MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

I hope you are not directing that at me.
    Not at all.

Point, if any, was the "islamist" was also an idiot. Owned a bomb where the islamists are supposed to carry a bomb for allah.

Early Adopter

From the Firehouse.Com TOS
    You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
    Just thought I'd post a reminder.

I just read the entire thread in one sitting and there are certainly some posts (and images within posts) that violate the terms of service. I would hope the authors of those in question would reconsider their postings.

I think some have forgotten that, in the end, we're all brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, the way I see it, life would be pretty pointless if all you did was worry about what happened when you died.
    You see, that's the good news! With Jesus, you do not have to worry about it!

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

You see, that's the good news! With Jesus, you do not have to worry about it!
    And more good news... Without Jesus, I still don't worry about it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nmfire

And more good news... Without Jesus, I still don't worry about it.
    That was a great comeback.

George, As a fellow Christian I say amen and thank you for standing up for Jesus. God bless you.

IACOJ (ret)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Did you really think I could stay out of this?

The point being lost here is that we should not be condeming a religion because of the actions of a small minority of its followers.

Some of the remarks posted here have caused me to lose a degree of respect for their authors. Cozmosis had it right when he said that this is not about religion. A mentally disturbed person did this.

I have been on many EMS runs where a mentally disturbed person praised their god while behaving in all sorts of criminal or otherwise dangerous and irrational behavior. Their religion was not the cause of their actions.

P.S. It is hard to ignore Tiller when you guys keep quoting him.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You have a point. You never know what the wachos will do and religion probably had nothing to do with this. If he hadn't been praising Allah then it would have been something else like his saying the electric toaster on his kitchen counter told him to do it. Of course we all know how devious those toaster can be. Don't beleive a word my toaster ever says.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy WEBTEAM SHUT THIS ONE DOWN~~~~~

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SHUDDER TO THINK OF MY FELLOW BROTHERS BEING SO INCREDIBLY IGNORANT TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Forum Member

Originally posted by Cellblock776
    You have a point. You never know what the wachos will do and religion probably had nothing to do with this. If he hadn't been praising Allah then it would have been something else like his saying the electric toaster on his kitchen counter told him to do it. Of course we all know how devious those toaster can be. Don't beleive a word my toaster ever says.
    Steve.........Steve........its time to kill them all steve. Im watching you steve. Kill them all steve.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A scenario for theologians!

You arrive at the scene of a serious incident.
    Two of the victims have serious injuries and they believe that they are going to die.
    They want YOU to hear their last words. One professes that they want you to give them their last rites and to pray for them. The other does not believe in God, but does believe in an after life and wants your assurances that they will go there.
    You can't call for the chaplain. You are it! With your belief system; whatever it is, how are you going to handle this situation?
    Take your time in answering. And Jesse; a little less sarcasm. You'll scare the first timers off!
    OFD; again, a controversial subject and unpleasant for some, but no reason to shut a thread down.
    But the discussion needs to stay within a civil tone.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

As a Christian I can only pray for someone that has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I can witness them accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. For someone that believes in another superior being I cannot give them false hope. I will tell them about Jesus as the only way to an eternal life. This may not be the answer you are looking for but that is all I can give.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ciffret
    For someone that believes in another superior being I cannot give them false hope. I will tell them about Jesus as the only way to an eternal life.
    How very compassionate of you

In someone's dying moments I'll tell them whatever they want to hear to make it easier for them. Why make their last moments that much worse just because they call God a different name?

So what you're asking is am I'm gonna try to make them feel better by lying to them? Sure. Just as soon as I tell the family 'Don't worry, he's gonna be just fine.' What if I pull up and some Jewish family with a infant was in the wreck? Am I gonna be expected to grab a scalpel out of my EMT bag and perform a Bris (circumcision) on the shoulder of the road? I guess I'll start carrying communion wafers in my bag along with the tubes of flavored glucose. I have the Jamacan boarded up and we are waiting on the ambulance to transport so we light up one of his doobies and pass it back and forth because it's a religious ceremony he practices.
    So the first one wants last rights and a prayer? He better have his priest on speed dial on his cellphone. The other guy doesn't beleive in god but does beleive in an afterlife? That's like beleiveing in extraterrestrial flying saucers but not in the aliens that pilot them. What about a before life? Does anybody here except the Dali Lama, and I don't think he subscribes to this forum, remember a before life? And unless you strongly beleive in Karma do you really beleive that anything you did in a previous life makes a bit of difference in this one? And if you don't remember any live before this life then what makes you think that after you die you would remember this life at all in a afterlife?
    People, this is it. This is what we got. It's sad that some people can't handle reality and have to attach themselves to superstitions to keep from screaming themselves into a coma.

What if he want's to die and begs me to put him out of his misery? Do I use my .380 cal or the .38 special the Chief carries? Or do I wait for one of the other firefighters to get there with something bigger like a 40 or 45 cal.?
    I'm sure there are some here who beleive in assisted suicide. I wonder how they would work that scene.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: A scenario for theologians!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Two of the victims have serious injuries and they believe that they are going to die.

