+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Forum Member

...our Chief is a women.
    Does your Chief have Multiple Personality Disorder?
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just a little (as ullrichk put it) "chop-busting" and "good natured ribbing"
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Forum Member

Stick533 why do you say that? Is that the way you talk to Chief Turner, Deputy Chief Britt Farrar, Lt Jesse Merritt, Lt Sean Cameron?? The women in your department Betzaida Shands, Jody Sarris and Stacy Merritt?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by caffder
    Stick533 why do you say that? Is that the way you talk to Chief Turner, Deputy Chief Britt Farrar, Lt Jesse Merritt, Lt Sean Cameron?? The women in your department Betzaida Shands, Jody Sarris and Stacy Merritt?
    He said why he said that...

Just a little (as ullrichk put it) "chop-busting" and "good natured ribbing"

Are you a feminazi...

Just a little (as ullrichk put it) "chop-busting" and "good natured ribbing".

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

why do you say that
    because you wrote...
    our Chief is a women
    instead of "our Chief is a woman."

Relax. It's just about a simple grammar error.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

and the good natured chop busting turns ugly ............sheesh !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

FIGJAM

In nay other industry or workplace, fighting would be a sackable offence. Period. Down the road. Out the door.

Is it acceptable that they be put on desk duties only?

Or is fighting in the same boat as hazing- it's a firehouse tradition thats acceptable because its meant to be fun?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it acceptable that they be put on desk duties only?

Or is fighting in the same boat as hazing- it's a firehouse tradition thats acceptable because its meant to be fun?
    Desk duty is a temporary measure until the investigation is completed. I cannot speak for NY, but here in IL there is a state statute known as the "firemans disciplinary act" that provides for the procedure that is to be followed in order to hand out discipline.

I am sure more serious discipline lies in the future for those involved.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

caffder-
    Stick533 why do you say that?
    I'm always one to joke around; and don't worry, as many mistakes as I make you'll have plenty of chances to get me back.
    By the way, Thanks for visiting our website.
    Last edited by Stick533; 01-09-2004 at 01:32 AM.
    Scott Maples
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Forum Member

Hello Scott ( Stick533)

It is good to hear from you. You must be a decent human being. You had two people come to your defense. It is my hope that all fire fighters are decent people. I am glad that you are. Samson asked me if I was a Feminazi... "Whatever" that is. That must be something they got over at the Floyd County Disater Emergency Services.

Have a very, very nice day! :-)
    Last edited by caffder; 01-09-2004 at 03:57 AM.

Talking Stick533 "Does you Chief have multiple personality disorder?"

Hello Stick533,
    Well, I think it is essencial to have a multiple personality when dealing with both sexes in the fire service don't you? I will say however... that after reading some of the opinions in this forum I wonder what happened to the "Brotherhood" between firefighters. I have often seen in my 20+ years of fire service no matter what our opinions are on different subjects the bottom line is we are ALWAYS there for each other, whether it be next door or across the nation. I am very proud of this career and all of you out there...and yes I do take your comment in jest. The only way I succeeded in this roll is to accept the way things have always been and give just a good as I get. Thanks for the joke/chop busting it just makes me feel like one of the guys...By the way I have been married to the same guy for 32 years, have 4 grown kids, (two of which are firefighters) and 3 grandsons. Just for those of you out there who wondered. Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Forum Member

I will say however... that after reading some of the opinions in this forum I wonder what happened to the "Brotherhood" between firefighters.
    Although there are debates that often get heated over different opinions on these forums, I seriously doubt there would be a single person on here who would deny helping me out when the s**t hit the fan on-scene due to a difference of opinion or even a joke that was taken the wrong way. People will always have different opinions; but the "Brotherhood" is a bond that'll never be broken.
    I have often seen in my 20+ years of fire service no matter what our opinions are on different subjects the bottom line is we are ALWAYS there for each other, whether it be next door or across the nation.
    You said it yourself
    Scott Maples
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

Thumbs up Brotherhood

Good morning Stick533
    That is one opinion we both agree on!
    Here is a question for all out there. What is the average hours a month spent on training. Lucky California dept. now have Cal OSHA to deal with and the new ruling is all dept. including volunteer must train 40 hours a month or more. Is this the beginning of the end for volunteer departments? It's difficult enough to keep volunteers that are dedicated as it is! Have a great week....

Forum Member

Horseplay does not belong in the fire department. We had a similar incident happen in my department although no one was injured. If a person is joking around and the one person says, hey I don't like that or please don't do that. Then the other firefighters at least in my expeirence step it up, because it "bothers" the other person. Well a man can only take so much. Before you snap.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, the discipline is coming down now.

The Capt on duty that day was hit pretty hard by the brass. Here is the story from the front page.

FDNY Captain Retires, Pays Fine Over Firehouse Brawl

Here is the bulk of the story.

Major disciplinary action is being taken as the result of a firehouse brawl on New Years Eve -- that left a fireman critically injured. Captain Terrence Sweeney is being demoted, heavily fined and will retire from the Fire Department.

