Thread: Training

Forum Member

Default Training

Ok we all know it, most Departments dont have much training, and my Department is one of them, dont get me wrong we offer trainings and stuff but you need firefighters to have the training, and we simply never have anyone to have a training session, the only training I am getting is Cadet Training and that ends in like a year when I turn 18, and I think its important to have more training. I dont want someone on our Department to get in that little situation where you probably come out alive and it could of been prevented with more training, Even though we dont get many structure fires and big calls, we still should keep training cause you never know, people dont just pick out an accident they want to be involved in and such. WE usually hold a training session after each meeting and there are two of them monthly and no one shows, they come there for a meeting but then dont want to attend training. How can this be stopped and have more training. What types of training can we have where they want to participate in. Is it that there not interested? is so I dont think they should be in this type of work. Heck us Cadets do more training that the firefighters do!

Also our Cadet Advisor has ran out of training Ideas, anyone have any input, were wanting to do more hands on training.

Thanks
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

your not alone on this one, a year ago i became a fire instructor, and everytime i mention doing training on my dept. the thought of actually learning something scares the senior members, and the new guys don't want to make waves and everyone dissappears about that time. some things i've seen other dept's do is bring in instructors from around the area on drill night. different instructors put new twists on things.

Forum Member

Several solutions can form from this problem:

1. Get out and try to find some new stuff to do, we are constantly getting new ideas from Firehouse, other magazines or even other departments

2. Implement a plan to have everyone attend, A neighboring department has a plan where every member has to attend a certain number of trainings or they can't respond to calls

3. FOOD!! If you provide your guys with food watch how many more will show up, we did it and we've gotten 40 people on a regular basis
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

Food is good. We have two training sessions a month. We eat at one, and do some classroom stuff. The other is for training only. The training site on Firehouse.com has great drills, and can be used to give you more ideas.

I'm the training officer for my department, a combo department with mostly volunteers. We have just completed a Connex box burn building, and there's nothing wrong with hooking trucks to hydrants, flowing water, pump ops refreshers, SCBA, hell, you name it.

The thing is to keep it interesting and on a level that salties and probies can both relate to. Challenge them, make the DO something, and they will come back for more.

We used plywood tabletops for our fundraiser to build a maze for search and rescue, put the smoke to it and reversed the hoods and send them in. REALISTIC procedures produce second nature decisions on the fireground.

The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.

Stay safe,

Bill

Forum Member

I have been going through the same thing here. I have taken on the role as training officer. We were a district that only had one meeting, the annual banquet. I even have a board member that thinks it is too much to ask firefighters to attend meetings. If you feed them they will come. Try to make training as realistic and interesting as possible. One of the first big meetings I did was an all day vehicle extrication training with the local EMS unit. The negative talkers said no one would show. We had about 40 people show up. I would like to address the attendance issue also, but cannot until we have a change of the board. Those that are interested will come to the meetings those that aren't won't show up. Change never comes easy. The only thing you can hope for is that others will stand up with you. Otherwise it will be really lonely at the top. I wish some of our older guys that no longer care would just retire and let the younger ones take a more active role.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking back over this week's training, we did SCBA's. All members were timed on getting bunker gear on. At the end of that competition, they were timed on donning SCBA's and breathing. After they finished, the chief had his turn under our scrutiny, and yours truly.

Cool thing with this is that while they're breathing air, you can work on controlled breathing and emergency breathing techniques. Since we don't have any rescue air, we practice Crawford's changeover techniques.

Then, you build on that. Follow up with Search and Rescue techniques, then bunker and pack up, go in and bring out the dummy. Work on RIT stuff, drags, you're only limited to the horror stories you read on this site and the solutions that have come from them.

Good luck with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

NCKS,

I have one word for your board member...LIABILITY. Who covers your department for worker's comp/health insurance? Hell, we can't get coverage if we don't have long enough hose loads. Can't imagine not meeting at least monthly for training. I know what you mean about the older guys. Luckily, most of ours are retired. Our mutual aid stations have a few.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a business meeting on the first Tuesday of every month but every other Tuesday morning/night there are training "details." You have to make 7 meetings and 20 trainings in one year. People bend their ways around this rule but no one really has a problem with it. I think I had 60+ last year. Our captain/training officer is on top of things.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Food - it works, even just pizza after

2. Competition - make the teams or events fair and keep it friendly, just enough to built up personal pride.

3. It must be interesting, do not do the same thing over and over

4. Keep the senior members involved - have them set up the drill or come up with the ideas for them. Pair them up with a new member so they can learn from each other.

5. Hold it at reasonable time and keep the length down - make sure members can make it. To many drill are set up at a time good for the guy in charge. Make sure members will be available. Then do not keep them there all day.

6. Make sure the drill is organize and has a clear objective. Guys want to know what they are practicing and why. Tell them what is expected out of the drill before they start. This will help them to focus on the drills objective.

Good Luck
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

Im 100% for training. We have a standard in my station that we do Medical, Fire and Rescue training every shift. Now sometimes it means only reading an article as a group due to the never ending Admin responsibilities, but none the less we try to do some kind of training every shift. We have a lot of young guys in our department, very experienced but young and willing to go out and train.

One kind of training that seems to get all involved is competition training. Some times its fun to have the Vets go against the Noobies, but mostly we have the engine companies go against each other and from time to time we have individual competition training. Now any kind of competition is good for moral, just use your imagination. Here is one type of competition we do once a Quarter.

Four man team (Eng Co) or (Trk Co)

1. Given the command to START, each member of the first team to go, will don their bunker gear with SCBA. (NO Air Time). Once all members have donned their gear correctly, the leave as a team to the next station. (100 walk).

2. Team will raise a pre-staged ladder to the bldg, and one member will climb the ladder and retrieve thier colored tag tapped to the wall. (Length of ladder is up to the PIC). Once the member is off the ladder, 1 member of the team will pick up 2- 5 gallon cans of AFFF located next to the ladder ( This can not be the same person that climbed the ladder) and advance as a team to the next station. (100 walk).

3. Once each member has crossed the line at the next station, 1 member will pick-up a 100 section of 1 high rise pack and advance as a team to the next station. (Once again the person carrying the hose pack can not be one of the previous FFs that has completed their assigned task. (100 walk).

4. Once the team has arrived at the next station the 2 remaining FFs that have not completed a task will carry (using recognized Fire Dept Carries) a rescue manikin 50 to the next station.

5. Once all members have arrived at the next station, they will advance a charged 100 section of 1 attack line 100 and knock down a pre-staged target. Once this has been completed, the team will advance to the next and final station. (50 walk).

6. As a team, all members will replace a busted section of hose (2 1/2 or 3) with a pre-staged section of hose and knock down a target using the deck gun attached to the end of the hose. This is down by clamping the hose and changing the bad section out. The bad section of hose has to be in the middle of the lay. So if your dept uses 50 length hose then the lay has to be 150, and for the ones using 100 section the lay would have to be 300. The pressure is pre-set at 100psi by the pump operator manning the pump. There is no set time, just which ever team has the lowest time. There is awards for the team, Free lunch or anything like that.
    Last edited by captjab; 02-06-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Thread Information