Forum Member

Default Passenger airbag disable switch??

Most any halfway decent car now adays comes standard with a passenger side airbag. Often, these vehicles have a special key switch to disable this airbag when you have a small child or equipment in the passenger seat.

So, we always talk and teach about the dangers of airbags deploying while we're working on/in the car. Has anyone ever taken the key and turned off the passenger airbag with the provided switch while working on the passenger side of the car? My own vehicle has this feature and I never even thought of or heard of this concept in a rescue situation until about 5 minutes ago (reading another thread, it occured to me).

If you have done this, do you trust it. If not, why? It would seem to me like a "wow, thats pretty simple and can save you ***" move assuming it is a reliable disable method. The way I see, there is no other real disable function so it can't hurt.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

This feature justs interrupts electrically the passenger airbag from the control module.It does not render the airbag any safer than unhooking the yellow cable connector would to the drivers side air bag.As long as the bag has an active(unfired)inflation module(squib)it's still as dangerous as it can be.Have I ever seen a "unhooked"module go off?Not yet but I still have the same respect for these devices as I do a piece of "blast ready"blasting agent.Only "safe"when not there or detonated.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

NMFIRE I do teach this method here in Missouri. I believe that disarming the electrical discharging section to the module does give us the rescuer another form of added saftey. I also use the addage that when we disable a vehicle and the airbags in such ways that you then put the key on the dash to let all other rescuers know that the job has ben done as we do with electric and hybrid vehicles. As Resuce101 stated this DOES NOT mean the bag will not go off. just that the module cannot set it off. Static electricity will be the demond you need to worry about. I also have a question for rescue101. Do you teach to unhook the cable connectors to airbags modules? Thanks, Alan

Forum Member

Cardoc,I don't teach the method,not that it doesn't have merit more because in the real world picture of vehicle rescue the connectors are usually not that easily accessible.Especially with people in the vehicle.Disable the RS bag with a key?Sure,why not but as we both know it doesn't render the bag "SAFE".T.C.

Forum Member

I have notice the new GM trucks now have a weight activated switch for the passenger airbag. If that key switch is turned on and no one is in the passenger seat the airbag should not deploy. BUT.. Can a rescuer climbing into the passenger seat possably activate the airbag after an accident?
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by 80FIRE
    I have notice the new GM trucks now have a weight activated switch for the passenger airbag. If that key switch is turned on and no one is in the passenger seat the airbag should not deploy. BUT.. Can a rescuer climbing into the passenger seat possably activate the airbag after an accident?
    \

You're missing the point of the system. The weight in the seat is only to determine if there is a passenger in seat at the time of the accident. It only means that the airbag should not deploy during the accident, not during the rescue efforts. But adding weight to the seat during the rescue will not activate it on a delayed basis either. It is different from a key system.

If the driver's bag deployed during the accident the only way to make sure that the passenger's and/or side bags is to disconnect the power source. This is also true for the trucks and cars without back seats who have the key switch. The system is still "live" and any mistake you might make to supply power to the system could cause deployment.

nmfire: What did you mean by "any halfway decent car" comes with the passenger side air bag? They have been standard and mandated in ALL passenger cars for several years. It has nothing to do with whether the car is "decent" or not.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I seem to recall a photo posted here some time last year of a deployed passenger airbag draped near the switch which was clearly in the off position (maybe RonM remembers this, I think he posted it??). I would not trust them.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

#1) A rescuer putting the switch in the "off" position will not hurt anything.

#2) A rescuer putting the switch in the "off" position does not guarantee anything.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

I agree hole hartedly with the last statement. The new GM system is called the Passenger Presence system. I have tested these in my shop. With the switch for the air bag on. I sat in the drivers seat and saw the monitor say off on the mirror. I then had my brother kneel on the passengers seat to hold C spine. Quess what. With the ignition on and the key in the run position it turned to ON when he knelt down. That is its design. I just check the wiring diagram and it recieves its power with the key in the run and start position. So turning off the key and the dash bypass switch I believe would be a good idea. NOT a cure. I repeat Not a cure but I believe great information for all. Folks this is just the start of the smart systems. Please read Rons article about them. These new systems are SMART. They will be able to choose per a rom memory in the DERM to select what to do in the event of a crash. Starting with do nothing at all to blowing the seat belt pretensioners and bags together. As of now this is how it is done but in the future the pretensioner or the bag may blow by itself if you are not wearing a seat belt. They are really working the safety issuse for passengers saftey out. Next I hope will be our safety. A big thank you to all those countless hours Ron and others put in telling our legislators we need help with Fire Fighter safety with this air bag issue. Alan

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    #1) A rescuer putting the switch in the "off" position will not hurt anything.

#2) A rescuer putting the switch in the "off" position does not guarantee anything.
    Thats eactly what I was looking for and what I suspected. Thanks guys.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

dazed and confused

That's kinda how I viewed the "grounding out the electrical system" thread.

D/C'ing the cables makes a spark, so even if grounding it out does create a spark, I'm not too worried.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information