Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Default I graduate in less than 6 months, what can I do to have a job waiting for me?

Captain Bob, maybe you can help me with this one. I graduate in about 5 months(Class of 20-OH FO!) and I want nothing more in life to become a paid fireman. I want to get on the job as soon as possible, and my marketing teacher is on me about turning in resumes and cover letters and all of those good things now, while I'm still in school. I'm about 3 courses short of having some of the prerequisites for a lot of career departments around here (Firefighter 2, EVOC, and HAZMAT Ops), but the courses aren't very long at all and it shouldn't take long to get those three certifications. I just wanted to know what I needed to do, besides find those classes, because this is what I really want and I don't want to put it back any longer than I have to. PLEASE HELP!!!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Congrats on finishing school. I know I'm not Captain Bob but I have a few things for you if you wouldn't mind my input. . .

First, I don't know of anything you can do to have a job waiting for you when you get out unless you are a paramedic (this is all based on my experience applying in the Midwest).

Fire departments only recruit once every one to three years and you need to actively look for the cities that are testing. Once you take your first test you are looking at three to twelve months before you even know the results. It is a long and frustrating process.

Here is what I did. . .

1) Figure out what cities you want to work for and find them on the web or call them to get the dates that applications are being accepted. Make a spreadsheet or set up some sort of reminder for yourself for each city.

2) Find out what requirements you need for each city and get those while you are waiting to test.

3) Once you start the process find out about the city and the department, I feel that the interview panel likes someone who knows the city and department.

4) Captain Bob has some good info for you and some good advise for the interview process you can follow. Answer any question that you feel could be asked of you in the interview (the interview is usually the most difficult part) on paper and review them.

Other than that you are applying to be a professional so dress like one (I don't believe for a minute that you can over dress for an interview), talk like one, and conduct yourself like one.

Good luck, it is not an easy process but it can be done.

MembersZone Subscriber

3-12 months?
    Wow, that is a process!
    I start my academy tomorrow... I feel when its all said & done, it will be well worth it.

Forum Member

Default Congrats!

Well, you're on the journey to a firefighter badge. I don't know what part of the country you in, but if it were me, I would be obtaining the classes to get into medic school. Eighty percent of the positions now are for fire/medics. Even if you take a regular firefighter test, you would get better consideration, even in the oral board, if you're a medic. You will get more bang for your buck. For every firefighter job there is up to 800 candidates chasing it. There is an army of candidates with every degree, certicate and merrit badge you could imagine out there chasing those jobs. For every medic job there are on 12. Which odds do you like best?

GREATPLAINSFF has given you some great advice.

In addition to locating departments you would like to work for ask to put in an interest card. When they test you will be informed. Subscribe to the job section of this web site to keep up to date on agencies that are testing. Test everywhere you can. The more test you take, the better you get at taking tests.

In addition to writing down and reviewing questions and answers, pratice them with a tape recorder to hear what the panel is going to hear out of your mouth. The oral board for most departments is 100% of the score to get hire. Everything else is pass/fail.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default UPDATE!!! sorry its so long

I haven't spoken to you guys in a while now, in fact, I haven't really been active on the forums at all. But here's an update to what's going on in the wild, wonderful voyage of WFDjr1's quest to become a career firefighter after graduation (Which is June 5th, but we'll get to that later).

A few months ago, All of the fire chiefs in our region decided it would be a nifty idea for everyone to just test at the same time (both physical and written), saving money, and afterwards they would issue certificates that you would present along with your application whenever one of these 5 agencies were hiring. I signed up, listened to everybody trying to convince me that the test would be nearly impossible for a youngster like me, and to not get my hopes up.

Well here comes test day, and I'm as nervous as a 10 year old boy at one of Michael Jackson's sleepovers. I have to take the written first, and as I'm sitting in the waiting room with the other guys taking the test, I realize that I'm not gonna get anywhere in this job by going off of hearsay, and the only way to get anywhere is to bust my *** and prove that I can do it. Well, I was the first to finish the written test (which I thought was a breeze) and I proceeded to the physical. I passed this with no problem, 2nd fastest time of the day, and I was so pumped when I was finished that I wanted to do it again. Well about 2 weeks later, I find out I recieved a 92.2 on the written, now comes the time to wait until departments start hiring...

