Thread: Nashville Fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Nashville Fire

Hi everyone, im from Illinois but i was wondering if any of you know when and if Nashville Fire is hiring any time soon. any information would be appreciated. thanks again and stay safe
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever you do in life do it with passion and enthusiasm and you will always be a winner." Steve Irwin

Greg

Forum Member

I was in the area (at the academy) recently, and some of the guys said that Metro was going to hire soon. I'm headed out there next week; I'll see what I can find out.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you, i really appreciate it
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever you do in life do it with passion and enthusiasm and you will always be a winner." Steve Irwin

Greg

Default Nashville Metro

Nashville Metro Fire Dept tested in 2003 and has a list that they will soon be hiring from , starting in Spring of 2004.

This list is good for 3 years so if you are not on it, you will have to wait for another 3 years to try again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know an update on hiring with Nashville Fire? Do they require Paramedic yet? What is their starting pay? Anybody know when the next hiring exam will be? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCast141 View Post
    Anyone know an update on hiring with Nashville Fire? Do they require Paramedic yet? What is their starting pay? Anybody know when the next hiring exam will be? Thanks for any help.
    Last I heard they were moving some of their EMS personnel over to fire suppression to fill in some voids. This will possibly open some positions in the EMS division (EMTs/Paramedics), but I haven't heard of any recruit hiring for fire supression. Starting pay is around $40k so it makes it pretty hard to get a position as a firefighter. I guarantee there's a long list of people waiting to test.

They do not require EMT or Paramedic, but having your EMT license is a big benefit. In the past, half of the 16/18 week academy was EMT training. If they can hire EMT recruits, that will cut down the training time and get them on the streets faster. I had been told that the last recruit class they had, many of them were EMT's.

MembersZone Subscriber

They just graduated a crosstraining class Dec 18. EMT and Paramedic apps are on the Human Resources Dept page. The present hire list expires this year. Also, even if they make a new hire list, a newly elected mayor has the right to suspend that list and make a new one. get your EMT or Paramedic,that will help a lot. Look to the left of the HR page and there will be a column with Benefits listed. Click on that and follow the links to Salary system. You will be under Police and Fire salary system or PS. There is also a list of pay classes and you will need to look up the pay class, but you'll probably be a PS03. It takes 10 years to top out your salary pay grade. Just retired from there with 32 yrs. and wish the body could have gone another 10. What a ride.

Forum Member

Default Website

Does any NFD stations have a company website? I have been on the main site, but unable to locate any others....

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know. I don't think they do. Google may bring up something. Try Nashville Eng 12(HazMat Station) or any other No. 2-41.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hey all,
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything on Paramedic hires for Nashville Fire. Thanks.

Stay safe
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Greg

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to Nashville.gov and Human Resources. I've heard they're excepting now for EMT's Paramedics

Forum Member

I know that they're always accepting applications for EMT/Paramedic. I have a fire Chief's meeting with NFD this month. Last I talked to them they were not currently hiring for EMS yet. My wife is trying to get on with them..

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys for the info. I really appreciate it.

stay safe
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Greg

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all, thanks for the info.
    I am currently on the list for medics however does anyone know when they expect to hire Paramedics/EMTs for the year or how many they usually hire??

Do they usually hire in the Spring or Fall or just as necessary?

Do they run an academy for medics?

If they do how long is it and what is involved in the academy?

Do the medics have permanent trucks/partners or do they move around between the ambulances?

Thanks everyone
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Greg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicff32 View Post
    Hey all, thanks for the info.
    I am currently on the list for medics however does anyone know when they expect to hire Paramedics/EMTs for the year or how many they usually hire??

Do they usually hire in the Spring or Fall or just as necessary?

Do they run an academy for medics?

If they do how long is it and what is involved in the academy?

Do the medics have permanent trucks/partners or do they move around between the ambulances?

Thanks everyone

There may be some inservice training if you're hired, but I don't think EMS personnel attend an academy. I know the Fire suppression guys do. I have heard that the new-hires have been traveling to different halls. Basically filling in where they're needed. They work 4 12 hr days, then off 4 days (2 am's & 2 pm's). I heard the earliest they will be hiring is after July, but that could change. My source is pretty reliable, so I will probably bug him again when I see him this month....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    I have heard that the new-hires have been traveling to different halls. Basically filling in where they're needed. They work 4 12 hr days (2 am's & 2 pm's), then off 4 days.
    True. A week, maybe 10 dys, of protocol orientation, rules and regs, HR and 10 rides on the street being evaluated by a street medic. Be early for the rides to help with prep(unit washing, inside and out, and check off) The Medical Director is part of the Eagles, and he likes pre-hospital care. He has implemented "credentialing", which every Paramedic must pass. Good luck.

Forum Member

I am currently active duty in thr Air Force and considering getting out in March of 08. I want to apply for Nashville Fire as a EMT-IV. This thread has answered most of my questions. I currently have my NREMT-B and I understand I will need to take a bridge course to apply for the TN EMT-IV certification. I was looking at Vol. State Community College has anyone taken classes with them? Also is Nashville willing to hire members who get out of active duty and join the guard. Also if anyone out there is currently in the Air National Guard unit out of Nashville International Airport and what the unit is like there? Thanks to the guys who have taken the time to post their knowledge and wisdom.

