Administrator

Default Firehouse.com Celebrates 5 Years

This week, Firehouse.com will celebrate its fifth anniversary of being the online source of news, training, information and community for the World's Bravest.

We've survived the dot-com boom, and bust, and covered some of the biggest stories in the fire service, from Worcester, to the FIRE ACT, 9/11, the California Wildfires and Alcohol in the Firehouse.

Later this month, we'll be posting our annual most read stories of 2003, but what we want to know from our users is what have been the biggest stories in the five years of Firehouse.com? How has Firehouse.com impacted your life, if at all, and how has it impacted your job as an emergency responder?

Please feel free to post your comments right here, please include your rank and state if possible.

Thanks!
    WebTeam

District Chief

Thumbs up

I will give it some thought and perhaps provide some input. Just wanted to take time and say that even though the WT and I have had some "rocky interactions", I think you are doing a fine job. I may not agree with all you do or say, but I think you rate a "Thumbs up!"

Merry XMAS
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

IACOJ BOD

Being able to learn new techniques, concepts and swap ideas with people around the world has been fantastic.

Cheers webteam. (Have a BEER).
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Much like captstanm has said, me and the WT haven't always seen eye to eye, but you guys do a hell of a job!

I think FH.com has impacted me by teaching me little tricks of the trade that I otherwise wouldn't know, and by making me think outside of the box(see the WWYD threads, great reads!). My experience is basically zero, but thanks to FH, I have a much better idea of what's going on, since there are so many brothers and sisters willing to contribute knowledge and information to each other from around the world. Thank all of you, and keep it up! Hopefully one day I will be able to contribute and help the younger guys like you all do every day, whether you realize it or not! Thanks a million!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely. Worcester, FIRE Act, 9/11 and the California Wildfire season have been forever ingrained in our psyches. But you also have Lairdsville; Coos Bay; Osceola County, FL; New Castle, Wy; Storm King and the West Warwick Supper Club fire.
    The commentaries have been very thought-provoking.
    The articles have been timely and educational.
    The Firehouse Forums have been instrumental in keeping the nation's firefighters in touch with each other.
    You have alot to be proud of.
    As has been already noted, we don't always agree, but if we did, how much fun would that be?
    You have a REASON to celebrate.
    Enjoy the moment.
    My rank is president of our fire department's board of trustees.
    I am proud to say that I am from Illinois-Land of Lincoln.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Absolutely. Worcester, FIRE Act, 9/11 and the California Wildfire season have been forever ingrained in our psyches. But you also have Lairdsville; Coos Bay; Osceola County, FL; New Castle, Wy; Storm King and the West Warwick Supper Club fire.
    These would have been my picks, as well. The information that can be found in the articles, and the forums, is invaluable to me. I enjoy the lively discussions in the forums, and visiting Firehouse.com has become something I do several times a day. There are many fire related sites out there; but, Firehouse.com is tops, without at doubt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Happy Fifth

Hard to believe. I have become so accustomed to using the site it seems firehouse.com has been forever. Happy Birthday firehouse .com keep up the good work.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well,......................

As a Grumpy old "Retired Career firefighter, now a Volunteer Chief" type of person, I must say that I have had my ups and downs with the WT. However, To Dave, Who had a vision, and Jenni, who figures out how all the pieces fit, Congratulations! a job well started. I said started because you're not done, FH is, and always will be, a work in progress. And, WT, Watch it, I have a pumper within deck gun range of your office. Thank You. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Fire Chaplain

Happy Birthday to You!
    Happy Birthday to You!
    Happy Birthday Dear Webteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!
    Happy Birthday to You!

(didn't know I could sing, did ya?)
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh?............

Originally posted by IACOJRev

(didn't know I could sing, did ya?)
    You Can?? A VERY Merry Christmas to you and yours Rev, Enjoy.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This site is a must for any professional firefighter. By bringing together issues, incidents, and concerns of the fire service throughout North America and the world, firehouse.com promotes growth in our profession. Good job, keep up the good work.
    Make your weaknesses your strengths

District Chief

>The debates have been spirited

>The subjects/topics have been moving at times

>The subjects/topics at times have also been "personal" even though all of us were not directly involved

>The suspensions have been grueling

>The information passed around the world has been beneficial

>Most of all the friendships gained are invaluable (even though some of us will never meet)
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

It doesnt really seem like 5 years at all..............I am usually heree at least once a day and I like that I feel that this the "hub" of American firefighting. I am also greatful for the little group of us that are the main posters, we dont always agree but are always respectful. So in closing .........let it roll boys.........it is a good place to stop by, an Asst Chief in Ohio.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

In my mind, Firehouse.com has made the news highlights in the print magazines obsolete. I check the home page at least a couple of times a day to see what is going on in the fire service world.

