Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default How much Length is added by a crewcab?

My vollie dept is spec'ing out a new pumper to be used as a Class A rescue pumper. Some of the FFs would like to see a crewcab instead of a standard. We are pretty low-budget so we use commercial chassises. How much length is added to the pumper if a crewcab is used instead of a standard cab?

Also what other benefits are gained by using a crewcab?

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Default we were in the same boat

around 48" - we faced the same delima - we could made a big mistake and bought a 2 door cab with a top mount pump (our purchasing committee was a committe of one, the fire chief). We would have been at the same length with 4 door cab and a side mount pump. The top mount pump is nice, but being able to have 3 guys come out of the rig with air packs on would have been better. Now, we pack up after arriving on scene, which uses up time.

Unless you can't fit the length in your station, get a 4 door cab.

Length in the bay is no problem. Currently we have a 1996 International Standard Cab with a top mount pump. We still have about 12 till the gear lockers. The biggest arguement has been that the increased length will make the apparatus too hard to drive on our tight and narrow streets. I dont think it would be any problem but then again i'm not an officer.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Get the specs on the chassis from your dealer or on line. Look at the turning radius of the standard cab and the crew cab.

We have a 96 Freightliner crew cab top mount. It turns shorter than our 81 GMC standard cab.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Lightbulb Something to think about. . .

Blue,

Your department needs to do some real thinking here. We have a 95 International and the turning radius sucks on it with an overall lenght of 29 ft. The new 4400 & 7400 series trucks (with the 45 degree turning cramp makes the truck 100% better. We also have a 2002 International 7400 and we love it. No comparison in the two trucks

Rayr49 is correct get with your local dealer and have him run turning reports for you guys. Have him run the truck you have now vs. the new truck with a 2 door and 4 door cab and see what you lose! The numbers don't lie! Also get some guys to other departments to see a similar truck that you are looking at in your area.

We have gone to 100% top mount panels and they are very nice to work off. Although I know it's real nice to have a full company of firefighters on the truck "ready to go" when you pull up. Things just work a whole better if you have a plan and you all get there at the same time. One big fire save makes that crew cab worth all the extra work!

If I had to choose between one or the other I'd give up the Top Mount for a Crew Cab. It's a simple decision for me; everyone benefits from the crew cab (safety, comfort, readiness, continuity). Also tell me what percentage of your dept. time is spent riding in the rig verses running the pump from the panel (something to think about).

I don't care what you have to do to get your point across to the department about this. Just do it! Gather the data; educate the department and get the crew cab you will never regret this decision during the next 20 years.

Thanks for listening
    GB

Thread Information