HOGANSBURG, N.Y. (AP) - By the time a dozen firefighters put out
the blaze at a cigarette manufacturing plant, they were covered in
smoke.
"When they came out, they were blacker than the ace of
spades," said Fire Chief Frank Lacaranza.
Firefighters were called to the Native Trading Post warehouse on
Christmas Eve after a night security guard noticed smoke billowing
out of the building.
Lacaranza said it appeared the fire started in the wiring of one
of the machines used to make cigarettes. The fire broke out
sometime after the plant closed for the day Wednesday, Lacaranza
said.
"It was smoldering in there for a while, and when we got there
it was pretty intense," he said.
The plant was full of products used to make cigarettes including
tobacco, filters, paper and cardboard boxes.
It took firefighters about three hours to extinguish the blaze
that started on the first floor of the warehouse.
"We were able to contain it there, but the rest of the place
suffered extensive heat and smoke damage," Lacaranza told the
Plattsburgh Press-Republican

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)