Stay safe out there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFMEDIC View Post
    I am currently active duty in thr Air Force and considering getting out in March of 08. I want to apply for Nashville Fire as a EMT-IV. This thread has answered most of my questions. I currently have my NREMT-B and I understand I will need to take a bridge course to apply for the TN EMT-IV certification. I was looking at Vol. State Community College has anyone taken classes with them? Also is Nashville willing to hire members who get out of active duty and join the guard. Also if anyone out there is currently in the Air National Guard unit out of Nashville International Airport and what the unit is like there? Thanks to the guys who have taken the time to post their knowledge and wisdom.

Stay safe out there
    I took the EMT-IV bridge program at Vol State. It's decent. It's only one week long if you're already an EMT-B. It is also the reciprocity class if you're an out-of-state EMT. Advanced airway is taught along with Intravenous since TN EMT's are allowed to administer Combi & PTL's.

I am a Sergeant and the EMS Coordinator for Nashville Int'l Airport Dept of Public Safety. We do both law enforcement & firefighting at the airport. Out of roughly 68 police officers, about 1/3 of us are licensed EMT's/IV's. We have several officers who are also with the guard unit. I will ask how they like it. I am also on the Airport Hazmat/GO Team and we do cross-training with the 118th annually when they're doing fuel maintenance on the C-130's. Talk about a confined space!! A fuel cell on a C130 is not fun to attempt to get someone out of. PM me if you have any further questions.

TNFireMedic...Slovis is our new MD at the airport as well. He is coming out to our in-service tomorrow to train during our quarterly EMT training.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you'll like him. Don't know if he knows much about aircraft, but he'll look up as much as he can after your meeting. He's on an international lecture circuit. He was always going places to speak when I was there.

You shouldn't have any problem.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Sgt. Scott. I tried sending you a PM and I ran into a problem. Here is what the message said "SgtScott31 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her". I am new to the forum so maybe I did something wrong. If I cant get it to work I will post my home email address so I can get in touch with you. Thanks again for the info.

P.S. Here is my home email address explorerjrc@aol.com

Forum Member

Question

SgtScott

I tried to send you a PM and I got an error message this is what it said,"SgtScott31 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her". I will try to send one to you again, but I think you have to edit under your profile options to accept private messages. But thanks for the info. I checked out the public safety page on the Nashville International Airport website and you guys have a very unique department. Just curious as to what the requirements are to get on?

Thanks

Forum Member

Hey Sgt. Scott

Thanks for the quick reply and the info I really appreciate it. I looked at the Nashville International Airport Public Safety web page and you guys do some high speed stuff and have a very unique department. So how does it work out with your officers schedule and do you rotate between patrol and working on the crash truck? Also what are the requirements for your department? Just looking for some info with departments in the middle Tennessee area and what their requirements are, so I can know what to expect after I separate from active duty. Thanks again for taking the time to read this and giving me some info. I tried to send you a PM several times and kept getting an error message that you couldn’t receive a PM. If you could try to send me a PM I would appreciate, so I can give you my email address.

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Nashville Fire is accepting Fire Recruit applications starting March 19 to April 13 ,online application submittal only. Applications recieved prior to March 19 or after April 13 not accepted.

www.nashville.gov

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nashville Paramedics

Hey all,

Just seeing if anyone has heard anything or been called that is on the current Paramedic list. Rumor is they are looking to hire in June or July when the new fiscal year starts. I did not know if anyone could confirm or deny this rumor. Also I was told that the tests were scored. I was wondering if the test/resumes/applications are out of 100 and how much this has to do with moving on in the process.

thanks all
    Last edited by medicff32; 03-06-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    – Franklin D. Roosevelt

Greg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFMEDIC View Post
    Hey Sgt. Scott

Thanks for the quick reply and the info I really appreciate it. I looked at the Nashville International Airport Public Safety web page and you guys do some high speed stuff and have a very unique department. So how does it work out with your officers schedule and do you rotate between patrol and working on the crash truck? Also what are the requirements for your department? Just looking for some info with departments in the middle Tennessee area and what their requirements are, so I can know what to expect after I separate from active duty. Thanks again for taking the time to read this and giving me some info. I tried to send you a PM several times and kept getting an error message that you couldn’t receive a PM. If you could try to send me a PM I would appreciate, so I can give you my email address.

Jason

Sorry I haven't responded. I wasn't aware that I couldn't receive PM's on the firehouse forums. I am also on officer.com forums quite a bit if you want to catch me there. Our minimum requirements to be eligible are either 60 hrs of college OR an EMT license. You can have either one. Our schedules are 8 hr 5 day work weeks. Out of 5 days, normally 1 is working fire and the other 4 are working law enforcement. Some weeks you may get two firehall days. While in the firehall you wear a different uniform and assigned to 1 of 5 trucks. Normally the bigger 1500gal or 3000gal crash trucks. If we have enough personnel, then maybe the smaller response vehicles. Go to the website right now. I think we're taking applications for another few days. You can PM me at the officer.com forums if you have further questions.

Thread Information