KENNESAW, Ga. (AP) - A 4-year-old girl died in a New Year's Day
house fire after she was trapped in an upstairs bedroom.
Fire officials did not know what started the early morning
blaze. By the time the flames were under control, all that remained
were four wooden steps leading to the foundation.
Officials would not provide the names of family members
Thursday.
The child lived with her parents and two brothers. The boys were
awakened by flames and alerted their parents, who tried
unsuccessfully to get the child, who was sleeping in another
bedroom cut off by the fire.
Cobb County fire Lt. DeWayne Campbell said there was so much
heat the only way to escape was to jump.
The boys suffered cuts on their legs as they crawled through an
upstairs window. The mother sustained second-degree burns on parts
of her body. The father refused medical treatment, Campbell said.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

APTV 01-02-04 0130EST