Sweeney now faces penalties, but not termination. The deal includes the 48-year-old's retirement as of Feb. 10th, a fine of $90,883 to be paid by Feb. 10th, and a demotion from captain to firefighter. But Sweeney will get his full pension of $71,000 a year.
    Based on what has been described here in this this thread and the articles about this incident, I agree with disciplinary action. Whether or not it warrants a $90,000 fine however is certainly debatable. I can't even imagine paying that. That is an entire house out here in the sticks.

I could be comfortable with the demotion, but I can't get my head around such a huge fine.

For the FDNY guys,

Is this type of fine common out there, or does this look like they went waaay off the deep end?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

February 2, 2004 -- A 35-year-old Brooklyn firefighter suffered life-threatening injuries battling an arson fire that destroyed one building and damaged two others in Bedford-Stuyvesant yesterday.
    Firefighter Joe Lennon, 35 was in serious condition at Jacobi Hospital in The Bronx, where he was visited by Mayor Bloomberg.

Lennon, a five-year veteran, suffered smoke inhalation that led to respiratory failure after his air mask was dislodged, possibly by falling debris, Bloomberg said.

"He inhaled a lot of smoke and hot gases," said the mayor.

"He had some burns, but the doctors think that they will heal reasonably quickly and they just want to watch his lungs and his throat."

Lennon was rescued by fellow firefighters, who fought their way through thick smoke and heavy flames to bring him out.

Bloomberg said the three-alarm blaze, which began at 93 Macon St. and spread to three other buildings, was deliberately set. He said authorities are looking for a suspect, but do not yet have him in custody.

Paramedics worked on the unconscious firefighter at the scene, and then rushed him to Kings County Hospital. He was transferred to Jacobi and placed in a special hyperbaric decompression chamber.

Three other firefighters suffered minor injuries, but no residents were hurt.

"I had to run outside in the cold with just the clothes on my back," said Bill Wheeler, 56, a maintenance worker who lives at 95 Macon. "The only possession I have left is my ID card. Everything is lost."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

So after all the guessing....

The Captain, the head of the house, took the hit. He did the right thing, too bad many will never know all the reasons behind what he did.

Some many times what appears to be the right thing at the time turns into the wrong thing later. I'll bet there was no conspiracy, just a situation that escalated and a Captain trying to take care of his troops. It can be easy to sit in your chair and cast judgement, but unless you find yourself in similar shoes, you may never know how you'll act.

Ultimately Captain Sweeney was responsible, and he is accepting that. I was made aware that the Captain was going on the tenth anyway, so he isn't being forced into retirement. Funny how they can spin the little things.

I am sure there is much more to this story...

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by hfd66truck
    Some many times what appears to be the right thing at the time turns into the wrong thing later. I'll bet there was no conspiracy, just a situation that escalated and a Captain trying to take care of his troops. It can be easy to sit in your chair and cast judgement, but unless you find yourself in similar shoes, you may never know how you'll act.
    I am inclined to agree with you. These things do tend to grow legs and start running away from you, expecially when the media gets involved. I don't think that is the end-all excuse for it however. As you said:

Ultimately Captain Sweeney was responsible, and he is accepting that.
    BTW, Does anyone have an update on the injured ff?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    BTW, Does anyone have an update on the injured ff?
    A Brooklyn firefighter was seriously injured yesterday when he bravely raced into a burning brownstone to save lives and was hit in the head by falling debris, officials said.
    Firefighter Joseph Lennon, 35, of Ladder Co. 111, made it up to the third floor of the Bedford-Stuyvesant home, where he collapsed in respiratory distress amid raging flames apparently sparked by an arsonist.
    Unknown to the five-year FDNY veteran, no tenants were inside when he charged through the front door at 93 Macon St. just after 1 p.m., officials said.
    Fire marshals suspect the quick-moving blaze was intentionally set. The building's owners said that shortly before the fire erupted, they got an angry call from a tenant who was evicted Saturday."The fire is suspicious," Mayor Bloomberg said last night from Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, where doctors said Lennon was expected to pull through. "They have a suspect in mind."
    As the blaze spread to four neighboring buildings on Macon St., between Marcy Ave. and Verona Place, firefighters desperately searched for Lennon.
    When colleagues found him, his air mask was off and smoke was filling his lungs. He also hadburns to his back, officials said. They picked him up, moved him out the nearest window andlowered him to the street in a ladder truck bucket."They were pulling his clothes off and stuff. It was like he was on fire. Then we saw his face. It was really red," said neighbor Antonio Rico Benton, 15.
    Lennon was taken to Kings County Hospital, then transferred to Jacobi, where he was placed in a hyperbaric chamber. He was later moved to the hospital's burn unit, where he was upgraded to stable condition last night."This could have been a terrible tragedy for this city," said Bloomberg, who, with Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, comforted Lennon's wife and mother. Lennon's two brothers - one of whom is on the waiting list to become a firefighter - were also at the hospital.
    The fire started on the third or fourth floor of 93 Macon St. and quickly grew into a three-alarm blaze that drew 150 firefighters, officials said. Six other firefighters suffered minor injuries.
    The blaze spread east and west, burning buildings at 91 and 95 Macon St., and scorching dwellings at 87 and 89 Macon.
    Marisa Benton, 30, said she was painting her apartment at 95 Macon when the fire started."I smelled smoke and I looked out the window, and saw smoke billowing out from the window next door," said Benton. "By the time we crossed the street, flames were coming out of the windows."
    Saint Walker and his girlfriend, Monifa Benson, who bought 93 Macon St. in July, said they were shopping when they got a call from a tenant they evicted Saturday. "She was screaming, 'Why did you change the locks?'" Benson said.
    Moments after getting the angry call, Benson said, her cell phone rang again with news from a friend that their building was ablaze.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

