Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Help for an overseas brother!

I am a UK firefighter of 6 years experience & will hopefully be relocating to the states soon. I would love to be able to continue my career but I realise this won't be easy. I don't really know how your system works ( qualified, not qualified etc) or how/if I would be able to transfer my skills. Can anyone help with any info, websites, advice or anything that may be of help. many thanks

It really depends on where you will be living. For the most part, each state sets their own requirements.

For Alabama, the minimum requirements are set by the Alabama Fire College . Some departments require more, but they set the baseline standard.

Any idea where you'll be?
    Last edited by EFD840; 12-30-2003 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks for the reply , looks like Florida but really wherever the opportunities look best

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

I have posted on this subject before. Here is my answer from the previous thread on this matter.
    There are only 3 ways to get a job in the United States if you have citizenship in another country.

1.) One of your parents, son or daughter must be American. We have 2 brothers in my department from Scotland and their father is a former US Navy Sailor.

2.) You must be married to an American. We have 1 fellow from South Wales Fire Brigade that was hired because he was married to an American girl from Alabama.

3.) The person and department in which they wish to apply must prove that there are no other qualified applicants for the position in which they are applying. This must first go to the Labor Department for a waiver and then to INS for approval.

A green card, or permanent residency card, is giving to you only after meeting one of the three above requirements. You have to be able to prove that you will not be a drain on our society (money) and that the employer will provide you with proper employment. Also if you are released from duty within the first 2 years (I think this is the time) they will provide you with means of support. Sounds kind of redundant to me.

This is different than a work visa which only works for a small period of time before you have to re-apply.

Green Card = social security number
    Work Visa= no social security number

Most FD's do require you to be a citizen before they will hire you.

I hope this helps with a little more information for you.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Thank you for your help. My family & I will be coming to the states through a family visa so I will be able to get a green gard however as I understand it this does not mean citizenship? Is there a time scale in between getting a green card & the possibilty of becoming a citizen? Did the brothers from the UK you mention have to re-train & how much? & is there anyway I could contact them?

Here is some info on what you have to do to become a naturalized citizen of the United States.http://www.nrilinks.com/immigration/default.asp
    I would say that you should be prepared to accept quite a few changes, and a good deal of training, no matter where you go in the States.

Many thanks for the advice

contact me direct at gmishoe@sc.rr.com and I will talk to you more in length. If you email me your phone number I could call you as well. I call there so often that I have a 10cents a minute plan so it is beans for me to call you.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Do you work for Berkshire? When I came over I stayed in Wiltshire... specifically in Swindon. Nice country... and pubs!

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

We have a guy on my department that is from the UK. He has been on the department now for 2 years. Great guy, very funny and is a workhorse. Can't remember what part now off hand but it was the same place where they had the riots at that soccer game a couple of years ago. In fact he was there trying to get out of the way.

He is married to an American. Was here for a while on a visa, now just last summer he finally got American citizenship. He had some training in the UK but Wisconsin does not recognize training from another state, much less from another country.

We call him the "limey bastard" Even has LIMEYB on his plates!
    Good Luck. Oh and by the way, prepare yourself to be asked lots if you are from Austrailia. He gets asked that all the time and he gets ****ed.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

We have two brothers that are from Scotland. They are always asked if they are from Ireland... that is BAD NEWS to ask a Scot if he is from Ireland!

I have never seen so many colorful words and phrases until they are asked that! LOL

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dickey
    Oh and by the way, prepare yourself to be asked lots if you are from Austrailia. He gets asked that all the time and he gets ****ed.
    lol - when I was in the US I used to get asked all the time if I was from England
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

When I came across "the Pond" it was a five year wait, or three years if married to a US citizen, I got my citizenship in three years. I am also constantly asked if I am an "Aussie" and told I speak like Crocodile Dundee, cant see any similarity myself. Once I was in a supermarket checkout line and was asked where I was from, When I said I was from England, the girl said "Oh, do they speak English in England" Duh.

Thread Information