Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Rescue Quint

Now I know that we have gone round and round about quints. All that I am asking is: My department is looking at putting rescue tools and some other misc. rescue equipment, stokes, a little ropes equip, cribbing, ems equipment, and then a full compliment of truck co tools, oon a single axle quint. We are looking to dedicate one side to rescue and one to truck co ops. I know in past forums people have said that it is too much weight, ect. Our problem, just as it is everyone elses is money. We are trying to get the biggest bang for our buck and this is how we feel that we can do it. Does anyone run this way, does anyone have any in put, and if you don't think that it can be done, why, alot of companies are selling alot of these units. We are currently looking at Smeal, Pierce, E-One, and maybe Ahrens Fox. Just looking for a little help. Also if your department has purchased a similar unit, what was the cost?

Thanks a ton for the input.

Stay safe

Leather 4 ever

MembersZone Subscriber

OH yea, pics are very welcome. Thanks again

Originally posted by truckco1
    OH yea, pics are very welcome. Thanks again
    From the one of "the other" magazines... not a single rear axle though:

http://www.jems.com/ffnews/fd2000/9index.html

There are lots of ladders/trucks that carry some of this equipment, but ones with ALL of the listed equipment are rare. I think Fallon-Churchill might have a comparable layout and equipment cache. I think you will have a problem trying to go with a single rear axle given the weight you will be dealing with.

I understand what you're trying to do, but the most bang for your buck might just be a standard/demo aerial and a standard/demo ladder tender (small squad, mini-pumper, etc) for the additional rescue tools.
    Last edited by Resq14; 12-21-2003 at 05:45 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

truckco1,

Email me, avaal@psci.net

I have some insight snd some questions.

You can do it, and it works well. However, I would recommend a dual rear axle. All the equipment adds a lot of weight and you get more braking power with a dual. And dont worry about increase in size. You can get a unit with dual rear axle and still be able to get where you need to.

We have a 2002 Pierce with a 75' stick, 1500gpm pump, 500 gallons of water, 50 gallons of foam, 1000' 5" LDH, 300' 3", 200' 2.5" 450' 1.75" hose, full vehicle extrication (with cribbing, struts and air bags), rope rescue equipment, water rescue equipment, portable lighting, full ALS equipment, full NFPA ground ladders along with ventilation (gas & electric fans), forced entry, salvage and basic truck and engine company equipment.

All on a dual rear axle with a total vehicle length of 38', a hieght of 11" 9" and a wheelbase of 226". With the 45 degree cramp angle, it out turns the 1988 Pierce 75 with a single axle it replaced.

Dave

http://psfrd.org/
    Last edited by Dave1983; 12-22-2003 at 06:57 PM.

I guess it all depends on how much rescue equipment you want to carry. For many, "rescue" is vehicle extrication.

Consider what level you respond at for the following (awareness, ops, tech, etc) and what rescue equipment you will need:
    • fireground search and rescue operations,
    • thermal imaging for heat sources and victim location,
    • vehicular extrication,
    • heavy lifting capabilities,
    • rescue from entrapment (industrial accidents),
    • high-angle rope rescue,
    • surface water rescue,
    • scuba water rescue,
    • swift water rescue,
    • ice rescue,
    • metal cutting,
    • masonry cutting and breaking,
    • collapse rescue,
    • shoring and rigging,
    • confined space rescue,
    • hazardous gas and confined space air monitoring,
      trench rescue,
    • mechanical hand tools,
    • elevator rescue equipment,
    • electrical lighting and power supply,
    • emergency medical services treatment and patient handling, and
      other functions particular to your specific jurisdiction.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

My volunteer department is having one made right now. They started cutting metal for it a month ago. I'll post pics of the final rig around February or March. All rescue tools in the front bumper, dual flood lights above the windshield, cribbing for 2 vehicles, limited ropes, stokes, etc. plus the usual 3 attack lines, light tower, CAFS, 1000' of 5" LDH, 600' of 2-1/2" apartment lay, dual ladder racks for ground ladders and pike poles, all the usual stuff. It is being built by E-One with a rescue body and 500 gallon tank and all on a single axle. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot for the info so far. Couple of questions, what did that pierce run you price wise? and larry what is that e-one gona cost you, and is it a side stacker?

Keep the info coming

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

The ball park price on ours is around $485,000.00. When we go to the factory we will probably find something else we want to add so there is about a 5-7% variance to take into consideration. And no, its not a side stacker. I would never encourage the purchase of one of those because I like compartment space evenly spread around the rig as it makes setting up your tools and equipment easier and more efficient on the scene. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Larry, when is the tentative delivery and inservice time. Also, what station will you be housing it.

