Forum Member

Default Praising Allah, Man Rams Providence Fire Station

BY AMANDA MILKOVITS
    Journal Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE -- A Providence man, screaming references to Allah, smashed his car into the new downtown fire station just before midnight on Sunday -- narrowly missing a firefighter inside.

Omar Calderon, 21, was seen spinning the tires of his Chevrolet Cavalier before speeding right toward the bay doors of the fire station on Washington Street, the police said.

Fire Lt. Rick Blais, who was inside the bay of Engine 3, saw the Chevrolet flying toward him and he ran as the car smashed into the glass doors, the police said.

"Praise the Lord! Praise Allah!," Calderon screamed, as he got out of the car and tried to run off, the police said. He allegedly fought with several police officers until he was subdued with pepper spray.

The police said they do not know why Calderon allegedly drove into the fire station.

The police have described Calderon as emotionally disturbed, and said drugs and alcohol aren't believed to be involved. Calderon was arrested nearly two years ago after he chased his brother with a hunting knife and stabbed holes in the walls of their apartment.

No weapons were found in Calderon's car. However, with the heightened antiterrorism alert status, the police notified the FBI, who are working in conjunction with the police on the case.

Calderon was arraigned yesterday for felony assault, two counts of simple assault on a police officer, one count of resisting arrest, and malicious damage, as well as two traffic summonses. He was issued bail and ordered to undergo psychological tests, the police said.

I know Lt. Blais personally, and was shocked when I read the article. Thank God he was able to get out of the way- he's got a wife and two young children at home. He's been through far too much in 19 years on the job to get taken out walking through his own station by a cookoo clock like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

And these are the people that a certain group in this Country wants us to be "tolerant" of?

Give me a break! Maybe this guy was a fruitcake that wanted to make some sort of Statement, but it goes to show just how Islam is looked at in a negative light nowadays more than ever. It seems as though when people do something completely moronic (like the kid in Florida who flew the plane into the High Rise) they claim Allah is their god or that they are emulating Osama Bin Laden.

Sorry, it will take alot to ever convince me that Islam is a religion of total peace and to be tolerant of its followers.

Forum Member

Sorry, it will take alot to ever convince me that Islam is a religion of total peace and to be tolerant of its followers.
    Let's see...here's a short list for you to mull over. You ARE a Christian, right?
    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

MembersZone Subscriber

There is only one all powerful being that I recognize and it's name is GOD. I am rather fond of his son, our savior, Jesus Christ, too.
    The rest can sit in their sand furniture and wish in one hand and s**t in the other.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

If there is a lesson to be taken from this, it is twofold:

1. Fire stations are soft targets
    2. It is very easy to use a vehicle bomb against a soft target

Be vigilant and be safe

Default Amen Chief Reason

My sentiments exactly Chief. We are so blessed to be Christians and Americans. I praise God for giving us Jesus Christ the greatest gift ever. Merry Christmas and may 2004 be blessed with great happenings
    IACOJ (ret)

I wonder had the guys at the station unloaded on this guy, would they be charged with assualt... We had a drunk driver run through our work site on nite on a MVA, 5 FF's on scene.. 5 counts of assualt with a deadly weapon... I personally feel this guy,mental or not, needs to go to jail for a long time... The next time it might be like The Murrow Building in OK City... May God bless each and everyone of you this holiday season.... Remember JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

Early Adopter

This incident has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with crazy people. Crazy people fly planes into buildings. It also seems that they drive cars into fire stations.

As a Christian, I hope that people don't judge me based on the actions of wackos that kill in the name of my God. I think I owe the same to people with religious beliefs that differ from my own.

Forum Member

Shoot him. Let him meet Allah in person.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

And these are the people that a certain group in this Country wants us to be "tolerant" of?
    Send him back to whatever sand hole this loser came from.!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

How many department's are putting any effort at all into hardening their firehouse as a potential terrorist target? That is the point, not getting mad at an entire ethnic group or religion because of one idiot.

