Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by PFire23

Now George, let's give our FDNY Brothers some credit here..... I think it's far more likely that this "poster" hails from a state that just may begin with the first letter of the alphabet and end with the same (and I don't mean Alabama or Alaska) ..... whaddya think???? HAHAHAHAHA
    The post was waaaaaaay too literate to be from her.

Notice I did not say FDNY Fire fighter. There are other FDNY employees besides fire fighters.

I don't think that this is funny to an FDNY Fire Fighter. In fact, I know its not.

PFire23,Please do not start another verbal war about what has happened in the past. As firefighters it is our duty to be brothers and sisters. We need to build bridges not walls.

IACOJ(ret)

ciffret it was A JOKE hardeeharhar ........... I'm sorry I'll start posting I'M KIDDING from now on when I'm being a smartass
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I have seen my share of dance hall and bar fights that has ended with chair and bottle bustins that started out as a joke. I myself have a few scars to show for it. I am real careful about jokes anymore.

IACOJ(ret)

While I appreciate and respect your concern, it's highly unlikely that anything of that nature is going to happen via the internet. It was said in jest, I guess one has to understand my humor to get it.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Originally posted by ciffret
    PFire23,Please do not start another verbal war about what has happened in the past. As firefighters it is our duty to be brothers and sisters. We need to build bridges not walls.

IACOJ(ret)
    This is not the first time some "maroon" has come on this forum and posted sheer idiocy. Imachair is not a brother, nor a sister.
    Imachair is a moron who is here for one reason only...trying to stir the pot to see what rises to the top. Personally, I think he/she is the matter that sinks to the bottom of the bowl.

Hey webteam...how about a "courtesy flush" for "imachair"?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I am quite sure that "imachair" is probably someone we all know under another name. I find it hard to believe that someone decided to join the forums based on this thread. imacoward would be a more accurate screen name.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

The ignore box has already been struck for our idiot friend.

But back to the real topic here, I find the fight bad enough, but the cover up is really disturbing. I can sort of understand the boys trying to protect a brother, but anything that could possibly interfere with his receiving proper care for his injuries is irresponsible.

On a related note, I would also have expected multiple facial fractures like that to warrant an immobilized ambulance ride instead of the back seat of a car. If he had that kind of facial damage plus the fall to the floor, I would certainly be worried about spinal and/or unstable skull fractures.

Just my take from reading the articles.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 01-03-2004 at 12:25 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Default HOLD IT

I am not trying to protect Imachair by no means. I agree flush him. I don't want to see past wars restarted. It sure has been quiet on that front for the past week.
    We do need to build bridges and not walls, but we can't do it without a team.

IACOJ(ret)

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

imachair:
    It appears that you want to be a comedian. Well, in comedy, TIMING is everything. Your timing sucks. Go to the small clubs, work on your material and then go to a website that favors jocularity.
    Now, for the rest of the students here, I have a question.
    It appears from the news account that there was a history between these two guys. I believe the article said the two didn't like each other and would verbally spar. With others around them that must have known their history, then why on earth didn't someone intervene when the chair was raised in a threatening manner? Two careers could have been saved if anyone else would have stepped up to diffuse the situation.
    I abhor workplace violence and especially when it should not have risen to that level so easily. Just a simple "hey, you two; knock it off" might have been just enough to end it. Yeah; that's hindsight talking, but man, oh man; this was an eye blink from being a homicide.
    The delay smacks of a cover up and the duty officer will have to answer for that. Obviously, it's an embarassment for FDNY, but they are such a resilient department. They will come back from this.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

On a related note, I would also have expected multiple facial fractures like that to warrant an immobilized ambulance ride instead of the back seat of a car. If he had that kind of facial damage plus the fall to the floor, I would certainly be worried about spinal and/or unstable skull fractures.
    You're right. Some concern for a brother, huh? I've treated two patients in my day who were ambulatory, asking to sign off, who had basal skull fractures.

The coverup could be a criminal matter more serious than the assault.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think maybe some people are getting a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions. Using words like " coverup" and "systemic problems in fire station" will only inflame the old rumor mill. This may have been 2 guys who just plain didn't like each other for whatever reason, and it got out of hand. As far as transport in a car rather than ambulance, iut may show lack of judgement, but we don't know how bad the injuries appeared initially. This does not mean that there was an attempt to cover up. As far as firefighters not cooperating, its not right, but it is understandable. Guys tend to look out for their brothers.
    I think the guy who hit him will probably lose his job and may even do time for serious assault. If the other firefighter succumbs to his injuries, I guess murder or manslaughter will be charged. I don't think anyone should start shouting coverup or worse until some actual facts are in, not just media reports

As far as transport in a car rather than ambulance, iut may show lack of judgement, but we don't know how bad the injuries appeared initially. This does not mean that there was an attempt to cover up.
    Bryan Loader. Allow me to quote from Georges post.