On May 3, it seemed my dream was even closer to becoming true. The department that I really wanted to work for more than any other opened up 3 positions, so I had a talk with our chief on what I should do to make my application as professional as can be. I sent in my application and testing certificate, as well as my resume of certifications that was also required by the department. At this point I was nervous because I thought I might be rejected from getting an interview because I was still in school. I got in touch with some of my friends that work at that department after the application period had closed, just to see how many had applied, and the official count is 9. About a week later, I recieved a letter. I have an interview on June 4th!!! Now is this cool or what? Interview on the 4th, graduate on the 5th. I've been preparing for this interview, I've got my signature story prepared, and here's where I need some help. Is there anything else I can do to leave my mark on the Board, to convince them that even though I'm 18, I'm still the best choice for one of these three positions?

Thank you guys for all your help! I'll keep you posted on how things go!
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 05-29-2004 at 12:35 PM.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Default Be Prepared

Don't let your age be an issue. You don't want to mention your age. For your education, you can say I will have my XXXX classes completed by the fall of 04, etc.

Practice your answers with a tape recorder for these FREE 30 sample possible oral board questions here http://www.eatstress.com/thirty.htm

Also check the FREE 101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge here: http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

Last week a large department sent out invitations for their chiefís orals. A 20 year-old non-medic candidate called on short notice that his interview was going to be in 4 days.

Mark took his oral on Monday. On Tuesday, I got a call from the very excited 20-year old candidate that he just got a job offer. He said what really helped him was to connect all the dots and find out what needed to be taken out of his presentation.

Mark had good stuff. He was able to put together a segment of his personal life experiences that could be used as an answer to a particular oral board question or in his closing statement. They didnít ask the question in the body of his oral so when he was given the chance for a closing he was loaded for bear. He told me as he was finishing his (believe me this was killer) presentation he saw the chiefís begin to get this little smile. It only added to the energy. He knew when he left the room he had the job. He did!

Call me if you have any questions.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, let me put another spin on this. I know people who died at the Station club fire. I don't like medic runs... So I went into prevention. NFPA sprinkler and alarm classes, Fire Inspector cert... There's more than one way to get a job. You looking to run the line for 20 years?? Maybe go into Tech rescue/hazmat?? If your heart is into bread and butter 24/48 then you had better get that medic card. Otherwise, the field has a million ways to go.

Forum Member

Default update

The interview went great! I talked to one of the interviewers a few days later on a fire scene, and he asked me how I thought I did, I told him that I thought did pretty good, and he said "You're right, you did good." About 5 days later, I called the chief to see how things were going and to let him know that I was still interested, and he told me the same thing, that I did good on the interview and he was hearing good things about me. I asked him how the process was going, and he explained that he was doing my background check and would get back to me in about a week. That was 5 days ago. A lot of the SFD guys have been asking the guys at my current station about me, and they've been getting good feedback. The rumor mill has also fired up within the past couple days, with just about EVERYONE saying that I've got it. I'm still waiting on the call though, and hoping I get it....

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Default Clam up

Probablly the best thing you can do right now is to stop talking to anyone who will stand still. You don't want to say or do anything that might be taken the wrong way. Just be all smiles. You're in play. There is only one person that could keep you from getting the badge. That would be you.

There will be plenty of time for celebration later.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice Cap, will do!

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Default Good news......

Captain, add me to the list of those you've helped to get a badge, I recieved my phone call at 11:50 today, and I've been smiling ever since! My first day on the job is July 8th, and I can't wait!

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Default Congrats!

Bravo! Congrats on the success in gaining your badge! Thank you for letting us know. We here by bestow upon you are badge number 2,175 in our program.

To help you get started in the academy and as a new rookie check out the New Firefighter section in the FREE 101 Inside Secrets here:
    http://eatstress.com/faq.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information