Others have already touched on the "biggest" stories, and I don't have anything else to add in that regard, but I will say that I think the site (the forums in particular)was a key player in sparking the national debate on alcohol in the fire service. It would have been a real tragedy if that discussion had lost its intensity and urgency because of the lead times required of the print media.

ullrichk
    Tennessee

MembersZone Subscriber

Perfect it aint, but it's a pretty good deal in my book.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Thumbs up Congratulations Firehouse

Way to go Firehouse. Congrats on your 5th aniversary. I have been a long time visitor to this site and a new member as of 2002. I love this site and frequent it everyday (more than once, I must admit!! ) I just wanted to say keep up the good work and what an awesome site this is. Merry Christmas, Happy Hoidays and Have a safe and joyus New Year Firehouse and all it's visitors and members. This is the best sight in my book. WAY 2 GO FIREHOUSE!! Congratulations!!
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congratulations!

Here's to many more...

Firehouse.com has served as an example of what WE (the collective fire and emergency medical service) can do if WE all get together and move in a direction (any direction, just choose one). The fragmentation that has traditionally been the downfall of our industry gets lesser daily when people can interact with one another, discuss issues frankly, and identify common denominators. By putting all of these diverse thinkers into one place, Firehouse.com has achieved something that emergency services has needed for years- validity.

The users of this resource hopefully will come away better educated- enlightened, even- and be more able to help move us forward to a more progressive (yes, THAT word) and professional delivery of service.

So to the WT, I hoist a frosty beverage and wish you all many more.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Forum Member

Smile

Nice going, looking forward to another five more. Good Job!!!!!!

Forum Member

As the saying goes: Often imitated. Never duplicated. (Isn't that Hooters' motto?)

Many have tried and failed at attempting to be what Firehouse.com is to the emergency services community.

Firehouse.com has quickly and effectively grown to be the clearinghouse for all that the fire service is and shall be.

I'm proud to be affiliated with the premier medium for communications within the world of public safety.

Kudos to Dave and the team you have assembled.

Stay the course. Keep the faith.
    Stay safe. Train often.

Tiger Schmittendorf
    MembersZone Contributing Editor

Deputy Fire Coordinator
    Erie County Division of Fire Safety
    Department of Emergency Services
    716/681-7111 - FAX/681-3645
    www.erie.gov/fire
    schmitte@erie.gov

Chief of Training/PIO
    Evans Center Fire Company
    Town of Evans NY
    www.ecvfc.org
    tiger5@firehousezone.com

Forum Member

Would I have flown halfway across the country to appear on the doorstep of a beautiful young EMT from Indiana on Christmas Day were it not for FH.com?

I think not...........

MembersZone Subscriber

Speaking from the other side of the world, firehouse.com has brought us a lot closer to the rest of the firefighting world, it has shown us how things are being done elsewhere - and how we can do them better, it has enabled us to share the brotherhood, to share the grief that we experienced when we had our own bad day (5x LODD at the Linton fire), and to allow each of us to express our sympathies to some of the members of FDNY in the days following 9/11 - an event that has brought firefighters together from all over the world like no other.

Thanks for being the medium that has allowed all of this.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
    Would I have flown halfway across the country to appear on the doorstep of a beautiful young EMT from Indiana on Christmas Day were it not for FH.com?

I think not...........

I met someone very special to me right here on FH.com as well...

Let's also not forget about the online bachelor party that you guys threw for me (by the way, there is still a lot of things left in the "lost and found" bin....)

When it comes to making that final step and tying the knot, I know FH.com will be involved.

FH.com has become a central hub for sharing fire fighting information, not only in the United States, but the entire world. "Knowledge is Power" and with the amount of knowledge we can all gain from each other's experiences we will have the power to move the fire service forward.

I, personally, have learned a lot here on FH.com. From a few new extrication tricks, to the hidden science behind pumping. Not to mention the truck load of questions I have asked, the answers and opinions I have given to others; and above all else, some of the friendships that have I have seen formed between people, who if it wasn't for FH.com would never have happened. There is a brotherhood in the fire service. FH.com has taken that brotherhood from around the station, to around the world.

Here's to the first five years of firehouse.com, in the hopes that there will be many more to come.

Stay Safe. Keep your visor down, and your head up.

Jason Dixon
    Firefighter - Equipment & SCBA Officer
    Malahat Volunteer Fire Department
    Malahat, British Columbia, Canada
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Well Done, WT

I think the biggest story is the one that brought me to this site: 9/11. Other ones which have had the most impact on me as a ff/medic and instructor were Lairdsville and the Andi Huber death.

Each story of a LODD, especially one in training, has made me a better instructor and mentor to younger personnel who need to temper their enthusiasm with caution.

This site has brought together outspoken and knowledgeable people throughout the country and from other places where other dialects of English are spoken (a jest for those who still are ruled by Her Majesty). It brought together the folks who became the IACOJ, a set of old hands who try to share their knowledge with the newer folks.

On a personal note, I've built friendships and learned from many folks. I've even had meals cooked by some of them.

I can't measure the overall effect, but I think this site has contributed to a gradual evolution of a national perspective from fire & EMS personnel.

Thank you.

Paul M. Amiott
    FF/Medic & Fire/EMS instructor, Ohio
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Thread Information