District Chief

Ray... I think he was referring to the injured firefighter from the "Chair incident". Can you update us on that one? Thanks for the update on the firefighter in the Arson Fire...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

February 3, 2004 -- Hero firefighter Joe Lennon was on the mend yesterday and welcoming support from family, friends and fellow firefighters who streamed in to visit him in his hospital room.
    Lennon, 35, was in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center's burn unit in The Bronx after he inhaled smoke when his mask came off while he battled an arson fire in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Sunday.

"They took the [breathing] tube out this morning," said a relieved Capt. James Yakimovich, from Lennon's Ladder 111 in Brooklyn.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

It looks like the FF who swung the chair is back to work.

This article from the front page.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=25664

Here's the meat:

FDNY Brawler Back on Payroll
    Courtesy of The New York Post

The Staten Island firefighter who nearly killed a fellow firefighter by allegedly slamming a chair in his face made a brief courtroom appearance yesterday - the same day he was put back on the payroll.

Michael Silvestri, 41, was suspended without pay after being arrested for the New Year's Eve brawl that seriously injured his firefighter comrade, Bob Walsh.

Silvestri, who is now assigned to the Fire Department's Bureau of Operations, is on restricted duties, but is back to getting a paycheck, an FDNY spokesman said.

In court yesterday, Silvestri appeared with his new lawyer, Mike Barone, and the case was adjourned until mid-March.
    And it looks like the other FF is out of the hospital.

Walsh's nose was nearly ripped off and his eye sockets and jaw smashed in. The 40-year-old was in a medically induced coma for days at Staten Island University Hospital.

He was later transferred to NYU Medical Center, and last week, the nine-year FDNY veteran was released from the hospital.
    After seeing the huge penalties levied on the Duty Officer that day, I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that Mr. Silvestri is back to work so quickly. I will be interested to see how the case plays out.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Is there a good chance the FF that got hit with the chair will ever return to active duty?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not trying to keep bringing this up... but are they ever going to let this man just pay his fines and go on with his life?! This is not even the man that hit the guy!

FIRE-BRAWL CAPT. WAS BOOZING
    By CLEMENTE LISI

February 7, 2004 -- An FDNY captain accused of trying to cover up the Staten Island firehouse brawl that left a firefighter's face mangled was "very definitely involved" in the booze fest that led to the brawl, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said.

"Terrence Sweeney was very definitely involved, and that played an important part in imposing the severe punishment we imposed," Scoppetta said in an interview that will air tomorrow on WNBC/Channel 4.

Capt. Sweeney was in charge of Ladder Co. 76 in Tottenville where a New Year's Eve fight left firefighter Robert Walsh in a medically induced coma.

Sweeney avoided departmental charges last week by cutting a deal with the FDNY that includes a two-rank demotion back to firefighter -and a fine of more than $90,000. He was forced to retire this month.

Walsh's nose was nearly ripped off and his eye sockets and jaw smashed in.

Fellow firefighter Michael Silvestri was charged with assault and harassment for bashing Walsh in the face with a metal folding chair.

'Silvestri, who has been assigned to the Fire Department's Bureau of Operations, was placed on restricted duty last week and put back on the payroll.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

From his hospital bed, the firefighter seriously injured in a Brooklyn arson blaze penned a letter of thanks yesterday to the colleagues who saved his life.Firefighter Joseph Lennon, 35, was knocked unconscious Sunday when he raced into a Bedford-Stuyvesant brownstone being eaten by fire.His fellow firefighters found him seconds after his mask was knocked off; smoke had filled his lungs. He remained in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center last night.
    "I am so blessed to be working with the greatest firefighters in the world," wrote Lennon, a five year veteran of Brooklyn's Ladder 111. "If not for our extensive in-house training for unconscious firefighter removal, I wouldn't be here today," the five-year FDNY veteran added.Six other firefighters suffered minor injuries battling the blaze, which spread to several buildings on Macon St. Shortly before the blaze ignited, landlords of the building where the fire originated got an angry call from a tenant who had been evicted Saturday.Detectives in the 79th Precinct were working with fire marshals to track down the suspect, FDNY sources said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Point taken E40
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information