Investigators said the firefighters who brought Walsh to the hospital told doctors he got hurt falling down stairs - but the severity of his injuries made doctors suspicious, and they called FDNY headquarters at around 11:30 p.m. to tell them an injured firefighter had been brought in.
    Is that plain enough english for you to realize there was an attempt to cover it up?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Duffman
    What I read into that is 1 firefighter covering up for another. It does not mean there was a cover up involving the station or officers. This is not a particularly unusual situation involving a scrap between 2 guys. I sure don't condone it or think it is right, but it does not constitute a cover up involving any more than 1 firefighter IF, and I emphasize IF, the media reports are right. I didn't see anything on here to indicate any other problems involving the dept or this particular fire station. I don't think anyone should conclude there was anything more sinister than a stupid fight that got out of hand, and one guy tried to keep it in house.

Default Bryan, again from the same post.

Other firefighters, including the house's top officer, Capt. Terrence Sweeney, helped him into a car and drove him to Staten Island University Hospital.
    The house's top officer. Go back to page one and read the story posted by GeorgeWendtCFI.

Denial isn't just a river in Africa.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The first "What the F***" of 2004.
    We have had guys mad at each other. Their has been some pushing and shoving in the past. But it was handled before it got out of hand.
    Right now we have two guys that don't serve out of the same station because of bad blood. This unfortunate incident is probably directly related to bad management.
    Let's just learn from this so none of you are next on the news.
    Our prayers are with Bob for a quick and full recovery, and Michael that he gets the help he needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Bryan, again from the same post.

Originally posted by Duffman

The house's top officer. Go back to page one and read the story posted by GeorgeWendtCFI.

Denial isn't just a river in Africa.
    Thanks Duff

Let me point out that I didn't make up the possibility of a coverup. That is what the articles say and the police indicate they are looking into.

MembersZone Subscriber

quote:

"As far as transport in a car rather than ambulance, it may show lack of judgement, but we don't know how bad the injuries appeared initially. This does not mean that there was an attempt to cover up."

It's very possible that the injured firefighter refused a ride in an ambulance and insisted upon riding in the car. The article said that he was ambulatory and walked into the E.R. Not to bring personal experience into the mix, but my father fell off a roof once and was having trouble breathing (broken ribs) and adamantly stated that he wasn't going to be taken away in "some damned meat wagon," so we took him by car to the hospital.

Originally posted by kentbwj
    quote:

"As far as transport in a car rather than ambulance, it may show lack of judgement, but we don't know how bad the injuries appeared initially. This does not mean that there was an attempt to cover up."

It's very possible that the injured firefighter refused a ride in an ambulance and insisted upon riding in the car. The article said that he was ambulatory and walked into the E.R. Not to bring personal experience into the mix, but my father fell off a roof once and was having trouble breathing (broken ribs) and adamantly stated that he wasn't going to be taken away in "some damned meat wagon," so we took him by car to the hospital.
    Apples and oranges here....

The incident happened to an on duty firefighter at shift change.

Getting hit in the head with a chair swung like a baseball bat is bound to cause massive head trauma...and it turned out it did.

in my opinion, the company officer should have called for a bus. If the firefighter refused transport to the hospital in the bus, the CO should have ordered him into the bus and dealt with the potential fallout afterwards. The safety of our personnel is paramount and supercedes anyones vanity about being in an ambulance.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default What?

I find it interesting that there is discussion about how the victim got to the hospital, the possibility of a cover up, one was going off duty and one was coming on duty, car vs. ambulance, C-spine stabilization, etc. Don't get me wrong; at some point, that should all be considered, but let me see; what is the problem that I have will this? Oh yeah:
    A BROTHER FIREFIGHTER GOT MAD ENOUGH TO BREAK THE FACE OF A FELLOW FIREFIGHTER!
    At the moment, I don't care if he got to the hospital by magic carpet or Santa's sleigh. A situation that WAS ALLOWED TO ESCALATE is on course to derail TWO careers. So I guess the question that I have is: where in the hell was the intervention? He used a chair. It could have easily been a gun. This isn't your garden variety tiff!
    When the "hostile work environment" shat storm gets started, it will worm its way through every station house in New York City. The alleged "cover up" will be a minor hiccup at that point.
    NYC insurance carrier had better sharpen its pencil to fill in the number followed by several zeroes.
    My opinion.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information