MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glenview, IL firefighters told to take down decorations!

From Glenview, IL:
    The Glenview firefighters were told to take down their Christmas decorations, even though they were indoors in the firefighters’ main living quarters. The decorations of lights, a Christmas tree and a Santa Claus were found to be offensive by some residents. Apparently, they could be seen from the street!
    A spokesperson for the village of Glenview said that they had received calls from residents who were upset with what they perceived as Christmas or “Christian” decorations at the fire station.
    Earlier this year, the firefighters had decorated the outside of the station, but again, a resident complained to Glenview officials that the decorations violated the separation of church and state doctrine and the decorations were taken down.

I have to wonder if the village of Glenview bothered to consult legal counsel on this. The fact that they were INDOOR decorations would lead me to believe that Glenview is populated with peeping toms!
    This is a helluva commentary on the state of our society when one can dictate how another celebrates the birth of their Lord and Savior.
    Tis the season!
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 12-23-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default pardon my languge....

Screw the neighbors!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If these 'do-gooder, PC, anti-religion, anti-worship-your-own-God' fanatics expect the Firehouse to take down their decorations; then might I suggest that City/Town hall, the Courthouse, the 7-11 on the corner and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Public remove theirs as well. Silly????? You bet your butt it is........ and so is the fact that some person whined and got their way. Simple solution...... you don't like the pretty colored lights SHUT YOUR DAMN BLINDS/CURTAINS..... DON'T LOOK .......... ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH stupid people make me crazy
    Last edited by PFire23; 12-23-2003 at 09:31 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

That's it!!! I'm showing up to class on CHRISTmas so I don't offend anyone Goddamn PC people **** me off!!!!!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

Default Only in America

Hard to believe all the crap that happens now days. I wonder what would happen if you accidently got one of them "mutts" on your christmas card list. Things like this are what makes me thankful to live in a rural area where we still know who most of our neighbors are! GOD BLESS AMERICA and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

If you are affended by any of the above statements...Don't Read it
    I refuse to be politicaly correct in my posts!
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OK like WHATFRICKINGEVER!!!!

Listen ... I'm short, ok!!! I'm not fckingverticallyfcking challenged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To tell you the truth, I'm WAY MORE offended by the PC term.

Oooooopssssss sorry CR, for all the exclamation marks

It just ****es me off is all. It all started with "them" fckingaround with Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney Land. My fav ride and they ruined it, saying it was bad that some pirate was chasing the waitress carrying the tray full of drinks. IDIOTS!!! Does this mean we have to re-write history to take out all the un-politically correct things that have been done? Give me a break!!!

I'd give my eyeteeth to find out what religion and/or ethnic background these people are that complained. Fricking busybodies!

*rant off*

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS IF THAT'S YOUR THING!

grrrrr

Oh yeah, the peeping tom thing doesn't really work, as the article said "it can be seen from the street". Heyyyyyyyyyyy if they closed (or made some) blinds, would THAT solve the problem? I really don't understand why the fire department was the only target. Are there other decorations put up around the town?

These people on the council in this particular town need their heads examined. In Jasper we have a lot of different nationalities that have lived there as long or longer than I have and you don't here them bitching and complaining about the "candles" or "stars" that are put up around town on the light posts. Or all the hotels that decorate their properties, not just for Christmas, but keep them up for Jasper in January, a yearly festival.

What a crock of crap

ok now rant off

Merry Christmas one and all!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I bet the guy on squirty end of the hose or a cartoon beer spokesman will come in here and try to defend this. Dunno just got that gut feeling.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Im comeing are you ready? "Happy birthday to me,happy birthday to me"
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-24-2003 at 01:10 AM.