With your belief system; whatever it is, how are you going to handle this situation?
    CR
    Even if there's not much hope for them, I'm still going to do the best I can with what I have. I'd tell them that I'm not going to give up on them, and I expect them to get with the program and help me out (but stated a bit more diplomatically, perhaps).

If, for some reason, I'm going to have a long one-on-one with these victims I would be inclined to help them accept their impending death, and would steer them towards acceptance on their own terms. My own beliefs are of little or no importance in either case. I'm there to reassure and comfort the patient, not myself. And I could be wrong.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Cellblock:
    Any particular reason why you single out the Jewish and people of color(Jamacians) in your latest offering? You also mention "priest". Why not "preacher"?
    Assisted suicides? You figure out which calibre you'd use yet?
    The picture is becoming more and more complete.
    My favorite is still the Bible with a dagger through it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Originally posted by ciffret
    As a Christian I can only pray for someone that has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I can witness them accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. For someone that believes in another superior being I cannot give them false hope. I will tell them about Jesus as the only way to an eternal life. This may not be the answer you are looking for but that is all I can give.
    Jesus prayed for everyone....

It's self righteous hypocrisy like this that makes me wonder about the true beliefs of some people....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Re: A scenario for theologians!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    They want YOU to hear their last words. One professes that they want you to give them their last rites and to pray for them. The other does not believe in God, but does believe in an after life and wants your assurances that they will go there.
    You can't call for the chaplain. You are it! With your belief system; whatever it is, how are you going to handle this situation?
    Take your time in answering. And Jesse; a little less sarcasm. You'll scare the first timers off!
    OFD; again, a controversial subject and unpleasant for some, but no reason to shut a thread down.
    But the discussion needs to stay within a civil tone.
    CR
    Having been raised Catholic I would do my best to provide what the first pt asked for, not as good as a priest would be able to but I'd do my best. As for the second pt, he's entitled to his beliefs, as we ALL are, and I would do my best to reassure him as well. Everyone is entitled to their own belief system and it is not for us to judge. Each person needs to be at peace within themselves, they do not need to be at peace with US. Comfort and reassurance for both these pt's is what I would give.

(for the record I used the Catholic religion because it's what I'm familiar with and the pronoun "he" for simplicity in my response"
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Any particular reason why you single out the Jewish and people of color(Jamacians) in your latest offering?
    What? You got someone special you like to hate on that I missed? How about this scenerio-
    The ambulance pulls up to find that you and your fellow First Responders, following the dying wishes of your patient, have set up an alter. The patient is propped up next to the alter on which sits your loving sheep OneHole who has been your constant companion since the mysterious dissappearance of your wife a couple of years ago about the time you put that new concrete patio in the backyard. Following BLS protocols you can't personally plunge the ceremonial dagger in to your sacrificial sheep's chest since that would be considered invasive so you are assisting the patient by holding his hand high above his head so he can do it. As this is is happening, one of your First Responders is filling in the details to the paramedic who just arrived. The Paramedic, it's an ALS ambulance, comes over and completes the ceremony by removing the dagger from the sheeps chest and then removes One Holes' still beating heart, which I think is covered under ALS intervention guidelines. The bejeweled chalice you keep in your EMS bags for times such as these is used to catch the blood draining from the sheeps heart. You place the cup to your patients lips and he drinks from it knowing that he is recieving the 'spirit' of OneHole who will be waiting behind the curtain of death to lead him into green fields full of flowers and bunnies. You put the patient in the ambulance and wish him the best and then you gather your things from the scene. You are saddened by the loss of your beloved sheep, OneHole, but happy that you could make some fools last moments on earth mean something. Besides, you are wearing your Fire Department uniform, the windows on your van have been freshly spray painted black and the elementry school lets out in 10 minutes.
    The Jesus freaks are right. Life Is Good.

Forum Member

Just read through this whole thing and all I can think of is that we're all going to find out sooner or later whether or not there is a big answer out there somewhere. I'm also intrigued by this Jamaican and the doobies. How many we talking here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh, I thought we were talking about comforting a dying patient with religious and/or philosophical convictions other than your own. Did I miss something?

At some point you just have to show some decency and compassion for your fellow man.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

I'm also intrigued by this Jamaican and the doobies. How many we talking here?
    Dude, we save you one. Drop by the statio after you get off work. We'll finish it off before the pizzias arrive.

Forum Member

Cellblock, what's your problem??? I understand and respect the fact that you don't believe in God or the practices that go along with said belief, however, the scenario you described borders more on Satanism than Christianity and HOW exactly does it pertain to the scenario that CR posed?? No one ever mentioned setting up an altar. All that was mentioned was helping someone pass from this life with comfort.

Again, as with the dagger through the bible I find your rhetoric and verbal spew disgusting and offensive. Perhaps you should learn a little respect for others who post here.

edited for misspelled word, couldn't find correct spelling so I changed it
    Last edited by PFire23; 12-28-2003 at 06:40 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

No one ever mentioned setting up an altar. All that was mentioned was helping someone pass from this life with comfort.
    But if that's what it took,

Thread Information