MembersZone Subscriber

I sure as hell don't see many Christians or Jews in this day and age driving through Firehouse, Ramming Jetliners into Buildings, Blowing up buses and Night Clubs or Bombing UN Compounds in the name of OUR God!

That is the point, not getting mad at an entire ethnic group or religion because of one idiot.

MembersZone Subscriber

George raises a valid point. I was too stuck on the fact that this guy did it in the name of Allah to look at the obvious.
    For the smaller volunteer departments out there who do not man their stations 24/7, you should at the very least, leave a light on in your station, make sure all of the doors are locked, put coverings over the windows if you don't already and you might even park a few cars there nearby to give the appearance that someone is there.
    Don't make it easy for thieves or terrorists.
    A security bulletin that was circulating at work last week was that Ebay reported that someone had purchased $32,000 worth of UPS uniforms; NOT UPS employees.
    If your turnout gear is kept at the station, Mohammed has his disguise!
    Take extra precautions. It doesn't take that much time.
    Be safe above all else.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

If your turnout gear is kept at the station, Mohammed has his disguise!
    He also has a vehicle that very few people would question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Apparently an idiot who does not full understand the concept of a "car bomb". Car that is a bomb (any Chevy Cavalier) is not the same.

Nozzle you got a point or just have diarrhea? If you think you can mount an intelligent defense of the islamists wackos of the world, get on with it.
    Last edited by neiowa; 12-26-2003 at 12:32 PM.

Forum Member

Nozzle you got a point or just have diarrhea? I you think you can mount an intelligent defense of the islamists wackos of the world, get on with it.
    Sure. My point is that, as an atheist, I get a lot of laughs out of one set of religious whackos beating up on another set of religious whackos. But, I refuse to stand by while arrogant Christians on this forum beat up on another religion for no reason. The guy does not represent Islam as a whole, just as the door-to-door kooks and clinic bombers do not represent Christianity as a whole.
    The "diarrhea" comment was real classy. Grow up.

MembersZone Subscriber

NeIowa, for the most part, he just has diarrhea.

My point is that, as an atheist, I get a lot of laughs out of one set of religious whackos beating up on another set of religious whackos.
    Well, you being an athiest sure is a revelation.

My Grandmother always told me, that Athiests were the slacker kids who were too lazy to get up for Church on Sunday Mornings or were too dense to remember prayers.

There is no intelligent defense of islamic extremists or Christian Extremists. However the instances of Christian Extremism in Modern Day Society are almost non-existant. Besides you occasional Abortion Clinic Bomber, there really aren't too many domestic terrorists using God as their claim to activism. If there are, they aren't mainstream or making too many news reports. Timothy McVeigh was not a Christian Extremist,He was an Ant-government Zealot. More like your Garden Variety Militia Member commonly found in the Northwestern States.

However Islamic extremists are alive and well and making news everyday. I have a Buddy,who is on an exchange program through his Synagogue, working as a Paramedic for the Madgen David Adom Ambulance Service in Israel right now. He called me not too long ago to tell me how things were over there. He said he is scared for his life everyday and has missed several attempts to hijack his unit and has been spit on, cursed and assualted by patients, all because he is Jewish. He is a very tolerant person and would help a Jew or a Palestinian without bias, but because he is a Jew, he and his fellow Countrymen are targeted by ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS EVERYDAY.

In this country, Islamic Extremism has become a large problem and needs to be eradicated, along with the ACLU and others in this country who defend it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by neiowa
    Apparently an idiot who does not full understand the concept of a "car bomb". Car that is a bomb (and Chevy Cavalier) is not the same.
    I hope you are not directing that at me.

The only difference between that Chevy Cavalier and a car bomb was the bomb. The point is that it shows the vulnerability that a soft target has to a vehicle borne bomb attack. I never said that it was a vehicle bomb.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Grandmother always told me, that Athiests were the slacker kids who were too lazy to get up for Church on Sunday Mornings or were too dense to remember prayers.
    Then your Grnadmother was as big of a fool as you are.