Forum Member

From Glenview, IL: The Glenview firefighters were told to take down their Christmas decorations, even though they were indoors in the firefighters’ main living quarters. The decorations of lights, a Christmas tree and a Santa Claus were found to be offensive by some residents. Apparently, they could be seen from the street!
    A spokesperson for the village of Glenview said that they had received calls from residents who were upset with what they perceived as Christmas or “Christian” decorations at the fire station.
    Earlier this year, the firefighters had decorated the outside of the station, but again, a resident complained to Glenview officials that the decorations violated the separation of church and state doctrine and the decorations were taken down.
    Thats terrible!

Forum Member

I think the fd should offer there neighbors an ice cream cone.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just another assault on Christmas and Christianity. Why does this kind of S--t even Surprise people anymore? But I can God-amn guarantee you that if some School or Public building decided to take down a Crescent Flag (Islam) or a Freakin Kwanzaa (Made up Holiday, carries no real meaning and was created by a Black Racist) Decoration, there would be rioting and looting in the streets and people would be screaming that there rights were being violated.

Maybe Christians need to stop being so reserved and loot a few stores and riot to prove ur point that we (Calgary too Shari!) won't be pushed around by the Minority of this Nation!

But, then again most God-Fearing Christians I know work very hard for what they have and don't rely on activism and the government to get a free ride....(I am moving to Alberta!)

STM4710, Excellent Pictures....!

In the Words of R. Lee Ermey and 3rd Platoon from "Full Metal Jacket,"

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday DEAR JESUS! Happy Birthday to YOU! "

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down The "Neighbors" Need A Christmas Present

These poor people need a hobby. Send out some names/addresses so we can put them on mailing lists for free publications. I've been looking for a candidate to become the World's Champion, Record Setting, Junk Mail and Spam Recepient...
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You have got to be $hi+ing me. Well I hope they don't come to either one of my stations. Because they would REALLY be offended. Bad thing is the Twp Trustees bought the decorations and helped put the stuff up. They would be really offended then if I showed up with my santa hat on right??

The heck with those people...you can't make everyone happy all the time.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb This Just In.............

Can Someone post Email Addresses for the village idiots..... Er,... Ah... Village Mayor, Council, or whatever those spineless clowns are called? I would like to tell them what I think. Thanks. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep in mind, everyone of the people complaining would be equally up in arms if they had to go to work on Christmas...Like firefighters do.

Forum Member

Default Ask and Yee Shall Receive

Excelent idea HW!
    Here are some addys for city officials I found.
    President Larry Carlson LarryVillage@aol.com
    Trustee Kerry Cummings cummingsclan@ameritech.net
    Trustee Mary Beth Denefe mbdenefetrustee@aol.com
    Trustee Michael Guinane guinaneml@aol.com
    Trustee Jeffrey M. Lerner jle5715104@aol.com
    Trustee James Patterson jimpattersonjr@pattersoncompany.com
    Trustee Kimball Woodrow trusteewoodrow@aol.com

Forum Member

While searching for the town "clowns" addresses I came across this from a 10/07/2003 board meeting. Guess what the board decided to purchase! $25,000 of decorations.

[B]Trustee Cummings felt we made a substantial investment here and the developer should contribute.
    Trustee Guinane said this developer received $78 million and the least he can do is put up the Holiday
    decorations this year or contribute half the cost on a yearly basis.[B] He is profiting from the sales, and
    so are we, but where do we draw the line? We can pave a lot of roads for $50,000.
    Trustee Woodrow moved that the Village pay up to $25,000 for lights and look to Oliver McMillan to
    pick up the balance. If he refuses, we'll do whatever we can with $25,000.

Trustee Lerner requested clarification and suggested we make an offer to pay $25,000 and either the
    Center and/or its tenants can decide how to handle the remainder Because of this leasing situation, it
    may or not be within his purview and he may not be able to do it.

Trustee Cummings seconded Trustee Woodrow's motion to adopt an Ordinance in accordance with
    suggestions made by the Trustees. Vote follows:

On Roll Call: 5 AYES, Trustees Woodrow, Denefe, Cummings, Lerner, Guinane
    1 NAY, Trustee Patterson - Motion has passed.

