Thread: Portable Radios

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portable Radios

I recently bought an MT1000 portable radio. I bought it because I start fire school next week, and because all the articles by Vincent Dunn or Chief Goldfeder say that it's an essential tool if you get in a jam. I'm just wondering if anyone else owns a portable or uses one from the station or apparatus, and if so, what type.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Forum Member

Why should you go out and buy your own, shouldnt your fire department furnish them?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

HNFC FF/President

we have 3 portable radios on each engine. I don't know exactly what type they are, only that they are Motorola.

3 people on the truck = everyone having a portable

5 people on the truck = radios going in senority order.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

The company issues them to the officers, and there are two that are for general use in the station, but are more or less pieces of crap. Unreliable at best, and scrap at worst, and unreliable communications is not acceptable to me. I bought the radio used and got it pretty cheap, and it works quite well. Whenever anyone suggests the company buys them for everyone the money issue comes up, the mayor just can't see the point in spending so much money. We all pray that it doesn't take a tragedy to change his mind.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

HNFC FF/President

mayors and money...seems like were not the only department in the Tri-County area to have that problem. Communication is one of our top priorities, that and PPE.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Every riding seat on the engines and trucks have portables in our dept. Everyone will have one when they are on the fireground. However only the officers are permitting to talk over them, unless you are in need of help. Such as declaring a mayday, or a building is about to collapse..etc etc etc

Thread Information