Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default He's the Ever Ready Bunny!

Well, this little surprise got me to wondering today:
    To: Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program applicants and grantees

Any grant recipient or applicant who used the services of, consulted with, or otherwise obtained the assistance of a Mr. Larry H. Stevens (Fallon, NV); ISOSlayer@aol.com; and/or ISOSlayer.com, in regards to submitting a grant application to FEMA or for services involving, in any manner, the purchase of equipment or vehicles pursuant to a successful grant application, is requested to contact FEMA at usfagrants@dhs.gov within 60 days. If you obtained the services of Mr. Stevens or the ISOSlayer, please respond to this email and identify your department and the application/grant number. Also, please supply a brief explanation of the aforementioned individual/company's involvement with your grant application and/or assistance in securing equipment/vehicles purchased with FEMA grant funds. Negative responses are NOT required.

Acknowledging a business relationship with Mr. Stevens or the ISOSlayer will in no way affect your status with FEMA or the grant program.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter,

Grants Program Office

Now, what do you suppose is up with this?
    Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm
    Tyler

MembersZone Subscriber

I just opened the same email. I would really like to know what this is about...

I have heard quite a few stories about this guy and I sense that he did something illegal in helping departments obtain their grants.

I'm guessing its not going to be a very Merry Christmas for Larry..

But that's my opinion....If you have one, I would love to hear it and possibly find out what this is all about.

Just what % do you suppose someone is getting out of a successful grant application??

HMMMMMMMMM

The following are my references.
    Larry Stevens
    (800) 595-2600 (775) 224-0476
    ISOslayer@aol.com
    2050 Manchester Circle
    Fallon, NV 89406

POLARIS, MONTANA. (population 100 Wrote a $156,000 fire grant that was awarded.

GRASS VALLEY, NEVADA. (population 1,500) Wrote a $156,000 fire grant that was awarded.

KINGSTON, NEVADA. (population 110) Wrote two fire grants $9000 and $99,000 that were awarded.

HOUSTON, TEXAS. (population 2,000,000) Wrote two fire grants $530,000 and $750,000 that were awarded.

GOLDBEACH, OREGON. (population 200) Wrote a $150,000 fire grant that was awarded.

GRANBURY, TEXAS. (population 9,000) Helped with fire grant application that was awarded $42,730.

Forum Member

Default Did everyone receive the e-mail

I have checked both my home e-mail and the email center on the Fire Act Grant page and didn't receive the e-mail.

Is this an email that was sent out to everyone? Make me wonder if I'm getting all of my e-mails from FEMA. Still waiting for the 7 questions..............

Forum Member

I too, did not recieve any such message from FEMA. I also wonder if theirs (or my) e-mail is messed up.

Forum Member

Default Just Curious

Did any forum members use this guy?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It appears that only people that used Larry H would get the email. (Someone correct me if you got the email and didn't use him.) Since anyone who used a grant writer and is asking for reimbursement needed to list that as an expense, they'd know who was hired. Sounds like something not too kosher went on for FEMA to be the ones asking questions. Of course they did bring fraud charges against others in past years, one of those little known facts. Contrary to popular belief, they do check everything put on the application.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

It appears that only people that used Larry H would get the email.
    If FEMA already knew these departments had used him, why would they ask again? It seems to me that an e-mail like that was intended for everybody, and some of us (me included) aren't getting them.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Question

Has anyone contacted FEMA at all to see if it's even a legitimate email? Maybe it's just a bad joke...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually received two emails. 1 for my 2002 and 1 for my 2003 application. Each of the emails had my grant number in the sunject line. So I do think these are actual FEMA emails to have my grant number in the subject line.

I did not use Larry either year. I was awarded a grant in 2003, but not in 2002. Also, I have never hired a grant writer. I have wrote mine the last three years and it has been indicated that way on my applications.

Hope this answers some questions. However, I still have no idea what this is about????
    Last edited by toddmcbr; 12-22-2003 at 04:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

I received the email, but I have never used nor would I ever use Larry H. Stevens for anything remotely affiliated with his "expertise".
    It looked like a "blanket" email sent to anyone who applied for a grant.
    It should go to the grant administrator or the designated email address for any and all information in regards to your grant.
    With the exception of Houston, it looks like a certain somebody was preying on small departments. That's what it looks like to me.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I didn't get an e-mail, either. Didn't use anybody but me to write it, either. I haven't gotten any e-mails from FEMA since last year when they gave me the bad news. Somebody ask FEMA what's up.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Somebody ask FEMA what's up.
    I did just that this afternoon, Jack. I'll post whatever I get, as soon as I get it.
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-22-2003 at 08:02 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Larry do something weird/ illegal/ obnoxious / holyier than thou????
    Hey Lurking Larry, go ahead and respond and let us all know what the deal is in your own words, you know "The Gospel according to Isoslayer"
    By the way, is there anyone on here that hasnt had words with him???? or at least grumbled about something he did or said????
    Tyler

Forum Member

Default Status of email

Did anyone here back from FEMA on why some got the emails and others did not?

I take it from some of the replies above the ISOSlayer doesn't have a great reputation, since my only info on him was that two neighboring departments hired him to help them with an ISO review, what have others experienced with him.

Forum Member

This is just a guess. May be a possibility that only applicants who applied for trucks have received the email from FEMA. I applied for FF equipment and safety and did not receive an email. I know CR applied for a truck what about the rest of you?
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Good point

I think you might have found the common thread, I also applied for equipment (SCBA, Radios).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I didn't get the email either. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it involved vehicles and ISO rating. Reportedly, a couple Houston area departments that used the "slayer" and followed his rantings that only one manufacturers' trucks can help your ISO rating, are now under investigation for falsifying information filed with the ISO. Whether he filled out the application directly, or the department did it following his statements, or if he even knew what they filed with ISO, I don't know.

Kinda silly that people bought that part about only one manufacturer's truck being able to help ISO ratings. Water supply is water supply. And it's 40% of the rating, so anything that can deliver water works. Trucks aren't made differently enough. It's all in the spec. They all can build them.

Anyway, glad to hear that they tossed all of those applications. I hope they let the departments know that's why, because otherwise they'll pay the same person next year up front and just be burning money. I'd want to know. Then I'd want to know where they live and gather up a whoop-***** posse.....

Thread Information