Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Car Dealership Freezes Pump

Well, our brand new F-550 Mini-Pumper (we got it in June 2003) was having some steering problems, so yesterday we took it to a local Ford dealership to have it looked at. They couldn't duplicate the problem, so around 1330 we had someone go show them what the problem was. Now, when we dropped it off yesterday morning, they were told about the battery disconnect switch (because the last time it was in there, they left the batteries on and neighbors were complaining about the low voltage alarm going off) and were told not to leave it outside. Well, they didn't listen and left it out all night. The windchill last night was around -10 degrees F. So this morning they called the station to say they had a problem with the truck. They said nobody told them there was water in the Firetruck (who would've thought there would be water in a fire truck) and that a "plug" had shot 150' across their parking lot. The chief went right over and discovered that this "plug" was the valve for the 5" Stortz off the driver's side pump panel. But "it wasn't their fault because we didn't tell them there was water in it". It will be very interesting to see what happens.

On a side note, this is the same dealership we had problems with before. A year or two ago when the PD got new cruisers, they got them from these same people and traded in our Chief's car and another crown vic used for general purposes. Well, one of their porters wanted the old Chiefs car, and the dealership said they would remove all of the decals. One night, while at my full-time job as a dispatcher, I heard the neighboring FD dispatchers (who are right next to me in the building) talking about my city. When I asked them what was going on, they said that they had a complaint of one of their vehicles driving through the neighborhood trying to pick up some girls and saying they had some Marijuana. So this FD sent one of their crews out to check only to find out it was a car from my city. So I had the dispatch Lt. ask the crews what color car and descriptions of the occupants. Well, then I remembered that we had got a new Chief's car and I asked if it had a lightbar on it and they said no, so I knew it was the one we traded in. Well, I had to call the Chief at home and fill him in and, needless to say, he wasn't happy. Nothing ever came out of that. I guess this was strike two against them. If I had my way, there wouldn't be a CHANCE to have a strike three.

DING ..........FRIES ARE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Plain and simple it goes like this:

1) Against your orders they left a firetruck outside "and were told not to leave it outside. Well, they didn't listen and left it out all night"

2) Temperatures were below freezing and damaged the pump. Perhaps destroying it.

3) Time to stright out say you broke it you fix it or we are going to the lawyers.

I do have to ask a pretty blunt question though. If this dealership has a history of being such complete dumb *****es why does your city keep going back to them? Are they the only Ford dealer in the area? If so I would go right up the complaint ladder to corporate and complain load and long until they took care of the problem. Your city obviously has history with Ford and the bad blood this will incurr may cause corporate to act where your local knot heads won't without legal action.

I would as soon as this is taken care of sever ties with that dealer permanently.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Default good story.....

DING ..........FRIES ARE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!

What a classic!!!

I do have to ask a pretty blunt question though. If this dealership has a history of being such complete dumb *****es why does your city keep going back to them? Are they the only Ford dealer in the area? If so I would go right up the complaint ladder to corporate and complain load and long until they took care of the problem. Your city obviously has history with Ford and the bad blood this will incurr may cause corporate to act where your local knot heads won't without legal action.
    I know what you are saying. I guess the higher ups thought that after the inciddent witht the Chief's car, that they had taken care of the problem. This has brought new light to the subject with them and I have no clue what's going to happen. I know that it has already been passed above the chief and it is being handled. Unknown to what extent at this time.

I thought it was aprapoe ..............I see some people just didnt like my humor
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

...I work at Burger King making whoppers with a paper hat...

Would you like an apple pie with that?

Originally posted by Weruj1
    I thought it was aprapoe ..............I see some people just didnt like my humor
    What's there not to like!!!

I notice that '77 did not respond..................and thanks for playing E1321 !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Wait for the bell. Where is the bell? Can't here the bell.
    Last edited by NFD159; 01-08-2004 at 12:03 AM.

We went over to see it today...... Wow, were we impressed.

Ding!

Guess this will be tied in the courts for a while. Did the tank crack or rupture also?

It didn't look like it. It was about 1630, the truck was parked inside and there was still a BIG chunk of ice sticking out.

Exclamation

Not to play devil's advocate here, but...

1. Why didn't your personnel empty the tank and drain the pump prior to taking it to the dealership?

2. Why didn't anyone from your FD go to the dealership just before closing time and verify that the rig was secured inside of the building?

3. The windchill factor has no effect on inanimate objects.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

"Don't bob for fries in hot vat
    it really hurts bad
    and so do skin grafts"

Josh, thanks for the laugh. I was LMAO and the wife just looked at me like I was nuts when I explained it to her.

Seriously though, to the Northwood guys,aside from the fact that these Yo-Yos damaged the truck, you guys seem to have had alot of problems with this rig. Does Ohio's "Lemon Law" apply to fire apparatus? Maybe you can send it back and get it mounted on a GMC chassis...
    Last edited by WTFD10; 01-08-2004 at 12:34 AM.

Default CaptainGonzo

. Why didn't your personnel empty the tank and drain the pump prior to taking it to the dealership?
    . Why didn't anyone from your FD go to the dealership just before closing time and verify that the rig was secured inside of the building?
    . The windchill factor has no effect on inanimate objects.

Regardless of windchill, ambient temp was about 12 degrees.

I kind of thought the same thing when I first heard what happened but after talking to some of the guys, The dealer did not know if they would have the truck overnight, and they were told if they did, not to leave it outside.

As far as going to check, maybe we should have, but after telling them specifically not to leave it outside, you'd think that should have been sufficient.
    Last edited by NFD159; 01-08-2004 at 12:49 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Do What?.....

Originally posted by engine1321
    ...I work at Burger King making whoppers with a paper hat...

I've never seen whoppers with a paper hat.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

http://load.pquinn.com/binaries/fries/

ding.... here are your fries....

Not to play devil's advocate here, but...

1. Why didn't your personnel empty the tank and drain the pump prior to taking it to the dealership?

2. Why didn't anyone from your FD go to the dealership just before closing time and verify that the rig was secured inside of the building?

3. The windchill factor has no effect on inanimate objects.
    As 159 said, it wasn't expected to be there overnight. We expected it to get dropped off, repaired, and back to us later that day. We shouldn't have to go check up on them to see if they parked it inside or not. They were told not to leave it out. And the windchill was just a reference. It was still well below freezing.

Seriously though, to the Northwood guys,aside from the fact that these Yo-Yos damaged the truck, you guys seem to have had alot of problems with this rig. Does Ohio's "Lemon Law" apply to fire apparatus? Maybe you can send it back and get it mounted on a GMC chassis...
    Yes, we have had quite a few problems with this truck, but so far they have all been fixed by the manufacturer. Aside from probably 1500+ extra miles on the truck and not having it for a few months, it has cost us $0.00. I don't believe the Lemon Law would apply to this because it is not a stock vehicle. I think once KME made the modifications to the chasis it can no longer be eligible for the lemon laws. I believe I heard that from somewhere before, so I may be wrong.

And yes I saw your "Ding, Fries are done"

The only thing I have to say to that is

MY NAME'S DONNY
    Last edited by firenresq77; 01-08-2004 at 01:39 AM.

ROFLMMFAO !!!!!!!
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information