APPROVED Page 12 of 14. October 7, 2003
    Last edited by 80FIRE; 12-24-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Member

Default Silliness

Everyone that was on T.V. up in Glenview pretty much had the same thing to say..That this whole issue is silly and an embarrassment. It's a nice town and the VAST MAJORITY of people SUPPORT SANTA. The decorations purchased were of the "seasons greetings" variety.

Forum Member

This is just another assault on Christmas and Christianity. Why does this kind of S--t even Surprise people anymore? But I can God-amn guarantee you that if some School or Public building..
    Wow...talk about an assault on Christianity.
    (Made up Holiday, carries no real meaning and was created by a Black Racist)
    Gee, I almost thought you were talking about Christmas, until I noticed it read BLACK racist. Christmas is just as made up, so don't even go there.
    This is just another assault on Christmas and Christianity.
    Now, what the heck do decorations of lights, a Christmas tree and a Santa Claus (from the original post) have to do with Christianity?
    ...there would be rioting and looting in the streets and people would be screaming that there rights were being violated.
    Now, when's the last time anyone rioted and looted in the streets over something like this??
    Maybe Christians need to stop being so reserved and loot a few stores and riot to prove ur point that we (Calgary too Shari!) won't be pushed around by the Minority of this Nation!
    You need anger management.
    I bet the guy on squirty end of the hose or a cartoon beer spokesman will come in here and try to defend this. Dunno just got that gut feeling.
    I'm not defending anything. I don't know what really happened in that town. If they think what they did is the best thing for the community, then that's their decision. It does not affect the right of people to worship as they see fit, in the least. Fire stations are public buildings, and are subject to any rules made by local policymakers. That's just the way it is. All this talk about assaulting Christianity is nonsense. Keep your faith at home and in your houses of worship, where it belongs. "Christmas" was pagan holiday for many, many years before the church used it as an excuse to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Several other "man-gods" also were born on on December 25, such as Mithra. Nearly all of the traditions we celebrate during the holidays have absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. The holiday didn't even exist as we know it today, until the last 100 years or so. The real history of the origins of Christmas are well known, so there's no disputing what I've posted. Heck, it was once even considered sinful to celebrate during this time by Protestants in this country. You weren't even allowed to smile or laugh. So, just think of this before you talk about "Christmas" being assaulted by the secular world. Jesus is NOT the reason for the season.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya know,

I'm just waiting for the day when someone compalains that they find the flag flying in front of the station "offensive."

Just a thought.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

I'm just waiting for the day when someone compalains that they find the flag flying in front of the station "offensive."
    There's no legal basis for this type of argument. Unless, of course, you want to start flying a religious flag.

Forum Member

You know nozzleman (athiests in general), you remind me so much of Bill Lumberg in Office Space or Frank Heart in 9 to 5. You wont let anyone express there religions at work or show any flair for there holiday. Just work as normal people,just work as normal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly, they want everyone to be robots. No personality, No expression, just sit on your hands.

It a shame that these people are a physical minority but continue to throw their garbage on the Majority.

Forum Member

I also suppose nozzleman that you dont support the Marines( of fd,pd's) involvment in Toys for Tots. How dare a goverment organization bring HOPE and a SMILE to little boys and girls on CHRISTMAS---those basterds!!

Forum Member

Do you know that Christmas is NOT (not only) a Christian festivity?
    Catholic church stated, many centuries ago, to set the festivity of the birth of Jesus (unknown) on 25 december to overlap other old festivities considered as "pagan", and very popular and loved all over europe, and not only europe. We (Italy) have again the ancient document that explicity relate this. The real festivity is the end of the year, and the beginning of a new one, and precisely the end of the year period when day are shorter and begin to grow. Is the celebration of re-birth of the sun, the promise of the end of winter and the anticipation of spring.

So... be happy in the way you like, and let other to be happy.

Have a nice holiday

ciao

Thread Information