Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Higher Education & Tax Deductions

My department has a few volunteers working on BS Fire Science and MS Fire Science degress at universities. Can a volunteer firefighter deduct the cost of tuition? The government says that higher education costs can be deducted if they maintain or improve skills in a current job, but cannot be deducted if they could be used to get a new job. Hmmm....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Higher Education & Tax Deductions

Originally posted by TurkII
    My department has a few volunteers working on BS Fire Science and MS Fire Science degress at universities. Can a volunteer firefighter deduct the cost of tuition? The government says that higher education costs can be deducted if they maintain or improve skills in a current job, but cannot be deducted if they could be used to get a new job. Hmmm....
    Not for nuthin', but do you really think it is a good idea to seek tax advice from people who can't agree on:
    1. Blue lights
    2. paid vs. volly
    3. fog vs. straight
    4. God/no God
    5. Bush/Dean
    6. Quints-suck or not suck

Anyway, I personally deducted the cost of finishing my BS up. I used two reasons:
    1. It clearly enhanced the skills I used in my current position (full-time fire investigator)
    2. I had no plans of getting a new job, or at least a job that was not that of a fire investigator.

You also have to understand that the Fire Science degree in and of itself, does not automatically qualify you for a job. Being a volunteer fire fighter is not a job. Therefore, it will probably be viewed as being prepared for a new job.I don't think that the intent of the regulation is to prevent someone from educating themselves for a promotion in their current position.

For example. If an EMT was attending Nursing school, the education would obviously enahnce their job skills. But it also obviously was preparing them for a new job. Probably not deductible.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-01-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Posted by George Wendt...

Not for nuthin', but do you really think it is a good idea to seek tax advice from people who can't agree on:
    1. Blue lights
    2. paid vs. volly
    3. fog vs. straight
    4. God/no God
    5. Bush/Dean
    6. Quints-suck or not suck
    George...you forgot ...

Leather or "Tactical Tupperware!"

Turk...call your tax preparer..he/she will know what is deductible!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information