Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Terror Alert Level goes UP

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Homeland Security raised the U.S. terror threat level from elevated to high Sunday, warning of possible terrorist strikes more devastating than the September 11, 2001, attacks

Fasten all seat belts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the 3-ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo...

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Anything else you want done?

Yeah, start cutting the non-federally funded OT Checks.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

I hope there aren't any trigger happy fighter jocks out there or Santa may have a tough time this year.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Looks like the E is working.........
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Don't people know that this whole threat level deal is a joke?

MembersZone Subscriber

I realize that there are skeptics. But this time the increase in alert status is different. I cannot go into detail, but from my information this is definitely serious.

I am not saying that something is going to happen. I am saying that the information this time appears to be more serious and more credible. Let's pray that nothing happens. But if it does...please be safe.

I think they've done a very good job at improving their recommendations on the actions individuals and organizations should take based upon the perceived threat level.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

As usual, I have to add something to break up the seriousness. Here is the Right-Wing News Guide to Threat Levels. This is by no means ment to discredit the seriousness of the warning or imply that we should just ignore it. This is also not real and I take no responsibility if one of you bozos goes out and actually does this stuff.

Can also be found here: http://www.rightwingnews.com/humor/homesec.php

First, here is what the alert levels mean in general:
    - Green (Low): All evil had been destroyed. The world is now a peaceful utopia.
    - Blue (Guarded): There's still the occasional pickpocket, so show a little caution.
    - Yellow (Elevated): Terror lurks in the shadows; be wary.
    - Orange (High): The terrorists are out there and they are coming for YOU!
    - Red (Severe): The world is exploding around you. The only law is your own gun.

To be more specific, here is how you should you act in different situations based on the alert levels.

How should I store my firearms?
    - Green: Throw them in the fire. There is no more need for weapons.
    - Blue: Wrap them in some rags and store them in the attic somewhere in case you need them one day.
    - Yellow: Keep both your guns and ammo readily accessible.
    - Orange: Load your gun and carry it on you at all times, even around the house.
    - Red: The gun should be in your hand, pointed in front of you with your finger resting on the trigger.

I see a stranger outside.
    - Green: Maybe he could give your kids a ride to school.
    - Blue: He might be lost; ask him what he's doing here.
    - Yellow: Stay in your house and avoid him. Strangers bad.
    - Orange: Run outside and pistol-whip him while questioning his involvement with terrorism.
    - Red: Kill him; no questions asked.

I hear a noise at night.
    - Green: That's just the house settling; go back to sleep.
    - Blue: Probably nothing, but you better check it out.
    - Yellow: Grab your gun and call 911.
    - Orange: No time for police; run through your house shooting anything that moves.
    - Red: Initiate the house's auto-destruct sequence; leap out window.

You see a hippy.
    - Green: Punch him.
    - Blue: Kick him.
    - Yellow: Punch him then kick him.
    - Orange: Punch him then kick him and then stomp on him.
    - Red: Strangle him.

You receive a strange envelope in the mail with no return address.
    - Green: Rip it open; who knows what fun lies inside!
    - Blue: Open it carefully just in case.
    - Yellow: Don't touch it and call the police.
    - Orange: Can wait for the authorities; toss it out the window and then unload a gun into it.
    - Red: For the love of God, immediately flee from the envelope. Hunt down and kill the mailman.

You see some movement in a nearby tree.
    - Green: It's probably a squirrel. Hello squirrel.
    - Blue: Better check out what it is to be on the safe side.
    - Yellow: Might be the escaped monkey from the zoo. Better contact the authorities.
    - Orange: It's a ninja! Fire indiscriminately into the treetops.
    - Red: Set fire to the tree and all trees around it. No safe haven for ninjas!

You see a strange van parked nearby.
    - Green: It must be an ice cream truck. Let's get ice cream.
    - Blue: Check to make sure it's legally parked.
    - Yellow: Better call the FBI to check this one out.
    - Orange: Politely knock on the van door. Kill everyone inside.
    - Red: Shoot the van with a rocket propelled grenade. Kill anyone who protests; they're terrorists too.

You realize the person you are talking to is a Communist.
    - Green: Kill him.
    - Blue: Kill him.
    - Yellow: Kill him.
    - Orange: Kill him.
    - Red: Kill him and burn his body.

You see a stray dog.
    - Green: Go pet the cute little puppy.
    - Blue: Better check if he has a dog tag so you can get him back to his owner.
    - Yellow: Call animal control.
    - Orange: It's some sort of terrorist trick. Shoot the dog with a sniper rifle.
    - Red: Destroy the dog with a thermite charge and then kill all witnesses.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Ya know, I am no panic monger and I feel relatively safe in this country. But, the timing of this higher threat status could not come at a worse time for me. My family and I are flying out Saturday to Walt Disney World for 8 days.

