Default 95 Ford Winstar Fire

Had a vehilce fire that involved a 1995 Ford Winstar passenger van earlier this evening. This fire was hard to extinguish due to a metal that was highly reactive with water inside the middle of the passsenger compartment. Underneath the center bench seat in the rear of the vehicle there was something that would create a pure white flame everytime water would hit it (like magnesium). Just wandering if anyone else had ran across this problem in a similar situation?
    FF954/FF240
    FF-1
    www.waverlyfiredepartment.com
    http://www.bright.net/~huntfire/

Forum Member

It sounds like it was magnesium.

Under the center bench seat...I am guessing that it was probably part of an aftermarket car audio system. Installers like to hide amplifiers under seats (in my Jeep, it is under the rear seat on the passenger side)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

good job Gonzo ...........sounds like magnesium to me !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Many auto manufacturers are using magnesium in the seat frames, due to it's light weight, another place that I have seen alot of it is the plate in the steering wheel behind the air bag, also the stiffening bar in the dash of some gm products.

Thread Information