Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Smile funny run last night

Dwelling fire.
    really just an "odor of burning" on the ticket.
    roll up on the engine.. there is definitally some sort of burning smell. homeowner says his wife turned the heater on right before they went to bed. so we go down to check the heater, hot water pump, dryer etc. guy from the truck walks in.. "it smells like.. like.. burnt meat"
    homeowner "well.. our hampster got out of its cage this morning... and we havent seen it all day"
    the hampster had gotten down the vent in an opening. and when she kicked the heat on...
    I had to leave the room to contain my laughter.. thought some of u might get a kick out of that.

So, how do you explain to the little kid where their cherished pet is? And I would love to hear how command reported this to dispatch. "Have all units return to service, burning odor caused by a flaming hampster."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Unhappy Ummm...

I dont mean to be really PC, but I dont see
    the humor in someone's pet getting fried in
    the home heater.

Hope they didnt hear you laughing to hard.
    Remember, we (or atleast me) are here to
    help people, not laugh at their problems.
    (esspecially around the holidays)

Well, obviously you don't laugh when your there. Everyone has been to a call where something makes you chuckle and you have to hold it until you leave.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I wouldnot laugh when there...but would have to get a chuckle out of it when back at station.. As a pet owner I can concur that there is no humor in losing a pet...but when someone was laughing at thi, i am sure they meant no disrepect to the homeowner or the passing of the pet. They merely were getting a chuckle out of the surrounding circumstances and how the FD got involved.

The shift before me ran a call (Xmas Eve) for shortness of breath. Seems the lady who has CHF and COPD was having a bit of difficulty breathing. They asked for list of meds which she said she kept in her purse. Her husband responds by getting the purse to supply the meds and the first thing he pulls out is a pack of cigarettes! Now keep in mind that these smokes were found in the pocketbook of a 70 y/o woman who had her husband convinced she had quit smoking "years ago."
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

WHHOOOPS on the smokes ..........LOL ......yes we have all had a call like that ........and I am sure that no one would purposefully laugh about it there ...........but it is kinda funny about how you got there...
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Perception is a big part..........

How OTHERS see you while "doing your job" is what I watch out for. A nearby station ran an Ambulance call for a sick person, and one of the guys thought that a bunch of toys scattered on the porch and sidewalk could be a problem. He picked up the toys and moved them out of the way, and, in doing so, flipped a Frisbee off to the side yard. Someone saw that and called the Chief to complain that firefighters were playing Frisbee while a lady was dying. Big stink for a day, the facts came out and that was the end of it. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information