And as far as how serious we should or shouldn't take the warning I can only say this, I called the Reedy Creek Fire Protection District to see if my family could tour a fire station while we are there. I received a call back today saying that during the higher alert status the fire stations at Walt Disney World are locked down and no visitors are allowed. If the alert status changes during my stay then a tour could be arranged.

Some of you may think this whole threat warning system is a joke...I for one don't see a single thing funny about the thought of another terrorsit attack and our government doing the best job it can to keep us alert to possible threats.

FyredUp

ROFLMAO nmfire...............im printing it out.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Security raised in cities, airports, trains
    Ridge: Planes are still terrorists' weapons of choice

WASHINGTON (CNN) --Surface-to-air missiles were being deployed around Washington, state troopers were authorized to ride New York area commuter trains, and air travelers encountered more delays -- all results of the heightened terrorism threat alert level.

On Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security raised the level from elevated, or yellow, to high, or orange, the second-highest level on the department's five-color warning system. (Full story)

The move was based mostly on information gleaned from a high volume of "chatter" among suspected terrorists, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said.

Ridge warned of possible strikes more devastating than the al Qaeda airliner attacks of September 11, 2001, on New York and Washington, and told CNN on Monday that airplanes remain terrorists' weapon of choice.

"There is a continuous stream of reporting, literally from the last two years, that indicates [terrorists'] preference or desire to use aircraft as a means of attack," Ridge said on CNN's "American Morning."

In addition to Washington, anti-aircraft missile batteries may be deployed around New York City, and a senior Pentagon official said "irregular air patrols" had been ordered.

Governors have been given lists of specific measures and sites to be protected, including critical infrastructure that if hit by an aircraft could cause extensive problems, an official said.

A government official said numerous people have been blocked from entering the country at various locations since December 1 but would not give specifics.

Another U.S. official said a handful of foreign flight crew members had been stopped in recent days.

The United States is working with airlines and foreign governments to improve their security postures, officials said.

There is concern about Mexico and Canada because of their contiguous airspace with the United States.

More serious this time
    Officials at all levels said the threat this time around seems more serious than previous alerts.

One senior Pentagon official described the terrorism threat level as "true orange," noting that some previous orange designations had been viewed with skepticism.

There are particular concerns about Washington, New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Nevada, a handful of other cities and two rural areas -- one in the East and one in the Southwest, officials said.

Some homeland security officials predicted the increased security could last into February, at a cost of about $1 billion per week -- much of it in increased overtime costs for law enforcement personnel.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon will conduct a continuity-of-government exercise as part of the orange alert, officials said.

Key officials will be told to move to secret alternative facilities. It was not clear how many people would be involved or whether they would move by helicopter or motor vehicle.

A senior Defense Department official described the intelligence that led to the orange alert as "specific, reliable, credible."

"From many, many sources from around the world, we've seen a significant increase in the level [of chatter] and the number of reports with regard to imminent threats against the homeland," Ridge said.

"Multiple sources [are] basically saying the same thing -- talking about near-term attacks the scope of which would be similar to or even greater than September 11."

Government sources said some of the intelligence came from Britain.

The United States last raised the domestic terrorism threat level to orange May 20, after suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco blamed on al Qaeda. That alert lasted 10 days before the threat level was returned to yellow.

Other orange alerts were raised in 2002 around the first anniversary of the September 11 attacks and in February 2003, on the eve of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March.

Travel watch
    President Bush said Americans needed to go about their lives as usual.

"But as they do so, they need to know that governments at all levels are working as hard as we possibly can to protect the American citizens," Bush said Monday at a menorah-lighting ceremony in the White House. (Full story)

New York Gov. George Pataki said he signed an executive order to allow state troopers from New York, Connecticut and New Jersey to ride commuter trains.

In addition, he told reporters, "we've increased patrols along the Canadian borders and ... are working to make sure everything from airports to bridges, tunnels and other mass transit facilities have heightened security."

But Pataki urged visitors and residents to get out and enjoy the season. "Go to the restaurants, see the shows; there's no more exciting or better place to be."

Los Angeles Mayor Jim Hahn said security was heightened at Los Angeles International Airport and the Port of Los Angeles.

Some travelers were annoyed because of delays, but many took the changes in stride. (CNN/Money: Alert hits airlines)

"I travel international, and I don't feel it's giving me a lot of comfort," said one Los Angeles flight passenger. "It seems like there's a lot of confusion."

The airport is expected to handle 2.6 million passengers between this past Friday and January 6.

One woman at Miami International Airport said she was resigned to coping.

"The line seems to be pretty long, but it doesn't seem to be bothering too many people," she said.

"We have to travel, we can't live in fear, and you know they raise this level to orange somewhat with regularity. But what really can we do about it, other than just travel?"

In Miami harbor, submarines and dive teams are inspecting the undersides of ships. Four million passengers and 9 million tons of cargo come through the port each year.

Overseas alerts
    The heightened security concerns involved U.S. interests overseas as well.

U.S. military bases have raised their force protection levels from "Alpha" to "Bravo," a Pentagon official said.