I am a Born-again Christian. But you are totally intellectually dishonest by downplaying the number of Christian fundamentalist whackos out there. Do the names Jim Jones and David Koresh do anything for you? Many of the cults that are active today are "Christian" organizations.

I feel sorry that Noz has the belief system that he does. But he is entitled to have it and is entitled not to be harrassed by idiots like you.

MembersZone Subscriber

More Vile Name calling from the Super Cop!

First, you insult my dead Grandmother and then you call me an idiot? What kind of Flat-foot are you? I guess if I go speeding through Flanders NJ, I would get some form of Corporal Punishment from George the Traffic Cop?

Stop Targeting me, that is Profiling. Tons of people have expressed their Dismay with Noz's views and you continually bash my dismay. Are you using a taxpayer funded computer for this crap?

You are a sad man George Wendt, much like your namesake character on cheers (Norm.) Never Happy, Never Satisfied and always trying to let people know you are right. I am sorry that I see through your Bulls--t.

I can see you now, feverishly typing away, sweat flying of your brow as you respond to me. It makes me laugh. Be careful George, you might blow a vein. And god-forbid someone finds out your blood type is actually "Glazed with a few Sprinkles."

Have a Nice Day D-Head.

P.S. And aren't you supposed to be Ignoring me? I guess you didn't make the cut for Duffy-boys Club......

Forum Member

Wow tiller!

I think george and CR made a good point about fd's being soft targets. And the turnout gear thing has me thinking now.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for my rant. But I am sick of this guy and his B.S.

And yes, I agree with their observations as well and it very well could have been left at that. However thNozzleman had to chime in with the whole thing about me slamming people who want to destroy me and my family simply for being Christian and American.

Forum Member

George writes:

“How many department's are putting any effort at all into hardening their firehouse as a potential terrorist target?”

That we have to think about hardening fire departments is very sad. Police buildings have been doing this for some time of course and I must say that our local station is stark and uninviting. All that double thick glass and brick makes for a spooky environment that I don’t like going into; there are very few visitors. Must the local fire house become the same way? That would be very sad and would certainly change the “your local fire house” atmosphere that the fire department historically has fostered.

As I write this it occurs to me that maybe the big city departments have already closed the open door policy of there houses for security reasons but I come from a small, suburban department that really only worries about making sure the doors are closed and locked when we’re not there.

I guess this is what terrorism is meant to do, make you afraid of opening your doors.

Bill.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TillerMan25
    More Vile Name calling from the Super Cop!

First, you insult my dead Grandmother and then you call me an idiot? What kind of Flat-foot are you? I guess if I go speeding through Flanders NJ, I would get some form of Corporal Punishment from George the Traffic Cop?

Stop Targeting me, that is Profiling. Tons of people have expressed their Dismay with Noz's views and you continually bash my dismay. Are you using a taxpayer funded computer for this crap?

You are a sad man George Wendt, much like your namesake character on cheers (Norm.) Never Happy, Never Satisfied and always trying to let people know you are right. I am sorry that I see through your Bulls--t.

I can see you now, feverishly typing away, sweat flying of your brow as you respond to me. It makes me laugh. Be careful George, you might blow a vein. And god-forbid someone finds out your blood type is actually "Glazed with a few Sprinkles."

Have a Nice Day D-Head.

P.S. And aren't you supposed to be Ignoring me? I guess you didn't make the cut for Duffy-boys Club......
    No sweat. Just feeling sorry for the grumpy old man. At least my insults were peppered with an intelligent argument. Thank you for pointing that out about ignoring you. I'll take care of that for the future.

BTW: I am the happiest guy you would ever meet. I am also completely ssatisfied with my life. Jesus will do that to a guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I will be a good person here and apologize for insinuating that you bleed Donut Icing. ( I know not all cops eat donuts)

Yes, I fly off the handle when challenged and can say things in a haste. But I try to present my side of a debate with facts or sources of my claims and some cohesion.

Thread Information