Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ohio brings DUI plates into effect!

I believe this could be a problem for the public service departments due to the increased visability of the offenders. What are your oppinions on this? How does this help and hurt the local community, the state, and/or the person being tagged? Do they have name tags for local sex offenders/pedifiles? We know there in the town but we don't know what they look like, we just know there around. I think were bringing these people into harm by making them marked men and women. What the state should do is take them off the street all together. Give them some time to think about what they did in a 12X12 instead of sending them out to the wolves.

Your thought's????
    "You come into this world with nothing and you leave this world with nothing. Play with all the toys you can while your here."

First of all this is nothing new. Those plates were first produced in the late 1960's or early 1970's I believe. It's just that few Ohio Judges imposed those as part of a persons punishment.

Secondly as a former Ohio Police Officer and as a citizen, I think its great. I think that the public has a right to know if the person in front of them may be a danger because they are to STUPID to know that they shouldn't drink and drive.

As for dog tags for sex offenders....nope not noticable a enough....tattooed to their forehead and a large sigh in the front yard of their house.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

As for the tattoo's, I'm at the voting booth ahead of ya.

The knowledge of a "STUPID" driver ahead of you is just the tip of the iceburg. Aren't these people going to be shopping, eating out with family, there family driving the same car? There incident in the 'John Q' eye puts them at more risk for vandilism, family endangerment, and profiling. (Which I know is the whole reason they issue them in the first place.) Why should we put innocent lives at risk for the mistake of an idiot who can't make rational decisions?
    "You come into this world with nothing and you leave this world with nothing. Play with all the toys you can while your here."

When I was an officer...their was no need to Profile them using the plates. I knew every habitual offender by sight and every car the owned/drove. I pulled over at least 5 people just due to I knew that they had no drivers privlages.All I had to do is wait for them to violate a traffic law.

As for vandalism.....they should never put themselves in that postion to need "special" plates in the first place. The problem with society is that we have become to "touchy-feely" and politically correct. We have gotten to the point that we worry to much about the criminals feelings and what type of public ridicule that they may get so we can't punish them. They need to be out their working on chain-gangs with signs saying "I risked others lives by Driving Drunk" I think that those people need to suffer as much public humiliation as needed to keep them from doing it again...and if that doesn't work throw them into jail and throw away the key. Because obviously they can't learn from their mistakes. I think that we need to learn some things from other countries in how we approach criminals. Look at Singapore...I bet alot of people cried for that US kid who got Caned for vandalizing cars, but I bet he never did that again. Its time that we get tough on crime before the "Tree-huggers" let them take over.

Joe Apario for Attorney General!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

IAFF Local 3900

Forum Member

ff7134 wrote: "As for vandalism.....they should never put themselves in that postion to need "special" plates in the first place. The problem with society is that we have become to "touchy-feely" and politically correct. We have gotten to the point that we worry to much about the criminals feelings and what type of public ridicule that they may get so we can't punish them. They need to be out their working on chain-gangs with signs saying "I risked others lives by Driving Drunk" I think that those people need to suffer as much public humiliation as needed to keep them from doing it again...and if that doesn't work throw them into jail and throw away the key. Because obviously they can't learn from their mistakes. I think that we need to learn some things from other countries in how we approach criminals. Look at Singapore...I bet alot of people cried for that US kid who got Caned for vandalizing cars, but I bet he never did that again. Its time that we get tough on crime before the "Tree-huggers" let them take over."

AMEN, BROTHER!! You said it before I could! The only thing I can add is that when these "victims of society" are working in their chain gang anyone who's ever been injured or had a family member injured or killed by a drunk driver should be allowed to stop and wail on them with a baseball bat!

Nobody has to worry about those tags for very long, though. I think there'll be some ambulance-chaser somewhere who will whine to a sympathetic judge about how humiliating it is for these poor souls to have to go around being singled out like that!

And in a somewhat related note - why is it that when someone is caught driving with a suspended license, the punishment is to suspend the license for a longer time? They've already proven they'll drive in spite of not having a license!!
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Ed,

I never got that either. Just throw their sorry but back in jail where they belong.

I was very happy to see the other day we had a juvenile in the station doing some community service. It was funny, after he washed and waxed the Ladder (to our specs) swept,mopped and waxed the bay floors. then dusted and vaccummed the station....he said he was never going to get in trouble again if they was going to send him back to the station to do his community service. I told him he was lucky we were done with hose test...theirs always plenty of hose to roll .

IAFF Local 3900

Forum Member

Default personal feelings

Personally, I'd like to see DUI / DWI offenders put in jail. However, if the judges don't put them in jail, I don't see anything wrong with 'marking' their vehicle with a tag that kinda says, 'hey, I'm a drunk.'

Forum Member

Default A good idea but....

Geauga County Ohio has been using the orange and red plates for several years.

I work as a tow truck dispatcher and when DUI offenders pick up their cars from impound, they laugh and joke about "earning" their "party plates". It seems that some view them as a medal or badge of honor.

It's sad, some will never get it.......but if the plates deter even one, that's one less out there.

Thread Information