Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Hallandale Fla--Firefighters Rescue Baby From Fire

Tot saved from fire, 2 families left homeless
    A fire on Christmas Eve left two families homeless and sent two people, including an 8-month-old boy, to the hospital.
    BY KEVIN DEUTSCH
    kdeutsch@herald.com

Bernadette Elissaint, 32, rushed two children out of her sister's Hallandale Beach home Wednesday, praying they would escape the fire burning all around them.

She counted frantically as each child ran by her. One, two. That's when Elissaint realized the third child, 8-month-old Nelson Failias, was still inside the burning house.

She screamed for help, then fainted.

A group of four neighbors and one bystander rushed toward the house, wanting to save the baby. The intensity of the fire blew the house's windows out as the neighbors looked for a way inside, witnesses said.

''We wanted to get in, but it was too hot and the smoke was too thick,'' said Maxwell Goulier, 34, who lives nearby. ``We knew the baby was in there, but we couldn't do anything.''

Firefighters from Hallandale Beach Fire-Rescue entered the house, and firefighter Jeff Carson picked up the baby and handed him outside to safety, fire officials said.

Carson, 44, an 11-year veteran of the department, cut his hand searching for the child. He suffered no other injuries.

Describing the smoky darkness inside the house, Carson said, ``I couldn't see anything, but I was convinced from the way the family was acting that there was somebody in there.''

Carson checked the floor beneath a bed in the duplex and couldn't find the baby. Then he checked the bed itself.

``I was taking off one of my gloves, because I couldn't feel anything, and when I did that, I found him. I'm a dad myself, and if he was in there, I had to find him, period.''

Nelson was hospitalized for smoke inhalation. His aunt, who had fainted, also was hospitalized. They were both recovering Wednesday night at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood.

The rescued baby was seen crying, a good indication that his breathing was not seriously obstructed, said Hallandale Beach Fire spokesman Bruce Griswold.

''The woman was baby-sitting these children at the time of the fire,'' Griswold said. ``Luckily, they all made it out.

The two other children -- girls, ages 3 and 6 -- were in the house when the fire started, but managed to escape without injuries, said Elissaint's sister, Jasmine Elissaint.

''I feel bad for them, they lost everything,'' said Jasmine Elissaint, 21.

The fire destroyed the Hallandale Beach duplex at 404 SW Eighth St., leaving two families homeless just as many people were making final preparations for the Christmas holiday.

The fire started shortly before noon in the duplex's front unit, which was totally destroyed. The back unit had less damage, but was not inhabitable.

The cause of the fire was being investigated.

None of the people living in the back unit were injured. It was not clear whether any of them were at home at the time, Griswold said.

The two families stayed at a local hotel Wednesday night with the help of the Red Cross.

The families also will receive holiday gifts to replace any that may have been destroyed. The Red Cross collects donations to help replace items families lose in disasters, said Carole Geiger, spokeswoman for the Broward County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default Second Story

Baby boy saved in smoky fire

By Vicky Agnew
    Staff Writer
    Posted December 25 2003

With flames rolling overhead and smoke so black he couldn't see, the firefighter knew he had precious little time to find the baby boy trapped inside.

When his hand finally touched the boy's tiny body, the infant was motionless and hot. So, Hallandale Beach firefighter Jeff Carson picked him up, yelled to his crew he had the baby and handed him outside to safety.

The 8-month-old baby was one of four children being baby-sat by an adult relative Wednesday inside a duplex at 409 SW Eighth St. in Hallandale when the fire broke out.

The baby sitter, Bernadette Elissaint, 32, and the other children -- girls, ages 1, 3 and 6 -- managed to escape. Elissaint and the infant, identified by a relative as Nelson Filias, were taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood.

At the request of relatives, their conditions were unavailable. But fire officials said both were conscious when they were taken to the hospital.

Firefighters were called to the home about 11:51 a.m. and found flames and smoke coming from all the windows. A Hallandale Beach police officer told them a baby was trapped in a bedroom on the home's east side.

Firefighters quickly broke out the window. Carson dived in and landed on a bed.

"It was very dense; I couldn't see anything," Carson said. "I was trying to find the little guy with my hands. I couldn't feel anything, so I took my glove off and was sweeping around with my hand."

Carson swept the floor beneath the bed and couldn't find the baby.

"I went back over the bed as fast as I could -- there was fire overhead," he said. "Luckily, I found him. He was on the bed against the wall. He was limp, and he was really hot."

At the same time, firefighters fought the flames from outside. At first, they didn't see Carson waving his arms to indicate he'd found the baby.

"I yelled, `I got the kid,' and one of the lieutenants took the boy," he said. His crew yelled for him to get out and continued battling the blaze.

The baby began breathing on his own and was crying when taken for treatment, a sight that made the firefighters happy, Hallandale Beach Assistant Fire Chief Bruce Griswold said.

Ideson Elissaint, a brother of Bernadette Elissaint and the infant's uncle, said Bernadette Elissaint was baby-sitting for another sister. He was visiting the home and arrived just moments before the fire department.

"I tried to go inside, but I couldn't do it because of the smoke," he said.

Carson, 44, an 11-year-veteran of the department, cut his hand searching for the child but was otherwise uninjured. He has children of his own and said he was grateful to be at the scene.

"I think I reacted more like a father than a firefighter. I'm going to do whatever I can to save a child," he said. "It would have driven me crazy if we'd gotten there 20 seconds later and the little guy didn't make it."

Vicky Agnew can be reached at vagnew@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7922.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information