MembersZone Subscriber

Default The home apparently had no smoke detectors, officials said.

The home apparently had no smoke detectors, officials said.

Is anyone else sick of seeing these words in every story that is printed about a fatal fire in a residence?

Yeah, sprinklers are nice and in most places would be Utopia. But if there is one issue that should be pushed to the forefront of every single FD in North America, it is the placement of at least one working smoke detector in every residential unit. Every one.

It will not prevent a fire. It will not put out a fire. But it is a $10 investment that gives the occupants of the unit a fighting chance for survival in the event of a fire.

$10. That's the value some people place on their children's lives.

Forum Member

$10. That's the value some people place on their children's lives.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post SMOKE DETECTORS

Everyone should contact thier local ELK's club. They have a program where they get smoke detectors at a cheap price and will give the FD. We always have 5 detectors with batteries in each apparatus and we give them out if a house is found without one. We also will give out batteries if any detectors are found without them and even install them if approved by homeowner. The public is quite surprised when we offer to get them one and even install them. Each of the detectors have a sticker which states donated by the ELK's club. If anyone wants more information, please contact me via email

Be safe out there and use your seatbelts when responding
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

MembersZone Subscriber

I can beat that. The NJ Division of Fire Safety has a Smoke Detector Give-Away program. Free. For nothing. Yet very few FD's tap into it.

This thread reinforces my point about fire prevention. This is a point I've made before.

We could have a thread on here where we debate about how to fight a fire in a whatever, and it goes on for weeks. The bottom line is that the best way to fight that fire is before it occurs. Yet, very few people give a rat's butt about fire prevention. There is no glory, there is no rush, there is no machismo in fire prevention. We'd rather fight the fire as it is damaging property instead of stopping it before it damages anything.

It's the same with smoke detectors. With limited manpower, smoke detectors could be given away (at least in NJ) and installed in homes. Yet, because the fires would be discovered earlier and therefore not be as big, we push the smoke detector issue to the back corners of the fire service. Old guys, light duty guys, and misfits in need of punishment are often the manpower pool for the fire prevention bureau.

In the ife safety continuum, PREVENTION is the most important step.

Disillusioned Subscriber

We participate in a program through the Ohio Fire Marshal's Office called SAFE (Smoke detectors Are For Everyone). They give us the detectors, and we install them. All the people have to do is ask for them, sign an agreement of participation, and let us install them. That's the only condition to receive one. We mark them with a magic marker though inside the lid, "Do not exchange". There were some people that were taking them down, and trying to return them to Lowe's stores for cash.

You'd be amazed at the number of people that refuse them after they learn that we have to install them.

The bottom line is that the best way to fight that fire is before it occurs.
    The safest and the cheapest, too.
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-24-2003 at 11:08 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

From a fire perspective, I HATE this time of year!
    Scented candles left unattended causing fires.
    Clark Griswold's Christmas lights overloading every electrical circuit within a two block radius causing fires.
    Live Christmas trees not getting watered. Up in flames!
    For many, many years, the awareness/prevention programs have been out there. They are as simple as a free pamphlet from your fire marshal's office. In fact; there are several free offerings from many organizations out there that could potentially save a life.
    Smoke detectors and the lack of them in a household should be considered a criminal act. There is just no good reason NOT to have one. Local jurisdictions with the wherewithal should strictly enforce a smoke detector ordinance. Same should go for detectors found to be not working or without batteries.
    Lives are worth more than $10 for the detector or a $3 battery.
    Be aggressive. You can't just give them the stuff and say "well, we did our part."
    Nope; in this case, there has to be follow up. Their ignorance could cost you your life. So, in a way, you are helping YOU.
    Stay safe above all else.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-24-2003 at 12:02 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

They are as simple as a free pamphlet from your fire marshal's office.
    When is the last you saw someone from the marshall's office going door to door handing pamphlets out? How many people in your area (generally speaking) know where the fire marshall's office is? Not picking on you CR, just using your quote as a basis.

It's up to us, the FF's, to get this information out to people. How many companies will be (or have already) bringing Santa on their trucks to houses in their area? Why not hand out some pamphlets at the same time? It won't get every house, but it will get some. John Q Public does not walk around looking for fire prevention/safety materials. We need to bring it to them when they don't realize they need it. It needs to be there before it's too late.

Fire prevention is not just one week of the year.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bonesy:
    Sorry; I guess I didn't finish my thoughts.
    Our state fire marshal's office are like most others, I'm sure, in that they have a list of free fire prevention materials and videos that are sent to each department and can also be found on their website.
    And no; they don't hand the stuff out. We have to hand the stuff out. The Office will either send it to you for distribution or you can pick it up at their office.
    It's our effort; key word is that it takes effort. It's not glamorous. But if done right, it is very effective and very rewarding.
    Sorry for the brain burp.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-24-2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Our Provincial Fire Marshal's Office has taken an interesting turn over the last couple years. All advertisements and PSA's are touting "Fire Prevention is your responsibility". Imagine, finally making people responsible for their own fire safety.