Specific bases were not named. The change means more perimeter patrols and security checks will be performed on people and vehicles entering and leaving the facilities.

U.S. military intelligence officials said al Qaeda terrorists may be in the final stages of planning an attack in Saudi Arabia.

Last week, the State Department authorized nonessential diplomats and families of U.S. officials to leave Saudi Arabia because of ongoing security concerns, and urged Americans to defer travel to the kingdom.

Terrorism expert Brian Jenkins of the Rand Corp. told CNN that the terrorists' goal -- whether at home or at U.S. interests abroad -- is to affect every American.

"The target of it is every one of us -- our continued commitment to values, for which this country stands," he said.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Going to have to agree with George here...Being a 911 Dispatcher and working in the police station you get to know alot of details left out of the news.....Be careful out there....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Originally posted by nmfire

Fasten all seat belts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the 3-ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo...

Ah good old Mel Brooks can make you laugh even in these trying times. Keep safe everyone.

Originally posted by Engine58
    Going to have to agree with George here...Being a 911 Dispatcher and working in the police station you get to know alot of details left out of the news.....Be careful out there....
    Sorry, but I've gotta call BS on this one. I'm sure that Ridge & his boys have reason enough to raise the terror threat alert level. However, I doubt that America's 911 dispatchers are in the inner loop as to why.

I'm a firefighter but I work in a public safety building. Yep... that means that I work in a police station, too. I can tell you that we didn't receive notification until the change was announced on the news.

Originally posted by FyredUp
    Some of you may think this whole threat warning system is a joke...I for one don't see a single thing funny about the thought of another terrorsit attack and our government doing the best job it can to keep us alert to possible threats.
    You're confusing the terror alert color chart with the idea of additional terror attacks...

Tom Ridge's Rainbow of Terror = Funny.
    Additional terror attacks = Not funny.

Seriously... according to the official "Homeland Security Advisory System," do you think we ever reach green? Of course not. Green means low risk of terrorist attacks. Even if there ever were a low risk of attacks, you wouldn't advertise that. That would be like the cops saying that today will have a low risk of burglaries.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Cozmosis...

Like I said my family and I are flying this weekend and I am a little tense about that so my humor meter is real freaking low about the terrorist thing.

So while to others it may be a laugh riot I find it difficult to join in right now.

FyredUp

Can I recommend a site to everyone?

For those of you who don't have special paging/cell phone systems provided by your agency with links to FEMA/NWS/etc (I'd say that's many of us), here is a free public-private service:

http://www.emergencyemail.org/

I subscribe, and notifications are formatted for various media (cell phone, pagers, e-mail) and sent nearly immediately as they are issued.

I was working a police detail when the terror status recently increased - I checked the time against the time the department was advised, and I received the message more than an hour before they did. All by cell phone text message. All very cool and useful. I subscribe to all the weather watches/warnings they offer as well.

"The network, started in 1999, is the creation of the company?s founder and CEO, J. William Tamargo who designed the system to take advantage of the reliability of the Internet to deliver critical Emergency communications directly from the originating agency to the end user. "The Emergency Email Network gives participating agencies direct access to proprietary communications database," Tamargo said. "End Users can choose from a menu of official information including customized weather warnings and direct messaging from County Emergency Operations Centers and other official agencies."
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

At least they are taking terror threats seriously. Back in the mid 90's my gun toating friends and I had formed a loose knit private militia group. We watched the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents and then for 2 years listened to the shortwave broadcasts of people planning 'preemptive' strikes on the government. On the evening of April 18 before the Oklahoma bombing we heard constant predictions of attacks planned for Patriots Day, April 19. Several of us in my group spent the entire evening scanning the news channels and radio waves until the news broke of the Federal Building bombing. The Government said that McVeigh took them by complete suprise and that high level government officials were out golfing when the attack happened. My BS meter pegged out when I heard that. So I was to beleive that half a dozen guys in Louisiana were up all night eating pizzia and loading ammo mags for their rifles but the government was completely unaware? PULEEEZZEE!!!! We had even taken bets on where the attacks whould happen. I figured the Houston Ship Channel would be targeted but it didn't happen. Nobody in my group picked OK City.
    When the Truck bomb was set off in the World Trade Centter parking garage the Government had an informant inside the cell who told them the attack was comming. They even had video of the Terrorists mixing the explosive. Still the tangos were able to set off their bomb.
    Then in 9/11/01 the airplane attacks occur and the government intell officials who make the big bucks were caught by suprise again. They stated that nobody could foresee terrorists using passenger planes as weapons. Again my BS detector went haywire.
    I'm glad to see the Government taking more steps to monitor "Chatter" but I wonder how much they still miss or let through. The average citizen who depends on the networks for information will never be up to speed. Those who seek alternative sources such as BBC or other foreign news services and even some shortwave broadcasts will have a clearer picture of how the rest of the world sees American and what they have planned for us.

Thread Information