SCF012430004DSL.wmv

Thread Information