There has also been an interesting trend from there as well and they make excellent points.

When a family has a fire the community bands together and raises money, gets them a new home, new furniture, new clothing etc. Nothing is ever said about the fact that they had no insurance, that the fire started because they were drunk, or whatever. In essence we are rewarding them for being careless. I didn't explain it near as efficiently as they did but I don't always have the time to type huge posts.

They are also looking at charging parents with child abuse when a child is lost in a fire. If the cause of the fire can be determined to be because of negligence, or if there were no working smoke alarms in the home, then in essence that is abuse. It will be an interesting concept to sell, but perhaps it's time has come?

Forum Member

Steamer, I sent you an email......

Forum Member

The USFA has free publications if your fire marshall does not or you need more.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/applications/publications/
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Angry

What kills me is that in many of these homes... there are no smoke detectors, but you will find big screen TV's, Cable tv with all of the premium channels, satellite dishes, DVD's, VCR's, killer audio systems and computers... why no smoke detectors?

"Because we can't afford them!"

Many of them have no insurance on their property using the same reason...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with all that has been posted so far. I agree that is some of our responsibility to get the right word out and to preach and that does take effort.

If I knew how to start on Poll on the forums I would-here is where I am going with this.

How many of us on the forums have smoke detectors in our homes and second most important is are the battaries in them and functioning.

I have been to a couple of my firefighters houses and pointed out the fact that I do not see any while having converstaion with them. I get the I did not think about it answer. THESE ARE THE ONES THAT SHOULD KNOW BETTER. How do you think they are going to make the effort to go out and spread the message when they have not even got the message.

It is all very frustating.

Just my thoughts on this

Forum Member

I will confess ..........and if some of my closer friends chuckle it is ok .......I was adamant about checking and installing them in our first house when we got married. In the house we bought in 2000, it had AC power direct to the detectors and had internal battery back up. In our situation a quick neighbor alterd my family before detectors sounded, but they did go off.........our department gives them away at all home high school football and basketball games through an arrangement with Home Depot. What else can you really do ? (in terms of getting them in the residences ?)
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe we should change our tactics. Instead of saying "The building had no smoke detector" we should say "The building had no sprinkler system."

It's not a long term solution, but maybe it would generate a little public discussion.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default One of my pet peeves, too.

It's one thing to not have smoke detectors at all, it's another thing to have them with no or dead batteries. The Suffolk County Fire Safety Educator's Association promotes "working smoke detectors save lives". A lot of people have them, they just don't change the batteries (we push "change your clocks, change your batteries", as well) or take them out when they burn food on the stove and then never put them back.

I think the media could play a wonderful role when it reports "no smoke detectors or no working smoke detectors" -- a few weeks ago, there was a fire on Long Island that made front page on Newsday because the dog saved the day! Buried toward the end of the "major" article was the fact that there were no smoke detectors present!! So, if there had been no dog, there would have been several lives lost. Smoke detectors and batteries are certainly cheaper to maintain then a dog.

An area Fire Dept. that sells Christmas trees also hands out holiday/tree safey brochures to all of their customers, so there's an idea for next year. If you don't sell trees, then visit your local nurseries/tree farms with the brochures. If you can find the brochures for free, make them up yourself. Better yet, if you can get the detectors at no or low-cost, give them away with the trees you sell.

I would think another area to help promote smoke detector safety would be your local real estate agents. Around me, they're always looking for a charity to make themselves well-known (a.k.a. look good).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

... from units on scene ... there were NO working smoke detectors in the structure ...

Family Dies Christmas Morning After Tree Ignites Home
    Couple, Daughter Killed In Blaze

POSTED: 11:49 AM EST December 27, 2003
    UPDATED: 12:07 PM EST December 27, 2003

LITITZ, Pa. -- Authorities say three people, including a 7-year-old girl, died when a dried-out Christmas tree apparently ignited by the tree's lights set fire to their Lancaster County home early Christmas morning.

The fire broke out just before 1 a.m. in the first-floor living room of a twin house in Warwick Township. Thirty-seven-year-old R. Scott Schoenberger, his wife, Rebecca Lynn, also 37, and 7-year-old their daughter, Amanda Lynn, were killed.

Stay Safe

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I can't count the number of smoke detectors I've seen in homes that were opened and missing batteries. When questioned the homeowner will say that they took it out to use in some appliance like a alarm clock or that the detector started 'chirping' one day so they took the battery out. The chirping, by the way, is the Low battery alert and means it's time to swap out with a fresh cell.
    It's sad really.

Thread Information