Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question power point programs

I was asked to do a fire extinguisher program for an area personal care home I was woundering if any one had any powerpoint formatted programs concerning fire extinguisher useage, safety, and rating, or and ideas to help me with this program. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You are going to find that it is far easier to teach from a program that you have developed than a canned program written for a generic instructor and a generic audience.

Try these suggestions:

1. The NFPA Fire Protection Handbook has all the info you need to put together the instruction part.

2. Use a digital camera to capture images of another guy in your FD using the extinguishers and illustrating the points in the instruction.

3. PP is perhaps the most user friendly program in the Microsoft Office Suite. Start simple. Add all of your info onto the slides before you add layouts and colors. Then add your pictures in appropriate places. After the info is all in, scroll throught the pre-formatted layouts and format your presentation.

This project can be done in one-day if you are even slightly proficient in PP. If you have any problems, pm me.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

There is some basic on-line training and such located here.

http://www.fireextinguisher.com/

Good for content ideas anyway.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

PowerPoint is great and all... But I don't think you should rely on it. There are many topics that are presented well using slide shows and such. However, most can be better presented using personal knowledge & experience in addition to a hands-on demonstration.

I keep my extinguisher presentations short and sweet. We drive home the P.A.S.S. (point, aim, squeeze, sweep) concept. We quickly cover the types of extinguishers used. We reinforce that if you're using an extinguisher, someone should be calling the FD. We drive home the fact that it's time to get out when you've emptied your second extinguisher and the fire's not out. Then, in most presentations, we finish with a hands-on session. Two things happen when your students use the extinguishers for real -- you know they learned what to do and they feel more confident that they'll be able to act properly.

In the end, we teach and they learn and there's not a single PP slide involved.

Default Power Point

I have one for extiguishers that I used, along with hands on, for a class I gave to my Air Guard unit. Give me your e-mail and I'll try and send it to you.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

There is some basic on-line training and such located here.
    The local librarys hold short computer classes all the time. There's Intro to Computers, Using Email, Web browsing Basics, Etc. I took a 2 night Webpage design class that was wonderful. I plan on attending the Powerpoint class soon. And you can't beat the price. FREE.

E-mail sent. Hope it works for you.

Thread Information