J. Brown
    "Dont forget to wear your Reed"
    "When you buy junk, you now own junk"

J.Brown

MembersZone Subscriber

Larry,
    Do you think that you could get a job number on the truck so I could have our local rep bring up a copy of the specs?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Jeremy it will be assigned as Engine 2 on Mula Rd. (With the possibility of being designated Quint 2). Delivery to the local dealer is expected at the end of January/beginning of February with delivery to our department after the FDIC show. E-One has requested to display it at the show. As for the job number, I will look at our drawings tommorrow and post it for you.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 12-30-2003 at 05:46 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Truck Co. 01, the S.O. # is 127287. I hope this helps. While looking over the drawings today, I made some mental notes of some of the features if your interested before you get the drawings. Keep in mind something though, we have a 95' Ladder Tower quint that is our primary Truck Co. The apparatus currently being built is intended to compliment our Ladder Tower Co. (Not replace it), be of reasonable size to function as an Engine Co. and still pack a damn good 1st in punch. With that said, the big items are: E-One Typhoon chassis with seating for 6 and a 20" raised roof, Cummins ISL 400HP engine, and an Allison automatic transmission with Jacobs brake. 1-200' 2" speedlay, 1-250' 2" speedlay, 1-150' 1-3/4" crosslay and 1-200' 3" apartment lay and the hose tray on the officers side pump panel area will carry a pre-connected 100' 1-3/4" trashline. A transverse back board & stokes basket compartment above the speed lays, 2-900W floodlights above windshield, 1-500W floodlight each side in area of rear cab doors, 1-500W floodlight below hosebed to the rear, metal halide light tower behind light bar and ahead of raised roof, 2 removeable tripod lights, Tomar 5 mini bar cab upper warning with all upper warning lights around the rig being Tomar, Whelen lower strobes all the way around, front bumper compartment to hold 2-100' hydraulic reels, 1 spreader (Pre-connected), 1 cutter (Pre-connected) and 2 rams. Waterous S-100 2000GPM pump with CAFS available to the aerial and all pre-connects, 2-6" intakes on the Officers side with NONE on the Chauffeurs side, 500 GWT and 40 gallon Class "A" tank and a 10KW PTO generator. The hosebed will carry 1000' of 5", 600' of 6" and 600' of 2-1/2". There are dual ladder racks to carry 1-24' extention ladder, 1-16' roof ladder and 1-10' attic ladder each along with 1-6' and 1-8' pike pole and 1-6' and 1-8' sheetrock puller. The aerial is a midmount 50' tele-boom with a simple and quick 2 outrigger stabilization system. Alot of time and thought went into specing this apparatus out and we are confident the concept and specs will work out well for us for years.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 12-31-2003 at 04:56 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

The 2002 Pierce was $518,000.00 with another $20,000.00 for equipment. It would have been more but we got in on the bid price for another local department.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

truckco1:

If you really want to stay on the single rear axle, start with an aerial device that is already lighter by design (i.e., the E-One HP75) or some kind of a squirt. The standard HP75 only uses an 18,000 lb. front axle, so there’s room to up-size (I know E-One typically recommends the 18,000 lb., but if you really need the extra capacity, that would take precedence).

Keep an eye on your equipment weights (make sure you’re using the lightest possible air packs, jaws, hose, etc.). Make the most use out of your limited compartment space, and make sure to use running boards, tailboard, front bumper, in-cab space, dead space (wheel wells, under-cab space etc.) etc. Have the manufacturer engineer the truck to hold every bit of loose equipment that it will carry, then custom mount it (take a look through some previous posts regarding equipment layout on rescue pumpers/squads – some of the good posts are from quite a while back).

While Resq14 and Station2 posted what are probably the best-designed rescue-quints in the country (plus Mason, OH’s twin Quantum Skybooms, which, similar to Station2’s setup, back up their 100’ platform), there are more out there that will do most of what you are looking for.

Union Township, IN recently took delivery of a quint with pre-connected jaws, cribbing, EMS equipment, gas meters, stokes, etc. that has a number of good ideas for in-cab layout (despite its atrocious paint/striping scheme and poor water delivery setup). Spring, TX has seven identical HP75 CAFS quints with basic hydraulic extrication tools, cribbing, EMS supplies, etc. There are many more out there, just keep an eye out.

Your best bet is to start with a good solid quint and then research as many really well-designed, compact rescue pumpers as you can. There are many more of those out there than there are really well-designed rescue-quints. Take the best ideas from the rescue pumpers and incorporate them into your solid quint design (hint, hint: start with an HP75 if you rule out a squirt and go for a true aerial). You are only limited by your imagination.

Drop me a line by email if you have any questions about anything I mentioned here or if you want to look into some of it more in-depth – I’ll set you up with some more resources. CLanger@firehousemail.com

Station2:

We got the prints for your new rig last week, along with a bunch of others from FRG. It appears very well designed, and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

It seems that out of a whole list of apparatus, they conveniently forgot to send us the prints for Annaville and Seabrook. Funny.

They also left out the prints for Niagara, NY’s pumper-tanker-teleboom. Are you familiar with that purchase at all? Drop me a line if you get a chance.
    Last edited by HFDCLanger; 02-02-2004 at 12:28 AM.

Forum Member

Dave,

That is a beautiful truck, is there someway I may be able to get the specs and more information and pictures. I am try very hard to spec a piece like that but has been difficult to persaude others of the benefits. That sounds like a great price too.

Thanks,
    John

jajvdodson@yahoo.com

Thanks GA! We are very happy with it. I will see what I can do about specs. Not sure if I will be able to track them down but I will get the Pierce job number and perhaps your local Pierce dealer can use it to get you all the info you need. That photo I posted is the only one I have, but I will try and get more sometime this week.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

My department just purchsed a single axle rescue quint from Smeal. We have not taken delivery of it yet, but other than some minor engineering questions, all should be good. The quint includes:

A full set of Ladder company equipment and ladders
    75ft Steel Aerial Ladder
    A full set of Engine company Hoses / Adapters / Tools
    Supply Hose bed capable of holding 800 - 1000 ft of 4"
    25kW PTO generator
    Cutter and Spreader w/ reels mounted in front bumper
    Electric powered Hydraulic Simo Pump (also a backup portable gas pump)
    Underbody storage
    2000 GPM Pump
    500 Gallon Tank
    30 Gallon Class B Foam Tank w/integrated foam system

When this unit arrives, we will staff an Engine, Quint and Medic from Each station

One station has a rescue engine - the other will have a rescue quint

I will post pictures as soon as it arrives

Thread Information